Atari Selling Repro PCBs

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
If this has been mentioned previously, forgive me, but I was surprised to see Atari selling officially licensed PCBs of their classic games. Apparently, like everything else at this time of year, they are on sale too:

Major Havoc, Rev. E
Food Fight
Gravitar
Warlords

They even have different revisions of certain games:
Major Havoc, Rev. D

Couple these with something like the Unico Jamma Candy Cab, Supergun, or a real arcade cab and one is in business.

It would be great if other companies got into the market.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
They are bare unpopulated boards.

“On one side of the board the original arcade marquee has been printed in full-color, along with a brief history of the title and gameplay instructions. These non-functioning display boards are produced in very limited quantities. “

That’s a hefty price tag to put a pcb on a wall.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
They look like bare boards, intended as art pieces. I wonder if they'd actually run if you populated them.

Also - I wonder if they come with the license to use the original software.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
disappointed-fridge.gif

This gif works for pretty much all hardware from modern Atari.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Food Fight is such a fun game.
I play the 7800 version on my Analogue Pocket

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I am not sure what good they are as-is and apparently that is not how they are supposed to be in the end, "[t]he newest Major Havoc PCB Board is here! Revision E spreads out the placement of chip sockets, making it easier to install chips and keep them from getting too cramped."

The funny thing then is, what does it matter what revision the board is if it is unpopulated anyway?

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Yeah not JAMMA of course. I didn't realise the greedy bastards had omitted to add the chips. How ridiculous.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm sure it's impossible to source most of the chips new. What do you expect? That's why all new hardware uses FPGA or emulation system-on-a-chip now.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I'm sure it's impossible to source most of the chips new. What do you expect? That's why all new hardware uses FPGA or emulation system-on-a-chip now.
Most of that atari stuff uses off the shelf components; its why a lot of the older crowd loves them- they're still fixable.

I'm sure they could do it, but imo they're going for maximum profit with minimal effort.