Car Enthusiast Thread

TonK

Least Valuable Player
well my issue is more with car dealers than anything. i recently was looking into getting out of my mark VIII and getting into a miata. but being 22 without any sort of established credit, no co-signer, and an older american car to trade in gets you laughed at. but then i remembered i had financed the lincoln had i not? so where's the credit from that?

well it turns out i had gotten it at what's known as a note on lot dealer. meaning they finance based on confidence and job history, so i'd spent a year of my time paying on a car and not getting any benefit from it. so i've gone from dealer to dealer, test driving miatas, and telling them my story. and the finally yesterday at the saturn dealership i learned some valuable information. according to the consumer credit protection act; anything you payfor that has a finance charge or APR has to be reported to credit bureaus upon the buyers request. and that's the law. so now i've opened a whole new can of worms. because i've been paying early, making all my payments and never missing a one.

so i checked my papers, my contract, and terms. there's an APR, a finance charge, and even some "miscellaneous fees" so now i'm going to have to jump down that dealers throat and get my shit taken care of. i didn't know it was legal for such a dealer to exist that doesn't report back to a creditor. but at the same time i guess there's shit out there designed to protect the consumer from such business. though most consumers don't know it in the first place.

Dude, I'm sure you could get financed somewhere - problem is, NOBODY is lending out money right now due to panic on Wall Street and banks closing daily.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Dude, I'm sure you could get financed somewhere - problem is, NOBODY is lending out money right now due to panic on Wall Street and banks closing daily.

well yeah and at the same time i don't have anyone who'd cosign with me. if i could get that then i'd be golden but no one would. so i'm down to using the consumer credit protection act and legality to getting the benefits from this car i've been paying off. other than of course having a car.

and sonic no, no credit cards, don't believe in em. i'd rather spend my own money instead of pay back a company after spending theirs. only times one should need credit are with massive purchases from furniture to mortgages. but i guess what tonk said is true. it's hard to get any credit this day and age with the crisis on.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Well kim herein lies the problem you need credit to have credit. Doesnt make sense right. Credit is like a gang, you need to get jumped in (credit cards with high ass rates and such) after you pay for your raping other companies will offer to rape you less if you agree to just let them fondle your balls a little (better rates higher limits)

So just get a shitty card and take your ass pounding like a man and build your credit otherwise if you wait till you want something like a car or house enjoy your 5 to 30 year ass pounding.

Serouisly though I have a friend who makes enough to buy a house but no one will finance him becuase of his lack of credit history, he didnt believe in credit cards either. Now he has a credit card and needs to wait till his shit builds up to get a decent interest rate to buy a house.

You can have credit without using a card but you wont have that awesome rating that gets you low ass payments.

edit: Or join a credit union.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Well kim herein lies the problem you need credit to have credit. Doesnt make sense right. Credit is like a gang, you need to get jumped in (credit cards with high ass rates and such) after you pay for your raping other companies will offer to rape you less if you agree to just let them fondle your balls a little (better rates higher limits)

So just get a shitty card and take your ass pounding like a man and build your credit otherwise if you wait till you want something like a car or house enjoy your 5 to 30 year ass pounding.

Serouisly though I have a friend who makes enough to buy a house but no one will finance him becuase of his lack of credit history, he didnt believe in credit cards either. Now he has a credit card and needs to wait till his shit builds up to get a decent interest rate to buy a house.

You can have credit without using a card but you wont have that awesome rating that gets you low ass payments.

edit: Or join a credit union.

well see i've been told to join a credit union for ages. and i've wanted to for just that long. i think i might just do that. close my account with chase, join a union, and see how that works out. likely close the chase account in november when i get off my tmobile contract and switch to a pay as you go phone cause they're screwing me too. but i digress. what does a credit union do for you that a bank wont?

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
They will loan you money :) if you get an account with them and keep it in good standing they are more likely to lend you money for rates banks wont. Be warned, credit unions WILL get their money, they are pretty cut throat. Dont ask me why they can lend like that, I guess thats a question for wikipedia.

Also I know you said you are going to cancel your tmobile and get some pay as you go service but I would suggest not to go pay as you go. Cell companies like tmobile make your credit look good if you pay on time, just about any revolving bill you get looks good to potential lenders (water bill, electric bill, phone bill, cable bill etc.) shows you are responsible.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it's not a bad idea to have a credit card, if you are responsible.

I've needed it for car repairs when i didn't have cash on hand. It's a nice backup for such occasions. I still have the same one from a decade ago. The APR is shit, but it helps your credit to have a long standing credit account.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
car runs.

i got my pcm back from getting tuned. as far as i can tell its a noticeable improvement, but then again any car feels like an f1 car after driving the caprice for a week.

SSS

neo retired
just got done installing a bank's exhaust on my truck. took waaaay longer than I had hoped (6 hours! :annoyed:) . I had to hack off then drill out the factory studs on the cats, tried to remove the nuts carefully with plenty of break away, and heating with a turbo torch. but the threads just ate themselves.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Code:
[b]run 1[/b]
r/t...   .578
60'...  2.338
330...  7.203
1/8... 11.349
MPH... 58.57
1/4... 17.994
MPH... 74.61

[b]run 2[/b]
r/t...   .611
60'...  2.374
330...  7.214
1/8... 11.329
MPH... 58.95
1/4... 17.965
MPH... 74.58

lol

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
car runs.

i got my pcm back from getting tuned. as far as i can tell its a noticeable improvement, but then again any car feels like an f1 car after driving the caprice for a week.

My friend had a caprice, the police model with the huge v8 in it. It was like driving a speed boat on land. I thought it was fun.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
just got done installing a bank's exhaust on my truck. took waaaay longer than I had hoped (6 hours! :annoyed:) . I had to hack off then drill out the factory studs on the cats, tried to remove the nuts carefully with plenty of break away, and heating with a turbo torch. but the threads just ate themselves.

Woo, big tymer with the Bank$ exhaust...

lol - engineering

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Went to E-Town with notsonic. In his post a few up, you can see he ran 17.9's lolz. I ran 14.1 @ 98 mph bone stock. Not bad for a 15 year old car. Time to upgrade that shit.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
id rather put less than half that into mine and go faster :p

but in all seriousness.

one guy thinks my cam is significantly worn which is why i just dont go anywhere in the high rpms.

its my daily driver, has an assload of miles on it, and im not trying to be fast in the first place, just the ability to have fun around some corners.

i will be doing an engine swap or rebuild though, its not staying like this. i've modded pretty much everything else possible.

TonK

Least Valuable Player

but in all seriousness.

one guy thinks my cam is significantly worn which is why i just dont go anywhere in the high rpms.

its my daily driver, has an assload of miles on it, and im not trying to be fast in the first place, just the ability to have fun around some corners.

i will be doing an engine swap or rebuild though, its not staying like this. i've modded pretty much everything else possible.

If everything is in good working order, an engine swap is the way to go.

Some taller gears as well.

You have all the makings of a Z28 minus the badges and engine.

@ Drizzle - nice fucking run man - throw a Sneaky Pete on there for third gear and you'll be @ 13.9 or lower.

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

but in all seriousness.

What engine are you going to put in there? If it isnt a straight drop in you may want to think twice and just go with a rebuild. Custom fab work can get expensive and real frustrating if you do it yourself (you never seem to have the right goddamned tool!!!!!!!) Also depending on the engine you may have to do a whole driveline swap too, needless to say it gets pricey.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
What engine are you going to put in there? If it isnt a straight drop in you may want to think twice and just go with a rebuild. Custom fab work can get expensive and real frustrating if you do it yourself (you never seem to have the right goddamned tool!!!!!!!) Also depending on the engine you may have to do a whole driveline swap too, needless to say it gets pricey.

lt1/4 or ls1/2/3, depending on how long i want to save. all are more or less drop ins. only difference is the ls's use a returnless fuel system. bolt-in engine crossmembers are available for all of them, and more. id have to get the matching trans to go with it too of course. but again its another factory part that was available already.

a rebuild would net me about 220hp crank, give or take. a v8 swap youre talking 300 minimum. to be competitive with the v6 i'd need fi, and i kinda like n/a.

i'd really like to do a 427 ls1 but its so much custom work. 383 would be a lot easier, or a 427 ls2/3. (their stock displacements are 348 and 364 respectively.)

Last edited:

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That sounds like you are going to need a whole driveline. The motor drops in but then you need a tranny, then a new rearend. you may get off cheaper by just getting a car with an LS1 in it already (dont waste time on the LT series)

However these are domestics so you might be able to get most of your parts from the yard and the rear end my be strong enough to handle the power, that just leaves the tranny which almost always comes wiith the motor. I dont remeber if you have a five speed or not.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
That sounds like you are going to need a whole driveline. The motor drops in but then you need a tranny, then a new rearend. you may get off cheaper by just getting a car with an LS1 in it already (dont waste time on the LT series)

However these are domestics so you might be able to get most of your parts from the yard and the rear end my be strong enough to handle the power, that just leaves the tranny which almost always comes wiith the motor. I dont remeber if you have a five speed or not.

the rear end is the same from 82-02 regardless of engine. ive already got a 3.73 rear with zexel lsd.

the trans drops right in with the engine. only thing that changes is the crossmember be it auto or manual. the driveshaft is the same length too, which i already have an aluminum one piece to install.

getting a car with an LS1 would require a massive de-mod to mine to move all the parts over. you cant move sentimental value over either. LT1/4 would be an easier swap since its the same model year. proper heads/cam those shits are torque monsters.

the v6 and v8s both use the 4l60e auto but with different input shafts and bellhousings, id need a new one. the v6 uses a 5 speed, which i have a spare in the garage, but the v8 uses a 6 speed. id have to decide which trans to go with but either way i know i cant keep the old one.

Space Runaway

stakes winning forever
To:

Mushi, Khyron, Tonk, et al.

seven.jpg

<3