Component cables for SNES & Genesis

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got my Genesis cable in today, hooked it up to my Wega. It works as advertised! The image is pretty much perfect, and actually looks better than my ebay scart to RGB converter by a hair. I'm impressed, I'll buy the SNES cable when it comes in stock.

By the way for those that are wondering, it does have a brightness select, "low" is the same brightness setting as a correctly made RGB cable on the Genesis.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Damn.

Guess that means i gotta get off my ass and order up the genny one.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I got mine in the mail yesterday and hooked it up to my old plasma and works great. The ability to up the contrast is a nice touch but was not necessary on my tv.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Im surprised no one did this earlier. Truth be told, SCART is a shit standard (not talking about the quality of the signal, just the standard in general and finding switch boxes). Do they plan to do this with other systems?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Im surprised no one did this earlier. Truth be told, SCART is a shit standard (not talking about the quality of the signal, just the standard in general and finding switch boxes). Do they plan to do this with other systems?

They are supposedly working on a dreamcast one.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Here are some shots I took on the 50 inch. It looks even better when I do 4:3.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Don't make me beat you with a SCART cable! YPbPr is a shittier standard. Let's use 5 cables instead of 1, what a great fucking idea.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Don't make me beat you with a SCART cable! YPbPr is a shittier standard. Let's use 5 cables instead of 1, what a great fucking idea.

Unless you're using a frame meister/upscaler or in euro land, most people convert scart to BNC anyhow from what I see in the US unless its a DB25 connector. If you read lots of forum post you see the same problems with the SCART standard: audio buzzing, crosstalk, incorrectly wired (JP21 vs Euro),and finding a good quality scart switch is expensive. This isn't even factoring in SCART can carry every signal to man and it makes it a bitch to find a quality one unless you make one yourself or buy from a known good seller. Individual connectors almost always never have this problem, are more familiar here in the states, and easier to source.

I agree YPbPr is a worse standard in theory than RGBs but I've always preferred individual connections. It doesn't have to be component, I like BNC connectors with RGBs.With this in mind, look at the S-video input on a Commodore 1702 monitor. It sucks we never got that two RCA plug for s-video, but manufacturers went with the four pin all in one that is always a joy to plug in.

tl;dr it just seems easier/less pain in the ass to deal with BNC and recently ive started noticing people are making cables like that now (not just for PVMs either). The cables above are for people connecting to component CRTs and flat panels.You don't need the SCART meme to enjoy RGB goodness is all im saying.

I will say this, SCART being able to automatically change inputs by what is powered on by sensing is pretty cool if your inputs are in a hard ass location to reach.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
If anyone is interested in these cables they are on sale again. They now also have a Sega Saturn and Neo AES/CD adapters for their Genesis cable. They are great quality and work well through the OSSC for those interested in upscaling.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If anyone is interested in these cables they are on sale again. They now also have a Sega Saturn and Neo AES/CD adapters for their Genesis cable. They are great quality and work well through the OSSC for those interested in upscaling.

Rev, thanks alot bro. Just placed a order for the Snes cable and Neo adapter. Been meaning to try out that snes cable For the longest.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ordered the Genesis one. If it plays nice with the TV I want to use it on, I'll buy the saturn adapter and the SNES cable sometime down the line.

Pretty cool product.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The adapters for this are a great idea. No sense buying the converter that's built into the cable every time for each system. Plus it's an easy way to support tons more consoles like the Neo.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Ordered all of these except for the Neo Geo adapter for now. I will only need it for Neo Geo CDZ anyways, since I have a NeoBitz in my AES. Definitely a nice step up from S-video. Also, I can finally use the RGB board for my NES, RGB mod my N64 and install a Genesis model 2 AV out to my Turbo Duo to the RGB wires that are ready to go. I can only imagine how perfect the Sega Saturn picture will look, it has the best S-video I have seen yet.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I am trying to get these cables but they do not accept paypal and my videogames money is there :(