CRT Fetish Thread

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Gaming on an 8" PVM is dumb. At that point you're hindering your experience cause the cool kids told you you NEED an rgb monitor.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
That's why I said bench monitor; Outside of that, the size does limit what could be played on it and still be enjoyed as well as needing to be within a foot or so of the thin.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That's why I said bench monitor; Outside of that, the size does limit what could be played on it and still be enjoyed as well as needing to be within a foot or so of the thin.

Not directed towards you at all. Test bench or ringside at a WWE event are the only two acceptable uses of an 8" PVM.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So many 8 inch pvms died when the Rock and Triple H were feuding around 2000... Right up there with Spanish announce tables.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So many 8 inch pvms died when the Rock and Triple H were feuding around 2000... Right up there with Spanish announce tables.

They just recently switched over to these new Fischer price looking monitors...maybe within the past three months or so. Those pvms can sure take a slam on the ground without any noticeable damage.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Okay so third week in a row getting monitors I think? I uploaded some pictures I haven't made them public on my imgur account but you can access them via the link. Haven't made them public because I want to take new pictures in the next week or two after I clean them up and put everything in the right place.

First link shows two 19' professional rgb monitors. The one on the left is a Sony PVM and the one on the right is a JVC. It also shows the stand I ended up getting off craigslist. I'm going to put it to the test next week and put my Mitsubishi Megaview 42' on it to see if it holds but it should. The drawer wasn't closed correctly in the picture but it closes fine.
http://i.imgur.com/C5LRyi4.jpg

This next link shows the back of the JVC.
http://i.imgur.com/Ua9EU0K.jpg

The next link is is a picture of a PC CRT. It's a Nec Multisync FP2141sb. It can do full hd at 85hz I belive. It's one of the better PC CRTS to my knowledge and correct me if I am wrong. It is dirty but I want to make sure what I can clean it with. It looks like someone tried to clean it with windex and it left smudges.
http://i.imgur.com/bJ8JaBg.jpg

The next image shows the back of the monitor and the stupid placements for the inputs. It does RGB fyi.
http://i.imgur.com/72co9Lj.jpg

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Gaming on an 8" PVM is dumb. At that point you're hindering your experience cause the cool kids told you you NEED an rgb monitor.

Agreed. 13-14" should be the minimum. The 8" PVMs are cheap and found in large quantities on ebay for a reason... they suck for regular gaming.

If price is a concern, one should get something else besides the Sony PVMs. Panasonic, JVC and Ikegami RGB and S-video monitors are comparatively cheaper and not hard to find.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

Nah they are fine. Not as a primary monitor of course but they work great as a testing monitor or as a portable.

On a side note, i'm having issues with my 1954q. On N64 and PS2, i'm getting these weird random horizontal black lines that pop in and out

They dont show up on my genesis, snes, saturn or psx.

Does anybody know what that is?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
It's probably your monitor trying to reject the N64. The PS2 is just collateral damage.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Nah they are fine. Not as a primary monitor of course but they work great as a testing monitor or as a portable.

On a side note, i'm having issues with my 1954q. On N64 and PS2, i'm getting these weird random horizontal black lines that pop in and out

They dont show up on my genesis, snes, saturn or psx.

Does anybody know what that is?

If you're lugging around an 8" pvm as a portable you may need to rethink where your life is headed.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
If you're lugging around an 8" pvm as a portable you may need to rethink where your life is headed.

Well they are called "field monitors"...

...but no not as a true portable that you keep with you but more as a small and manageable set, in event that you need one. Sure as hell beats lugging a 14 or 20 inch monitor any distance. it even has a handle. You cant beat that.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well they are called "field monitors"...

...but no not as a true portable that you keep with you but more as a small and manageable set, in event that you need one. Sure as hell beats lugging a 14 or 20 inch monitor any distance. it even has a handle. You cant beat that.

Yeah field monitor for broadcast purposes...not to play super metroid at your grandmother's house. I literally couldn't think of a point in my life where I'd be happy I was lugging around a tiny little crt.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Yeah field monitor for broadcast purposes...not to play super metroid at your grandmother's house. I literally couldn't think of a point in my life where I'd be happy I was lugging around a tiny little crt.

Well its not like i bring it with me to get a good gaming session going on road (psp/3ds/laptop for that). Mostly used for testing. Why do you hate small monitors so much anyway?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Well its not like i bring it with me to get a good gaming session going on road (psp/3ds/laptop for that). Mostly used for testing. Why do you hate small monitors so much anyway?

I think people are buying them cause of the hype. Your sacrificing the experience of the game so you can get 50 more lines of resolution. It's dumb and a great deal of folks in this thread can't even tell the difference. Folks spend more time chasing the dragon then playing the games.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I think people are buying them cause of the hype. Your sacrificing the experience of the game so you can get 50 more lines of resolution. It's dumb and a great deal of folks in this thread can't even tell the difference. Folks spend more time chasing the dragon then playing the games.

Personally I grabbed a couple of the 8" pvms cus they're small. I lost my man cave when I last moved. Now I have a home office that I also use to game and 3D print. So a large CRT is out of the question. But a couple small screens on a shelf. Yep I can do that. And cus of the shape I can stack them if needed.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Personally I grabbed a couple of the 8" pvms cus they're small. I lost my man cave when I last moved. Now I have a home office that I also use to game and 3D print. So a large CRT is out of the question. But a couple small screens on a shelf. Yep I can do that. And cus of the shape I can stack them if needed.

If you can fit two 8" monitors you can fit one 20" pvm. That argument makes no sense.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
If you can fit two 8" monitors you can fit one 20" pvm. That argument makes no sense.

Your testicles are showing. you might want to put those away. It's just a CRT thread.

yeah, getting the 8" PVMs are probably just the gateway drug to larger PVMs. They're cheap and small and they leave you wanting more.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Your testicles are showing. you might want to put those away. It's just a CRT thread.

yeah, getting the 8" PVMs are probably just the gateway drug to larger PVMs. They're cheap and small and they leave you wanting more.

I dont quite understand what that means, but sure. You're the one that quoted me dude. Tiny PVMs are a waste of money outside of using them on a test rig. If you want a small monitor a 20" component Sony tube and a scart to comp converter will give you almost identical quality for a cheaper price. It's all hype.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love my PVM, but I'd swap it out for a 27" Wega with a scart to component converter in a heartbeat.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The only thing that would be nice about switching from my PVM back to a CRT TV is the built in RF. My 5200, Intellivision, and Odyssey 2 are all still stock, so I can't even get composite out of them and it sucks having to run them through a VCR. I'll get the consoles modded eventually like I did for my Colecovision and 7800, but in the meantime I'm stuck with the stupid VCR.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Does your NES work on your PVM? I tried hooking mine up (via the yellow composite out) a few days ago (with a RCA to BNC adapter) and I couldn't make it work... is there a trick or am I just plain too dumb?