Component cables for SNES & Genesis

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You should probably stay out of the War Room and stick to flipping games in the marketplace then.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Back on topic, the cables are a good alternative to RGB. Very close in terms of quality on my PVM but any conversion is always going to be inferior to a degree. Framemeister is still the best choice in terms of quality, especially if you have multiple systems to consider.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Not everyone is up for the SCART cables + encoder setup. I've had friends ask me about my RGB PVM setups and how to get that quality from their SNES/Genesis and an answer of "special cables from Europe and a box you have to hack up and then open to fine tune" sends them running*. Good to be able to point them to HD Retrovision.

*Following up with "There's an internal mod you can do on some revisions of SNES to get Component from one of the chips, you just have to build a proper video amp" doesn't help things either.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I understand they are custom cables but look at the prices.

LOL @ someone on a Neo forum complaining about $45 being expensive...

I bought the SNES one from another member here as he had a spare for some reason. And I'll pick up the Genny one as well. It's a nicely built cable, $45 doesn't seem bad at all IMO considering that it's not just some wire with plugs on the ends. Actually I'd bet that $45 for one of these cables after adjusting for inflation is the same or less than GC component cables cost me when they were first released.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
LOL @ someone on a Neo forum complaining about $45 being expensive...

I bought the SNES one from another member here as he had a spare for some reason. And I'll pick up the Genny one as well. It's a nicely built cable, $45 doesn't seem bad at all IMO considering that it's not just some wire with plugs on the ends. Actually I'd bet that $45 for one of these cables after adjusting for inflation is the same or less than GC component cables cost me when they were first released.

Okay, it's not the fact that the cables themselves cost that much, it is the principle. If I am going to spend $50.00 on one cable, why would I purchase this over, let's say a SCART cable?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Okay, it's not the fact that the cables themselves cost that much, it is the principle. If I am going to spend $50.00 on one cable, why would I purchase this over, let's say a SCART cable?

Well, if you don't have SCART. Or you don't have RGB. Don't want converters with extra cables.

Pretty much every system I have that is capable or being run on Component gets run on Component. I personally don't want want to deal with finding a solution that's not shit build quality to run RGB and/or SCART to Component. If you've got that setup already or would like to get that setup then go for it. I'm just happy that there's now a solution available to run SNES & Genny on Component. If this is not the solution for you, then simple, don't get one.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
In principle, these are most helpful to folks who only have a single console to run. The moment you need to serve a second system (or more), all the usual options start making a ton more sense.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Well, if you don't have SCART. Or you don't have RGB. Don't want converters with extra cables.

Pretty much every system I have that is capable or being run on Component gets run on Component. I personally don't want want to deal with finding a solution that's not shit build quality to run RGB and/or SCART to Component. If you've got that setup already or would like to get that setup then go for it. I'm just happy that there's now a solution available to run SNES & Genny on Component. If this is not the solution for you, then simple, don't get one.

What if you don't have burgers?

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
In principle, these are most helpful to folks who only have a single console to run. The moment you need to serve a second system (or more), all the usual options start making a ton more sense.

I dunno. I already have a couple of nice component switch boxes. Having the ability to hook up the Genesis, SNES, GC, PS2, Master System, eventually a dreamcast, etc to a nice component trinitron without fooling around with SCART sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited:

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I use the scart component converter that a member here makes, it is very nice. I see these cables as a nice choice for someone who doesnt already have a bunch of scart cables and mods done.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I use that knockoff chinese scart to component converter.
It works alright. Had to fiddle with the color pots for a bit though.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Looks like the SNES cables are sold out now. Glad I got one.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
“you just lost all respect from me” like GohanX gives af about razo. I dunno does anyone here care about razo? fuck you buddy.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
hulk_hogan_vs_wtc.jpg

:lolz:

MEGA POWERS EXPLODE!!!

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Received the cords today... haven't hooked up the Genesis or SNES in over a decade. Only tried the SNES with Super Mario World, but it is super clear and colors are better defined. Will try and get some video or photos after the kids get off the TV

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why not go with an RGB-VGA upscaller?

I hear good things about them.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Why not go with an RGB-VGA upscaller?

I hear good things about them.

The Gonbes upscaler is ugly and poorly suited for 240p. If you don't notice then power to you. It sure acts like a $30 gadget that's for sure.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Sorry for the dumb question but are these cables like one of those conversion boxes that converts the current signal or do you need modification (like with RGB solutions)? I guess what I'm asking is are these cables just plug-n-play?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm an asshole. Finally found a spot on their website where it says "no modification required".

Last edited: