What coffee maker do you use? Also brewed coffee vs. coffee concentrates?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My coffeemaker cost me 40 Eurobucks. The one we had before cost around 20 and lasted for 12 years. It would still be alive but one day I forgot to add water and put it on the stove and sat down in the living room. 15 minutes later I smelled fumes, ran over and found the lower part of the coffeemaker glowing red, the plastic handle had fallen off and was melting away. I let the whole thing cool down and had some fun for an hour or two cleaning up the mess. The smell of burnt coffee and molten plastic kept lingering in all the rooms for hours. A winnar is me.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You don't have to spend lots to make good coffee, this part is true. However I subscribe to the lazy American ideal where the machine does all the work. So far the machine has cost me $100 a year, far cheaper than keeping a servant and the longer it operates the cheaper it becomes which is the opposite curve to keeping a servant as they become old and useless.

Sorry I'll put the monocle and tophat down.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Of course the quality and brand of coffee beans is very important too: this is the only brand that we use, Lavazza Oro 100% arabic. Quite expensive, but it's the same that's used in many coffee shops. I'm also a bit partial to Lavazza 'cause I live in Turin, where it was founded (you can visit the headquarters and there's even a museum where you can taste some of their products at the end of the tour)

zQeTZqW.jpg

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I'm not a fan of 100% arabica coffees, my fav mix is 50/50 arabic and robusta. Robusta beans are less oily and have a more bitter taste which IMO balances the sweetish oily arabica very well.

The supermarket we do most of our groceries shopping at offers 50/50 whole beans for around €12 a kilo, apparently it's fair-trade stuff but actually tastes great...

I also go on business trips to Italy two or three times a year and always bring back some nice local coffee and other good stuff. My fav one is Hausbrandt from Trieste which is quite expensive in Germany but can be had in Italy for around 14 a kilo if you know where to shop.

It's always a pleasure to open a new bag. That lovely freshly roasted coffee smell... so good.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Espresso is life.

My coffee bar - Gaggia Classic Pro paired with a Baratza Sette 270 Wi grinder. Typical beans are Lavazza Super Crema, but we source good coffee from all over.

I was a manager for Starbucks for a number of years (long ago). They were invaluable in getting me into coffee, but they did such a good job teaching me about coffee that I hardly bother with them anymore. They roast all their beans too dark - on the "second pop" in the roaster. This is fine for some beans but absolutely ruins the flavor for others.

20230822_055303.jpg

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
My fav one is Hausbrandt from Trieste which is quite expensive in Germany but can be had in Italy for around 14 a kilo if you know where to shop.
Hausbrandt is a good brand too, a restaurant near my home used it (they made it very "ristretto", I don't know how to say it in english) and I liked it a lot.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hausbrandt is a good brand too, a restaurant near my home used it (they made it very "ristretto", I don't know how to say it in english) and I liked it a lot.
Heh, the more ristretto, the betto :)

I'm also very much in love with corretto. Gets you going like nothing else.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Watched a video yesterday where a restaurant put a five dollar tip on takeaway. Fucking insanity.
Everywhere I go now when I tap my card to pay the terminal asks if I want to give a tip or not. I keep asking myself when the hell did this become normal? Minimum wage is well above the tipping line.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Arabica coffees are so ten years ago. Now it's all about knowing where it's grown and when it was roasted. My main thing is buying freshly roasted beans. No grocery store coffee for me.

This is where Starbucks and other second wave coffee shops fail. Starbucks roasts all their beans in Seattle, so you inevitably get beans roasted months ago in their shops.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Arabica coffees are so ten years ago. Now it's all about knowing where it's grown and when it was roasted. My main thing is buying freshly roasted beans. No grocery store coffee for me.

This is where Starbucks and other second wave coffee shops fail. Starbucks roasts all their beans in Seattle, so you inevitably get beans roasted months ago in their shops.

yeah, I feel ya on that and I went that route originally but ... it's just easier (and cheaper) to grab a large container of whole beans of Trader Joe's coffee when I go grocery shopping.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Do Americans tip when someone hands them a coffee?
Every card reader prompts you for a tip these days, even in stores that have historically no business at all asking for a tip. Restaurant staff makes below minimum wage and you get full service, so it makes more sense at least to tip them.

I usually toss baristas a buck or two to encourage them to make it with care.

yeah, I feel ya on that and I went that route originally but ... it's just easier (and cheaper) to grab a large container of whole beans of Trader Joe's coffee when I go grocery shopping.
Meh, although I think I could personally live with just the Dunkin' Donuts whole beans. I like the consistent taste they always have.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Just an FYI servers and traditionally tipped employees in California make at least the state minimum wage. There is no lower rate + tips here.

As for coffee? I drink whatever swill I can get with milk. No sugar.

So yeah I wouldn’t tip a barista because I wouldn’t use their services lol.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
$20 Mr Coffee drip machine

Love, the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket
Like the lost catacombs of Egypt, only God knows where we stuck it
Hieroglyphics, let me be Pacific, I wanna be down in your South Seas
But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean
Means small craft advisory
So if I capsize in your thighs, high tide, B-5, you sunk my battleship
Please turn me on, I'm Mr. Coffee with an automatic drip
So show me yours, I'll show you mine, "Tool Time"
You'll Lovett just like Lyle

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
ove, the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket
Like the lost catacombs of Egypt, only God knows where we stuck it
Hieroglyphics, let me be Pacific, I wanna be down in your South Seas
But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean
Means small craft advisory
So if I capsize in your thighs, high tide, B-5, you sunk my battleship
Please turn me on, I'm Mr. Coffee with an automatic drip
So show me yours, I'll show you mine, "Tool Time"
You'll Lovett just like Lyle

I understand you’re posting lyrics, but at first glance it appears you’ve gone full on Xavier.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I think the Breville Oracle was about $2400 when we bought it. The Breville Nespresso was about $200. I honestly flipped out when my wife wanted to buy the Espresso machine. Its been worth it though and we have had it for a long time now and is working just as good as we first bought it.

Im not a big fan of the bitter taste, im more of the frap type. I like them sweet. i think my goto is white chocolate mocha. I also like frap w/ some alcohol liquor (bailey irish cream/Kahlua)

PXL_20230822_210626636.jpg

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I dont think I would have the patience for an espresso machine after using a Super Automatic. It's not the same quality, but it's a reasonable trade off for me.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I quit drinking coffee a while back but when I did I used a cheap Mr Coffee machine. My go to beans were Pablo's Pride from Sam's Club which I would grind. Nice coffee for the price.