AOF 1993 SNK USA Contest Flyer - Historic?

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
Going through my Neo collecting days box full of MVS art, and found these in a package I received from SNK USA way back in the 90's, pretty cool, its dated 1993. Does anyone remember this contest? Too late to enter?:) "DUDE, did you see the size of those sprites?!"

Any idea of value? Pricless? NGF LEVEL?!:)

Lee (garg7)

Attachments

• IMG_6258.jpg
    IMG_6258.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I believe these contest flyers were included with English AoF kits. I have a few of them myself.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
First I'd ever seen them. Definitely a rarity now. How much they're worth is anyone's guess, but I doubt it's all that much.

It would either have to be complete, dumb luck or some kind of insider knowledge to figure that shit out.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
So uhh… whats the fifth magical power move input? Are we just talking f hcf punch?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Did you get these flyers on this forum, by chance? I had some and sold them here a good long while ago. I would have plundered them out of a Neo Geo cab at an arcade I worked at a long time ago.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The problem is figuring you can do it on less than 25% health with your spirit bar mostly full. How many chances would you get to perform this move in an arcade setting? Only someone very observant and persistent would think of wasting quarters trying every combination of buttons when the main character sprite subtly lowers his guard under 25% health.

Fygee

20 Year Member
All the more reason why the winner truly was worthy of earning a Neo-Geo AES. Good luck figuring that shit out at the arcade in late 92/early 93.

Speaking rare SNK stuff, anyone have that deck of cards that was given out for second place?

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
All the more reason why the winner truly was worthy of earning a Neo-Geo AES. Good luck figuring that shit out at the arcade in late 92/early 93.

Speaking rare SNK stuff, anyone have that deck of cards that was given out for second place?
was wondering same thing, but I hope to god that post doesnt bring any NGF into the room:)

gargoyle7

20 Year Member
speaking of which

THE FIRST PERSON TO POST THE PICTURE OF DAKIS AND HIS HAIRY NEANDERTHAL STEROID BUDDIES ON MOTORCYCLES GETS A FREE FLYER

I have 3, I'm serious:)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's just a low-res scan, I have an extremely rare NGF-exclusive physical copy:

(thanks for the art pack wataru330)

QplUju4.jpg

metouto

n00b
Going through my Neo collecting days box full of MVS art, and found these in a package I received from SNK USA way back in the 90's, pretty cool, its dated 1993. Does anyone remember this contest lifting acrylic nails? Too late to enter?:) "DUDE, did you see the size of those sprites?!"

Any idea of value? Pricless? NGF LEVEL?!:)

Lee (garg7)
The value of collectible items like the ones you described can vary greatly depending on factors such as rarity, condition, demand, and the preferences of potential buyers. To determine the value of your items, it may be helpful to research similar items that have been sold in the past. Online marketplaces, auction sites, and forums dedicated to Neo Geo collecting could provide insights into the market value and demand for these specific items. Additionally, reaching out to collectors or experts in Neo Geo collecting communities might give you more specific information and help you determine the potential value of your items. It's worth noting that the sentimental value and personal significance of these items can also play a role in their worth to you. Ultimately, the value of collectibles is subjective and can vary from person to person.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
gargoyle7, thanks for sharing this. So many incredible things about this flyer.

Number one, the fact that SNK believed the arcade operator would even bother to hang up this paper instead of just throwing it away.

Number two, the fact that SNK said they would have a thousand runner-up prizes. My God, imagine how many arcade operators hung up this paper in the first place, and who would even bother to write in in the first place? Anyone bringing a pen and paper to an arcade to write down the address? How many even tried, eight? No more than 20, at least.

Number three, a nice reminder about an age before the internet, when secrets were still sacred. Couldn't do this contest nowadays of course. Hell, couldn't even do it in 2001 maybe.

Fygee

20 Year Member
GameFaqs destroyed the sacredness of game secrets like this. Fine with me as having to figure this stuff out from word of mouth, experimentation, or getting lucky seeing it in a game mag feels like the dark ages.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
gargoyle7, thanks for sharing this. So many incredible things about this flyer.

Number one, the fact that SNK believed the arcade operator would even bother to hang up this paper instead of just throwing it away.

