Aleste Collection (PS4, Switch)

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Aleste-Branch_09-16-20.jpg
Assleste looks like it has a stiff spaceship design.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Neat that it's coming but come on now no musha :shame:

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Whats up Neo Alec, my thoughts exactly. A follow-up collection with MUSHA and Robo Aleste or even some sort of HD treatment for MUSHA would definitely draw attention.

They should have added MUSHA, Robo Aleste, Spriggan, and perhaps Blazing Lazers as a bonus game to this release from the get go IMO

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
So why not lead with them or give people what they truly want? If this doesn’t do well they can blame that as the reason to not deliver the games that would truly cause a buzz.

Because the companies are getting hip to the fact that they can release just about any shit as long as it's physical and seemingly limited and the noobs will eat it up.

They should have added MUSHA, Robo Aleste, Spriggan, and perhaps Blazing Lazers as a bonus game to this release from the get go IMO

I also wish all of these collections were much larger and were as comprehensive as possible. Though regarding the target consumer of these releases, I'm not so sure "noobs" are even their intended audience for these types of obscure series collections when they are developed. These collections tend to be made almost exclusively for longtime hardcore japanese fans rather than for worldwide appeal. Also, this is likely also just a passion project for M2 to begin with.

For example, despite what international fans may think about the relationship between the aftermarket price of MUSHA and its actual popularity overall (including whatever it's total sales were on the international Wii Virtual Console stores years ago), Sega still decided to keep MUSHA exclusive to the japanese Mega Drive Mini console release. The fact that they didn't even bother to include it on the mini console release might indicate that Sega may not think the game even has enough draw in the western market.

Of course, companies like Limited Run Games, Strictly Limited Games, etc may try to seize the opportunity to release their own physical versions of these types of japanese retro compilations, but that seems to be a trickle down effect rather than the intended audience when these obscure collections are developed in japan.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I also wish all of these collections were much larger and were as comprehensive as possible. Though regarding the target consumer of these releases, I'm not so sure "noobs" are even their intended audience for these types of obscure series collections when they are developed. These collections tend to be made almost exclusively for longtime hardcore japanese fans rather than for worldwide appeal. Also, this is likely also just a passion project for M2 to begin with.

My take is they’re milking it. They can make multiple collections to price at 50+ each. What’s the next one going to be? Musha, Spriggan and Robo Aleste?

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic; but I haven’t seen anything about them bringing these toaplan ports to PS4 like they said- I feel like this stuff is some filler.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

For example, despite what international fans may think about the relationship between the aftermarket price of MUSHA and its actual popularity overall (including whatever it's total sales were on the international Wii Virtual Console stores years ago), Sega still decided to keep MUSHA exclusive to the japanese Mega Drive Mini console release. The fact that they didn't even bother to include it on the mini console release might indicate that Sega may not think the game even has enough draw in the western market.

Of course, companies like Limited Run Games, Strictly Limited Games, etc may try to seize the opportunity to release their own physical versions of these types of japanese retro compilations, but that seems to be a trickle down effect rather than the intended audience when these obscure collections are developed in japan.
Look around in this thread. There are a lot of people in here that are long time shooter fans. This isn't for us, we've already payed these games. They're for the YouTube collector crowd.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Look around in this thread. There are a lot of people in here that are long time shooter fans. This isn't for us, we've already payed these games. They're for the YouTube collector crowd.

They could save money and just send a pretty, empty box for that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They could save money and just send a pretty, empty box for that.

It would be years before anyone noticed.

Fuck, even with the wide release of Mario 3D All Stars that everybody HAD TO HAVE because Nintendo said LIMITED I've only seen a handful of people actually play it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah that's a deciding factor for me also. Robo Aleste also.

I'd like it in the collection for completeness' sake, but I have a hard time getting into Denin / Robo.

Kid Fenris

Rugal's Thug
10 Year Member
I usually don't mind M2 drip-feeding their ports because they often add new features, like extra modes or playable characters. They've haven't mentioned what they're doing for the Aleste Collection yet, though.

It was painful for me to realize that Eternal Champions, Earthworm Jim, and that lousy version of Virtua Fighter 2 were bigger draws than MUSHA.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'd like it in the collection for completeness' sake, but I have a hard time getting into Denin / Robo.

I liked them both but I always hated how MUSHA's price shot up. Even tho I have a copy, I love the game but it's not a $500.00 value game to me.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I know many feel this collection is a cash-grab, but another title in this collection was just announced. The inclusion of a brand new title made to the game gear’s specifications just helps to show that this is yet another passion/fan project for M2 if nothing else (similar to their decision to challenge their team to retrofit home console version bosses into their port of Fantasy Zone):

“Aleste Collection will include GG Aleste 3, an all-new title made for Game Gear, in addition to its previously announced four titles, developer M2 announced.

A completely new Aleste world, everything including GG Aleste 3‘s programming, graphics, and sound was developed to the limits of Game Gear’s specifications.“

Aleste-Collection_GG-Aleste-3_09-26-20_002.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Really looking forward to the new game! M2 knows their shit.

fake

15 Year Member
Wow, def looking forward to GGA3.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’m looking forward to the new game getting extracted do I can play it with the rest of these on my Everdrive.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
I usually hate physical releases like the Toaplan stuff, but I feel OK about this.

ChopstickSamurai

Sup Chopstick Samurai, it might be sooner than you think:

That is actually really cool. If you could just buy it for a reasonable price and not part of an expensive set, I’d be all over that. As it is I look forward to the ROM leaking. [emoji1]

ChopstickSamurai

So has anyone been able to get their hands on GG Aleste 3? Would love to take this for a spin on original hardware.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Assleste looks like it has a stiff spaceship design.

I wonder if anyone at Compile is even involved in this. Also, nice ass shot. Gotta appeal to the doll fuckers I spose

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
So has anyone been able to get their hands on GG Aleste 3? Would love to take this for a spin on original hardware.

It's baller. The whole collection is, really. You can turn off hardware limitations so these games all play at a locked 60hz with no slowdown. Makes them all feel fresh and new again.

GG3, though, is a killer game. It's one of those "really? They did what on this hardware? How did they do that?" That said, if you run it under hardware mode there is a fuck ton of slowdown. Any of your weapons at max power makes the game feel like you're moving through molasses and kills a lot of the challenge. I'm sure it will be a cool novelty to run it on a real GG eventually, but after playing it without those limitations that's all it would be to me, novelty.

I wonder if anyone at Compile is even involved in this. Also, nice ass shot. Gotta appeal to the doll fuckers I spose

M2 brought back much of the original team and composer from Compile, so it's as close as a real, true Aleste sequel could get in 2021.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
M2 brought back much of the original team and composer from Compile, so it's as close as a real, true Aleste sequel could get in 2021.

That's good to hear. I'm still going with a wait and see approach, but encouraging nonetheless.

fake

15 Year Member
I got owned on Aleste, but have a grasp on GG 3. Suuuuper impressive game.