AES Collecting - justfacts.org

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I should have said "expensive" AES games. Playing Fatal Fury or Ninja Combat or whatever is one thing. But who is buying Metal Slug X or MOTW on AES "just to play"?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Emulators are nice and all but I and many other just prefer the whole console experience. Just plug and play and everything works. Emulators cannot and will never beat that.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Emulators are nice and all but I and many other just prefer the whole console experience. Just plug and play and everything works. Emulators cannot and will never beat that.

That's what an MVS + multicart is for.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I do agree that AES games are very nice to look at. The same can also be said for a complete MVS Kit collection. I think there is still a happy medium of having MVS games with nice looking inserts on well made Shock Boxes on a shelf. You can still look at them but play the hell out of them as well.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I should have said "expensive" AES games. Playing Fatal Fury or Ninja Combat or whatever is one thing. But who is buying Metal Slug X or MOTW on AES "just to play"?

I bought Blazing Star AES just to play lol.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Why else would you buy a video game?

A 25 year old video game? To collect them and put them on a shelf, playing it is only a side benefit. You don't need a $3000 AES cartridge to play Blazing Star. Only someone with serious metal issues spends that kind of money for no other reason that just playing the game.

If a rational person just want to play it then they'd buy a much cheaper MVS cart or multicart, or just emulate it.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Why? Because I wanted to.

How much? Why do you care dad?

Because it doesn't make any sense. If you had said I bought it to collect and put it on a shelf or to resell it I'd actual believe that. But I don't believe you dropped that kind of money simply to play blazing star.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
A 25 year old video game? To collect them and put them on a shelf, playing it is only a side benefit. You don't need a $3000 AES cartridge to play Blazing Star. Only someone with serious metal issues spends that kind of money for no other reason that just playing the game.

If a rational person just want to play it then they'd buy a much cheaper MVS cart or multicart, or just emulate it.

It appears that you'd don't understand esoteric mental thrill of ultimate physical game incarnation.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
It appears that you'd don't understand esoteric mental thrill of ultimate physical game incarnation.

I do on some level, but I'm also not going to lie to myself and say I bought Metal Slug X AES "just so I could finally play it".

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Because it doesn't make any sense. If you had said I bought it to collect and put it on a shelf or to resell it I'd actual believe that. But I don't believe you dropped that kind of money simply to play blazing star.

If you knew Marty at all you'd know that is 100% the answer. He is absolute monster gamer and wants the best games and experiences.

As for emulators and multi-carts - I haven't found a modern console system (PS3 and beyond) or PC emulator or multicart that doesn't have some issues. Either with gameplay, or needing a system update, or servers not online, or packet needs defragmenting. Some of us...a lot of us, don't care to deal with that. That doesn't even touch on the moral dilemmas some may have in addition. Also - that esoteric stuff, which I call AESBONER.

uiengineer

Kasumi Todoh's Training Partner

I play my US Slug 3 and 5.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
AES just doesn't make a lot of sense for me. I'd have to find one with good RGB output, I'd have to get it modded for UNIBIOS, and then I'd have to pay way more for the same games I can already get on MVS/CD. For the price of Metal Slug 1 or Garou on AES you could buy literally dozens of MVS and CD games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I play my US Slug 3 and 5.

Yeah, but you see.

There's "play" and there's play.

It appears that today, serious players only need functionality, and when that can be achieved through emulation, or an equally functional means, then the high price + package nonsense that comes with owning many games is obviously foolish.

Most of the people paying insane prices to buy games, are just caught up in the bullshit, not the game itself. pegboy is a skilled player, so I think I get where he's coming from as far as his bewilderment goes.

I think people in his camp (not to pigeonhole him), truly think people are lying to themselves to "play" these games, because well, most of them are lying, and they're not really playing.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Anyone who says they are spending thousands of dollars on a single game for the sole purpose of playing a 25 year old video games is either a liar, a moron, or has a mental disorder.

And this is coming from someone who has spent thousands of dollars on a single game multiple times. But I'm not doing it to pretend I'm some sort of "real gamer".

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You're right, you buy it 20 years ago and laugh at the retards who are spending thousands today, or use other avenues to play it and again, laugh at the retards who are spending thousands today.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Emualation is far better for serious/competitive play most of the time because you don't have to deal with hardware failures and other bullshit giving you problems (Cough MVS converters cough). You can also practice shit much easier and have autofire controls and all that other stuff that requires even more hardware to achieve on a real system. You don't have to worry about all that crap and can just focus on the game itself.

Also, most people that are playing AES games exclusively are probably awful at them. Not all, but most.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Only someone with serious metal issues spends that kind of money for no other reason that just playing the game.

Every reason to spend money is justified, because you paid in your own time currency to get it in the first place. Time is an abstract concept, so is money, yet it's the former that happens to be the most precious and invaluable we got, the latter's just renewable resource. Unfortunately, no one has the definitive concept on how to spent the most precious, so, naturally, we can burn its offspring anyway we please.

Paradoxically emulation is in large parts responsible for the price inflation we witness. There's a certain sickness in getting every little thing up for grabs, it robs our ambition and motivation: And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain... he wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer. Take a good look, Hans was right... thank God there's enough plastic pop-culture trash to conquer yet, for more than ten lifetimes. Capitalism's finest, ready to go on your shelf or slot, whatever.