'China restricts minors to playing just 3 hours of online video games a week starting September 1'

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The video games thing is neither here nor there. If those kids have other things to do, they won't miss the video games long. And that's just this transitional generation. Future generations who never had unlimited access won't miss them at all. I've seen photos of Chinese kids doing Hitler Youth-esque shit like mortar practice with soldiers. Alarming as fuck, but they do look like they're enjoying themselves.

What's more interesting are the recent stories popping up of China cracking down on tv and movies. Including rumors of cancelling stars like Jackie Chan and Jet Li (eh, it's probably time for both of them anyway), as well as banning depictions of gay or even just "effeminate" men. And supposedly even trying to pressure Hollywood into following suit. Are they trying to ingratiate themselves with Red State Americana? Of course, I have no idea if any of that is real or just clickbait bullshit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What's more interesting are the recent stories popping up of China cracking down on tv and movies. Including rumors of cancelling stars like Jackie Chan and Jet Li (eh, it's probably time for both of them anyway), as well as banning depictions of gay or even just "effeminate" men. And supposedly even trying to pressure Hollywood into following suit. Are they trying to ingratiate themselves with Red State Americana? Of course, I have no idea if any of that is real or just clickbait bullshit.
You want my opinion. All that, coupled with encouraging people to have three babies now. They're preparing for a war in 20 years. You heard it here first.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
You want my opinion. All that, coupled with encouraging people to have three babies now. They're preparing for a war in 20 years. You heard it here first.
Who with? Nintendo?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
They have been at war for the past 20 some years on a cultural and economic levels.

Optimistically, I see the American system winning out simply through inclusiveness. The scientists and engineers who happen to be gay will want to immigrate to the US. The tech visionary who wants to maintain control of their vision for their own company will move out of China (like CZ did, and Jack Ma should have). China’s philosophy is built on weakness.

granted, the US system has a lot of rotted corrupt parts, and hopefully we can self audit and replace them rather than see them take bribes to sell us out. Not sure Biden is the guy for this. But crossing fingers that enough people around him can take the wheel and steer us away from the rocks.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think 20 years might even be a conservative estimate.
There would be hell to pay if the party decides to go to war with so many one-child families. One soldier dies and poof, there goes the future of the family. Multiply that by thousands and you will get something that would amount to Vietnam-levels of "wtf are we even doing" thought. (That said - the border conflict with India in June 2020 was unknown among the Chinese public until January of this year, as well as the deaths with them)

But with three children...one dies, the other two live...it might be more palatable. Gotta wait for them to grow up to fighting age though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
With microwave emitters, the border conflict with India could have even been unknown to them until later on.

StevenK

10 Year Member
There would be hell to pay if the party decides to go to war with so many one-child families. One soldier dies and poof, there goes the future of the family. Multiply that by thousands and you will get something that would amount to Vietnam-levels of "wtf are we even doing" thought. (That said - the border conflict with India in June 2020 was unknown among the Chinese public until January of this year, as well as the deaths with them)

But with three children...one dies, the other two live...it might be more palatable. Gotta wait for them to grow up to fighting age though.
I'm not sure this is how people generally feel about their children

StevenK

10 Year Member
Chinese aren't people
You spend quite a lot of time dehumanising Chinese people. Are you sure it's the Chinese that are readying themselves for war?

StevenK

10 Year Member
You would understand if you lived here. Life is cheap here. Parents don't tell their children "I love you." Different values.
Well fuck it then, I'm all out of objections. Let's kill and eat them.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
They have been at war for the past 20 some years on a cultural and economic levels.

Optimistically, I see the American system winning out simply through inclusiveness. The scientists and engineers who happen to be gay will want to immigrate to the US. The tech visionary who wants to maintain control of their vision for their own company will move out of China (like CZ did, and Jack Ma should have). China’s philosophy is built on weakness.

granted, the US system has a lot of rotted corrupt parts, and hopefully we can self audit and replace them rather than see them take bribes to sell us out. Not sure Biden is the guy for this. But crossing fingers that enough people around him can take the wheel and steer us away from the rocks.
If the only options are the USA or China, then The USA would the the obvious choice . But Singapore is where the rich like to hang out at .
In the next few year we will see a more firm line drawn out in the open for who’s with who in the world.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
well CCP isn't the chinese, so you can differentiate the two.
On topic, I don't see how changes anything. The entire population is already playing through VPNs. It's just another way for local enforcement to police people they dont like.

Off topic. China thinks it wants a war, but it would not do well. It's only real ally is Russia. India's military is massive, and they've provoked them past the point of reconciliation. Taiwan wouldn't fuck around either. And Japan is remilitarizing as fast as possible. No major army in SouthEast asia would support China. The US military isn't their problem.

I don't think another Cold War would have the same results for the US. The US military is run with the efficiency and structure of a communist state now. Our economy still flows through china. China can still afford to make massive mistakes while the Soviets could not.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The US military would embarrass any other great power.

But there is no incentive for the great powers to go to war with each other. It would be suicidal, everyone has nuclear weapons.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Three hours of games is a damn eternity. That's plenty of time to work on a 1cc of any game worth playing. I don't see a problem with that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

But there is no incentive for the great powers to go to war with each other. It would be suicidal, everyone has nuclear weapons.

suicidal is not an option to us.... but's it's completely viable to others....
I'd be more scared of India if I was china. that's a whole other 3rd world war that is brewing. Pakistan has been poking this nest recently as well.
India's army is massive plus they mix US, Russian, and other weaponry. It leaves very little gaps.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m in agreement that that the US, France, England, and probably Russia would not launch their nukes. Israel probably would to preserve their state from an overwhelming attack but I think that’s unlikely to occur.

The other nuclear states? Who knows. The world has gone crazy.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

It’s the extension of Vampiric law that no vampire is allowed to kill another: subsequently no McDonald’s host is allowed to engage in war against another.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I love when armchair politicians in their late 30s and up speak with absurd confidence about international crises that haven't occurred yet

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Need more pages about how trannies shouldnt be in the olympics