Connecticut Elementary School Shooting (AKA "Gun Control Debate" thread...)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
complexz, the funny thing is that Canada in some instances have less restrictions on certain firearms than we do in the United States. You have access to weapons we simply don't here in the states due to import restrictions and in Canada the barrel length of rifles and shotguns is not very regulated. It's easy to get a short barreled shotgun or rifle in Canada compared to the USA!

Those are the exceptions, of course, and not the rule - as access to arms in general is significantly less burdensome in the USA than in Canada.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't want to kill anyone either.

Now lets all smoke some weed and eat Dorritos.

SSS

neo retired
No offense intended, but I'd rather not. I'm just not into them.

It has nothing to do with "being into them". I'm not into guns either, anymore than say torque wrenches, hammers, propress, etc.. Guns are a tool.

It just might help remove this dark cloud you picture in your mind when the word gun comes up.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
Sounds good to me. Though, in this state (ohio), it seems before 2008, we had a retreat law, you couldn't use deadly force unless it was literally impossible to retreat and fear for your own life at the same time.

It has nothing to do with "being into them". I'm not into guns either, anymore than say torque wrenches, hammers, propress, etc.. Guns are a tool.

It just might help remove this dark cloud you picture in your mind when the word gun comes up.

I'll keep it in mind, but I don't think I will any time soon.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
complexz, the funny thing is that Canada in some instances have less restrictions on certain firearms than we do in the United States. You have access to weapons we simply don't here in the states due to import restrictions and in Canada the barrel length of rifles and shotguns is not very regulated. It's easy to get a short barreled shotgun or rifle in Canada compared to the USA!

Those are the exceptions, of course, and not the rule - as access to arms in general is significantly less burdensome in the USA than in Canada.

haha neat, I did not know that.

SSS

neo retired
I don't want to kill anyone either.

And this is stressed during conceal carry classes. The goal isn't to take a life, it's self preservation. So if the need should arise, you get to go home at the end of the day.

Sex Machine

Big Monkey Balls 20
Not to mean to slight anyone. But I'm glad I never felt like I ever really had to feel that I was in danger enough that I needed to have one.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
American Rifleman is the official magazine of the NRA.

You have to be a member to get it.

Some newsstands do carry it, the Barnes and Noble in the city I used to live in had it. It's frankly not even that good of a gun magazine, the column about people defending themselves is the most interesting part of it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Some newsstands do carry it, the Barnes and Noble in the city I used to live in had it. It's frankly not even that good of a gun magazine, the column about people defending themselves is the most interesting part of it.

Weird, didn't know you could just up and buy it.

But yeah...the NRA is basically a lobbying organization for the Gun Industry. I understand they hardly ever give bad gun reviews in American Rifleman.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Weird, didn't know you could just up and buy it.

But yeah...the NRA is basically a lobbying organization for the Gun Industry. I understand they hardly ever give bad gun reviews in American Rifleman.

My Dad gets it, and I stopped borrowing it after about the 20th review of the Springfield XD. They do usually have an article about different older guns, it's usually in the very back of the mag and can be pretty interesting at times.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The color edition of Shotgun News (think it comes out once a month) always has solid gun articles. The black and white editions have good articles as well, just not as many. The whole magazine is mostly ads though.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
The color edition of Shotgun News (think it comes out once a month) always has solid gun articles. The black and white editions have good articles as well, just not as many. The whole magazine is mostly ads though.

I like GUNs and Shooting Times is pretty decent and they practically give their subscriptions away.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
As long as the problem isn't or can't be rectified, expect more of the same sometime in the future. There is no shortage of crazy people with no past criminal history.

Also, having guns in your house doesn't necessarily make it safer. Those two parents who bought the gun should have spent their effort on parenting instead- they were shot by their own kid.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
i'd only want a gun for things like this...

surviving_the_game_1994.jpg

stop hunting defenseless animals... hunt people :)

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member

People are not food. And not all animals are defenseless, which is why I carry a gun when I go hiking.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
seriously though, you talk about needing a gun for when you hike due to "dangerous animals"(more-or-less). they do make non-lethal repellents you can use so a gun isn't necessary. even then, you're saying whatever you may kill you would actually eat? that and if there's dangerous animals in these areas why are we(people) trespassing on their land?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
seriously though, you talk about needing a gun for when you hike due to "dangerous animals"(more-or-less). they do make non-lethal repellents you can use so a gun isn't necessary. even then, you're saying whatever you may kill you would actually eat? that and if there's dangerous animals in these areas why are we(people) trespassing on their land?

Repellants do not always work, and neither do guns for that matter. I met a guy who said he always carried his .380 when he hiked, which works fine if you are trying to piss off whatever dangerous animal you may encounter. When I hike I carry a .357 which should probably be the minimum calibre for defending yourself from wild animals. My father bought the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, which also comes in an emergency kit you can buy specifically for dealing with Brown bears. As for intruding on wild animals territory, humans have been doing that for thousands of years, in fact humans are classified as primates, so technically we are animals. In fact I am a pussy ass pacifist, I rarely even kill insects, but I am not going to just let myself become a potential meal for any animal. If people just want to call themselves environmentalists and be faggots who never actually visit the environment and understand the dangers involved, that is fine, just don't armchair quarterback that shit. As for me I enjoy nature, especially on mushrooms(though not these days)but I am going to enjoy it while being a little better aware.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Repellants do not always work, and neither do guns for that matter. I met a guy who said he always carried his .380 when he hiked, which works fine if you are trying to piss off whatever dangerous animal you may encounter. When I hike I carry a .357 which should probably be the minimum calibre for defending yourself from wild animals. My father bought the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454 Casull, which also comes in an emergency kit you can buy specifically for dealing with Brown bears. As for intruding on wild animals territory, humans have been doing that for thousands of years, in fact humans are classified as primates, so technically we are animals. In fact I am a pussy ass pacifist, I rarely even kill insects, but I am not going to just let myself become a potential meal for any animal. If people just want to call themselves environmentalists and be faggots who never actually visit the environment and understand the dangers involved, that is fine, just don't armchair quarterback that shit. As for me I enjoy nature, especially on mushrooms(though not these days)but I am going to enjoy it while being a little better aware.

Awesome post, new member of the year quality.

aria

Former Moderator

I remember seeing that in theaters.

The only memorably line, and it was a good one, was Gary Busey's deranged (surprised?) character talking about eating a pig (served with the head still attached) and staring into its eyes "so you can devour its soul".

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I never claimed to be an expert on guns and the terminology if I did I apologise, as I've never had a gun, and never intend to.

Don't apologize. Some people just have a hair up their ass about that. Big fucking deal.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I remember seeing that in theaters.

The only memorably line, and it was a good one, was Gary Busey's deranged (surprised?) character talking about eating a pig (served with the head still attached) and staring into its eyes "so you can devour its soul".

I could picture Gary Busey eating souls in real life.