8Bitdo Neo geo wireless controller SNK licensed

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm aware they wore out.
I wasn't effected by it so no, I didn't really pay much attention to it.
I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. I figured that everyone knew the notorious issue with the D-pad on the NeoCD controllers as it was documented and well known that prolonged use of them would eventually wear them down to the point where they were unusable.

Overall I liked the controller a lot but it was depressing that they would break eventually from a lot of use.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I wasn't trying to be an ass about it. I figured that everyone knew the notorious issue with the D-pad on the NeoCD controllers as it was documented and well known that prolonged use of them would eventually wear them down to the point where they were unusable.

Overall I liked the controller a lot but it was depressing that they would break eventually from a lot of use.
Same here. The sticks are my primary Neo controller, especially for fighters, but I like the pads a lot for certain games. When others play with me they may prefer the pads. I've had two of mine die on me over the years (a direction stopped functioning) and the fixes online aren't ideal or easy enough, so when using the pads it feels like it's on borrowed time.

The main draw of the 8bitdo pads for me was an alternative that might have greater longevity. Which is why it's a shame they don't have support for original hardware from the factory. I don't even need them to be wireless.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
According to the measurements from Porkchop Express, the dead zones on the dpad and pressure needed on the buttons are identical and the wireless connection is faster than wired. Link
Was he measuring with controllers that were beat to shit or something? As someone with many real CD controllers, I can tell you that the deadzone activation and feel is way off. I don't doubt Porkchop Express's findings, and he's a good dude, but on a pad that isn't worn you barely have to move the dpad to get it to activate. That's kinda the whole point of the pad.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Was he measuring with controllers that were beat to shit or something? As someone with many real CD controllers, I can tell you that the deadzone activation and feel is way off. I don't doubt Porkchop Express's findings, and he's a good dude, but on a pad that isn't worn you barely have to move the dpad to get it to activate. That's kinda the whole point of the pad.
There's gotta be a way to shorten this throw, I just got one of these and man that is loose af.

NeoSeeD

n00b
I also have real CD controllers and these clones. Porkchop's review says "lightly worn" regarding the OG controllers and personally, I appreciate that he took the time to do scientific measurements versus the "trust me bro" complaints.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

100%.

It’s unfortunate, but the throw is a lot further than any original neo geo cd pad that I own. Oddly enough, the throw on the 8Bitdo pad feels much more in line with the playstation 2 version of the neo geo cd pad:
IMG_1305.jpeg

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
OCMVS.JPG
Got two of the Humble Bazooka bluetooth dongles. Plugged it into my cmvs, got the 8bitdos working no sweat. They are not the same as originals. But for casual bashing with friends... They won't know the difference.

Last edited:

TimKunming

New Challenger
20 Year Member
They're cheap enough and my kids don't know the difference—lets them play Kabuki Klash with ease. I like them.