Number two, the fact that SNK said they would have a thousand runner-up prizes. My God, imagine how many arcade operators hung up this paper in the first place, and who would even bother to write in in the first place? Anyone bringing a pen and paper to an arcade to write down the address? How many even tried, eight? No more than 20, at least.

Number three, a nice reminder about an age before the internet, when secrets were still sacred. Couldn't do this contest nowadays of course. Hell, couldn't even do it in 2001 maybe.
Reminds me of when Atari Games came out with a contest for Gauntlet II. First prize was a $5000 U.S. Savings bond and the first 500 entries got a special Gauntlet II black t-shirt with puffy dragon on it. All you had to do was find the secret room, then complete the task given. The game would then give you a special code that you had 30 seconds to write down and send to Atari to enter the contest, limit one per person.

I believe someone from Alaska won the $5k while there weren't even 500 entries submitted for the contest. The arcade I was working at had a total of eight entries and yes, I do have that t-shirt in my closet along with the promotional poster.

Gemant

Member,
The first secret super move to be introduced in an arcade vs fighting game was Ryuuko Rambu from Ryuuko no Ken (Art of Fighting). Since Art of Fighting was SNK's flagship game and the first title of the famous 100 mega shock series, it was decided to exploit the idea of the super move to push the image of the game to the maximum. SNK thought it well to advertise it widely by organizing a prize competition. Basically it was necessary to guess Ryuuko Rambu's execution by writing the solution directly to SNK. The first 10,000 winners would be awarded an exclusive deck of Ryuuko no Ken cards. The competition was announced in issue no. 78 of Gamest released on August 30, 1992, and the solution was always published in the same magazine on 11-30-1992.

Curiously, SNK of America copied the initiative a few months later, when the solution was already known to the Japanese public, calling a contest called MASTER THE MAGIC CONTEST, publishing it in Game Pro magazine and, probably, on other sources. The formula was the same, but America.... you know, it's richer. So the first prize was a brand new NEO GEO GOLD. Plus the smaller prizes for the next 1100 who would guess the answer.

The green advertising flyer indicates that in May 1993 the contest winners will be published on Game Pro.

There was a winner for the MASTER THE MAGIC CONTEST, actually there were 3 of them. The news was published in the July 1993 issue of Game Pro. From the article it seems that each of them won a Neo Geo Gold System. I can therefore deduce that out of the 1101 prizes up for grabs, only these three players discovered the super move.

Attachments

• aof1.jpg
    aof1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 15
  • aof2.jpg
    aof2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 15
  • aof3.jpg
    aof3.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 15

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
That’s funny, when I ordered my copy, the dude sent me a copy of a fax he got that had all the super moves. I always forget his name but was from VISUAL RUSH.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The first secret super move to be introduced in an arcade vs fighting game was Ryuuko Rambu from Ryuuko no Ken (Art of Fighting). Since Art of Fighting was SNK's flagship game and the first title of the famous 100 mega shock series, it was decided to exploit the idea of the super move to push the image of the game to the maximum. SNK thought it well to advertise it widely by organizing a prize competition. Basically it was necessary to guess Ryuuko Rambu's execution by writing the solution directly to SNK. The first 10,000 winners would be awarded an exclusive deck of Ryuuko no Ken cards. The competition was announced in issue no. 78 of Gamest released on August 30, 1992, and the solution was always published in the same magazine on 11-30-1992.

Curiously, SNK of America copied the initiative a few months later, when the solution was already known to the Japanese public, calling a contest called MASTER THE MAGIC CONTEST, publishing it in Game Pro magazine and, probably, on other sources. The formula was the same, but America.... you know, it's richer. So the first prize was a brand new NEO GEO GOLD. Plus the smaller prizes for the next 1100 who would guess the answer.

The green advertising flyer indicates that in May 1993 the contest winners will be published on Game Pro.

There was a winner for the MASTER THE MAGIC CONTEST, actually there were 3 of them. The news was published in the July 1993 issue of Game Pro. From the article it seems that each of them won a Neo Geo Gold System. I can therefore deduce that out of the 1101 prizes up for grabs, only these three players discovered the super move.
@LoneSage get in