Applying for a job in America in 2024

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I can add that my company gives all leadership quarterly reports on their POC and Women percentages. The recruiter also made sure all my new applications had POC and women before I could start the process.

Meanwhile, my wife works in an industry where 95% of her team is consistently women. One department was 38 women, 1 man.
HR/Payroll.

I've worked in advertising for 20+ years and have also seen a similar shift. People don't realize too, that these larger corps hire someone to manage this aspect of their hiring and its HIGHLY discriminatory. Again, tax credits...AKA bribes

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As dumb as this all is, I would not recommend discussing any contention about it the workplace.
There's no logic to the policy, and there will be no reason or rationale in the discussion either. It's a losing scenario.

I would also be careful with anonymous workplace survey's and feedback. Our last round was somehow not that annonymous.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
As dumb as this all is, I would not recommend discussing any contention about it the workplace.
There's no logic to the policy, and there will be no reason or rationale in the discussion either. It's a losing scenario.

I would also be careful with anonymous workplace survey's and feedback. Our last round was somehow not that annonymous.

totally, I hesitated even bitching about it here - which again, is a symptom of the problem. Can't even discuss.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just left my job a few weeks ago and thus applied for a bunch of things and would just select "Prefer not to say" and I still got a slew of callbacks and responses. Not trying to diminish your outrage as you do you, but if you're not forced to answer then I don't really see an issue personally (being forced to answer is a different story.)
These types of things shouldn't be asked, regardless of whether they are used for quotas or not.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I understand the objection, but until they outlaw face to face interviews as part of the selection process there's no getting round the fact that hot slut is getting the job over fat pancake tits.

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
Right? The first time I noticed I showed my boss and she had no idea how the university was getting away with putting something like that in a job posting. Not like she could've done anything about it.

Oddly enough, one such research position that I was interested in and qualified for had that "strongly encouraged" blurb in their posting. I looked up the team via the school's website. Half were East Asian and the other half were Indian. I didn't bother applying. Still a wee bit salty about it.
probably all for the better. you'd be mad and complain about how smelly they are like the chinese dude.

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
I understand the objection, but until they outlaw face to face interviews as part of the selection process there's no getting round the fact that hot slut is getting the job over fat pancake tits.
so you are presuming their race, gender, and sex appeal by their external appearance? you fucking nazi. this forum is becoming more and more right-wing.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Hasn't every online job app that isn't for a mom and pop company asked for this stuff since forever? I remember seeing it in the 00s.
Yeah seems like to me it was started to snatch up welfare moms.

I've always said that it's illegal & BS and that I would never participate but every-time I fill out and application I do. (sucker)
It's never gotten me anywhere either.. or maybe if so it was the worst job imaginable that no one else would do.
I qualify for one or more classes of protected status as well.

For a looong time my applications went off into dark space.
Right now (and for a few years) I'm getting a near 100% interview and offer ratio but ghosted on hiring/on-boarding day.

Toaster Strudel

back to basics
15 Year Member
For a looong time my applications went off into dark space.
Right now (and for a few years) I'm getting a near 100% interview and offer ratio but ghosted on hiring/on-boarding day.
what does "ghosted on hiring/on-boarding day" mean? aren't you already hired at that point then?

Xavier

20 Year Member
what does "ghosted on hiring/on-boarding day" mean? aren't you already hired at that point then?
One would think.

I'm not given the official link/address or time to start work.
Conversation goes something like this, we think you'll be a good fit pay is $75k a year plus benefits
work is 35 hours a week Monday through Friday.
On-boarding is the first Monday next month and you'll be sent the information via mail or email in the next week or two.

Once it gets closer to that date and well past the window of when I should have gotten the information I start trying to contact everyone to no avail.
In their defense nobody ever said the exact phrase congratulations you're hired.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member

That’s a call from HR . Stay off social media about anything social, religion or political related stuff . Those can land you in hot waters .

Xavier

20 Year Member
That’s a call from HR . Stay off social media about anything social, religion or political related stuff . Those can land you in hot waters .
I believe it.

I've got (or had) shy of 200 people on Facebook (almost all real people that I know) and almost none of them engage in the above unless they're retired, unemployment or have shitty jobs that are already punishment in themselves. LinkedIn is the same or worse.

Cancel culture is real. I've been doing something in the office a bunch at factories when HR answers the phone and I hear them say what does that have to do with that person and the job functions they have to do here? Then after listening for awhile they go on the say listen I can't get anybody else to do this job do you want a world without these widgets? More pause.. listen that job is pretty miserable, you'd be happier if they were at home on the dole watching Jerry Springer? I'm sure after the 3,000 call they can get tired of it though.

I don't understand how they get thorough in the first place.
I can never get through to anybody, they have the ringer off and it goes straight to a full voicemailbox.
Maybe they called corporate and make some sort of arrangement.

For instance I was a mailman for a minute and somehow I would hear the phone ring and some Joe would complain about me and why he hasn't got his disability check yet to the post master. They stopped answering the phone in the mid nineties and route everything to 1800ASKUPS. Must be because it's a podunk town and they still have the number since then and pass it around.

Anyways it's the modern version of censorship.