mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
AES gets a lot of hate.

Mostly for the following reasons best I can tell:
*It is riddled with bootlegs
*It is riddled with collectors who never actually play the games
*The prices for games on the open market is insane

I suggest; AES is no different than any "retro" system and in fact, one can acquire a higher percentage of the AES library than many other "retro" libraries on the same modest hobby budget.

FACTS:
AES JP CIB:
games over $250: 36

SNES US CIB:
games over $250: 47

SAT JP CIB:
games over $250: 17

NES US CIB:
games over $250: 44

MORE:
*A quick look of expensive NES / SNES / MD games shows over 90% of $100+ carts are bootlegged.

*AES games bootlegged are only of carts doing $300+

*While an SNES/NES/MD boot will be easier to verify, it is much more likely your $100 SNES cart is a bootleg than your $300 AES cart

MORE MORE:
*Other cart based retro systems have dedicated reproduction cart sites, dedicated price guide sites, dedicated reproduction BOX sites, dedicated BOX...PROTECTOR sites

What's the point? None. Aside retro collecting is full on mental; BUT, AES is LESS mental than others.

Signed;
AES collector seeking to justify his silliness

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Co-signed. Also, think about how many games still sell for less than MSRP when adjusted for inflation.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Interesting perspective and some good points made there. At the end of the day, all forms of collecting could be viewed as "silliness", and it does come with its occasional share of guilt, but if it brings you joy and keeps you happy & entertained, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The point I always make is that if you sold everything then yes, you would have a bunch of money. Great. Then what? You would eventually get bored, and start collecting again. Because it's what you want. And for those of us who truly do enjoy it, we don't need to apologize to anyone for it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Of course the NES and SNES have a greater quantity of expensive games because they have more expansive libraries than the Neo. How about using a percentage instead of quantity? That'd be a better comparison.

Sure, one can build up a sizable AES collection on the cheap...of mediocre and garbage games. How much to get an AES copy of Puzzle Bobble? Wait, doesn't exist. Well at least there's Shock Troopers. Or not. How about the prices of Metal Slug and NTM on MVS vs those same games on the AES? What about MOTW? And let's not ignore the biggest factor: the EXACT same games are available on the MVS for (in almost all cases) much cheaper than the AES. Which is another place the NES/SNES/Saturn comparison falls apart.

Riding Hero is cheap on AES though so it's got that going for it.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Part of the reason is because of how our forums work. Even though it may be miniscule, I would like to think Neo-geo owners and sega are somewhat conscience of what a fair price is to a certain extent. Additionally, we don't have a million threads like Nintendoage hyping up and speculating games where people fear monger X game is going up. The whole selling forum there is ebay and above prices when you see it, most of the time "for offers" and you can't even say a thing about it since everyone needs their hugbox safe-space over there.

It might be a generalization, but most Nintendo collectors couldn't spot a bootleg to save their ass.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I agree with mjmjr25.

The thrill of the AES format cannot be negated by the notion of "oh yeah, there's a cheaper alternative'.

Sorry naysayers.

Last edited:

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Pretty legit. True true. I always felt most of the aes European memebers were assholes.... (not all! Rot and a whole bunch of them are awesome. Mainly the Italians and French though lol)

Coming off racist huh? :(

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Another good point about AES collecting is the percentage of good games. Blindly collecting for other systems will get you a lot of crap, but on the AES most games are playable or better. Even the sports games are good on Neo Geo!

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I don't know about you guys but I get my neo fix just fine on the MVS.
Though you can bet your asses if I was to ever stumble across a good AES deal that i'd be back in that game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
"AES for ballers; MVS for gamers"

I don't think it can be broken down that simply anymore.

AES for those who'll go to lengths for format/package novelty, MVS for those who won't (shockbox/inserts aren't lengths, kits I suppose are a different beast).

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I play AES more than anything (excluding Hearthstone)

I look at AES more than anything. It's true, it's true - they look nice on my shelves. *gasp*

I think most people seek things that are nice to look at. Books, artwork, cars, girlfriends - why not other mediums?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
There is a certain level of elitism built into the Neo Geo AES as a console.
It's part of the culture, and it has been since day 1 with the official SNK ad campaigns.

It was expensive to get into when it was new, and it remains expensive to get into today, decades later. While SNES has more games above $250, the average price of games on SNES remain lower. A new gamer can build a respectable collection of 10+ favorites for $500.
At $500, the AES gamer can pay for maybe 5 games and the console.

I'm just glad MVS exists at a more palatable price point.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
What happens when you compare games over $1000, $2000, etc?

Also what about quality of game versus price? Going only AES and denying yourself Metal Slug because it's obscenely expensive is a damn shame. Never mind finding one for sale in the first place.

And I'm a fellow AES collectard.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Honestly owning each platform AES/MVS/CD can be rewarding and you can mix & match to get everything you'd want out of the library in a fiscally responsible way. (well sorta)

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I play AES more than anything (excluding Hearthstone)

I look at AES more than anything. It's true, it's true - they look nice on my shelves. *gasp*

I think most people seek things that are nice to look at. Books, artwork, cars, girlfriends - why not other mediums?

^This right the hell here. Except the looking part, mine are all in shipping boxes from the last 3 moves I have done. Way to much trouble.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I have a bunch of AES games but barely play them on the actual AES. It's just so much easier to play them on an emulator where I setup my autofire exactly how I want, practice much easier with save states at the touch of a button, not have to lug all that shit around if I want to play it somewhere else, etc.

Laptop > AES.

Honestly I think you'd have to be a fucking idiot to be buying AES games "just to play them" at this point. This goes for most other systems out there as well, especially those that have flash carts and good emulators. The only point of buying expensive 25 year old vintage games is for collecting, playing them is nothing but a side benefit at this point.

Last edited:

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner
^This right the hell here. Except the looking part, mine are all in shipping boxes from the last 3 moves I have done. Way to much trouble.

Mine were until recently. I put them up to glow from my book shelf.