Cyborg Force, new 2023 project

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Vladimir's helmet is 100% a penis glans.

Yeah apparently we got that spot on :keke:

Well done on the Halloween Harry / Alien Carnage reference! For the record, when I showed the game in its very early stages to a friend, he said it already had a HH vibe to it. So I went all the way and gave the uniform of the first character (Johnny / blue guy) the same colour palette.

We're well aware of the overall graphic limits of the game; if Crom blesses us with enough success to actually have some kind of budget for another game, we'll try to improve that. To some extent, these limitations shaped up the gameplay, mind you, as it allowed us to put more enemies & bullets on screen while keeping a steady framerate, and place less "stops" / checkpoints during levels, thus giving the progression a more dynamic flow. Even if as you say, it's pretty simple, we're confident old school arcade players will enjoy the gameplay. We've been debugging the various versions of the game for over 3 months now, and I've been playing it over and over for hours every day since then - I promise you that if it was boring shit, I'd have thrown myself under a bus already.

Another short :)

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
More videos:

This one is longer and shows the death/respawn anim as well as the Game Over sequence for the first time.
That Zardoz reference is going to trigger zillions of sales, we're sure:

Got some pics too. Those renders look damn real, heh? :keke:

mvs-pr10.jpg

mvs-pr11.jpg

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
There it is finally - your fix of French homebrew pre-order! :keke:

Special thanks to the fine fellas from neogeo-system.com and this very hellhole of a forum who helped us one way or another during game development. :cheers:
Wish us luck, and Crom bless you all :vik:

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Little update to those of you guys who secretly goobed and bought a physical copy of the game. :drool_2:
Or are just watching curiously of course :D

Production is going according to plan so far and we should be able to deliver well within the announced schedule, possibly early spring.

As all the stuff is either on order or already received, and because when we offer “limited” and “collector’s” stuff, we really mean it, we decided to limit the collector packs to 100 across all editions (Limited AES + Limited MVS + Classic). The numbering (inserts and carts) will reflect this, and we have updated the quantities available on our website.
As a result, the stock is low on all things "limited" (AES/MVS) and “classic collectors” edition is now unavailable, so that the remaining collector pack can only go to the remaining “Limited” editions. So if you have been planning a "limited" purchase but putting it off because the wife is watching… Well, don’t wait too long, especially as we will put an end to the little pre-order discount at the end of the month.

On the “not-so-good” side of things, we had to suspend Paypal payments again due to them locking our funds once more.
We also had to discontinue the Romstick edition of the game. It seemed like a very cool idea to us... But... Well apparently it wasn't genius :lolz: It simply didn’t sell enough to be anything but a burden. I guess this is now making them super collector items too :keke:

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
Right, so in the end, it won’t be a Q2-Q3 release: we have started shipping :keke:

A first batch of orders was shipped today, these were some “romstick” only orders.

Cart orders will start shipping next week. Essentially, we’ll ship the games following the date or order, but we will occasionally have to deviate from it for practical reasons (like we did today with these first romsticks) so don't bother playing guessing games - we'll do our best to deliver to everyone as quickly as possible of course. :)

Also...

As promised, we are opening the downloads for all currently available versions: Neo Geo (the archive includes versions of the ROM for NeoSD & Darksoft flashcarts, Analogue Pocket, MiSTer, MVSX, ArcadeStickPro, NeoGeo Mini), Dreamcast, PSP and Windows PC.
See our website www.neobyteforce.com for the detail of our offers :)

We will open a worldwide scoring competition at the beginning of April, if there are enough people on here willing to join in, I'll start a topic in the Arcade Central.

We're really happy to finally let the game loose, and we're looking forward to the community's feedback. We wish all those who ordered a physical copy a good reception, and thank you all again!

Cheers :):cheers:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm sorry, but this game just looks like the kind of PD software they used to giveaway on cover discs for Amiga Format or ST Action.

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
I'm sorry, but this game just looks like the kind of PD software they used to giveaway on cover discs for Amiga Format or ST Action.

It's cool. I mean, if it reminds you of something from the late 80s / early 90s, that's the intention. You'd certainly prefer it if it looked like a Japanese arcade game of that period; so would we and it's our aim in the future, but it just wasn't possible yet, and it will take some time before we can do something more along these lines. You'd also find that it sounds "western" I guess. Which is consistent, and what we are after all. :)

It does however play like an arcade game.

And, I don't know if your comment implied that, but there is absolutely no way the game could run on an Amiga or and Atari ST. If you have fond and apparently favourably distorted memories of these machines, I recommend never playing them again, you'd be in for a very depressing disappointment :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I do think Neo Byte Force games so far do have a slight 'jank' to them (for lack of a better word), but what they lack in polish, they make up for somewhat in style. As @Johnny16Bit mentions, the games aren't meant to compete on the same level as arcade games from the 90's, and that's okay. I like their attitude of just making what they want regardless and acknowledging their limitations (rather than some indie developers who seem to promise the moon and then spend years on development). You can tell they're having fun doing this, and they've both been great guys to interact with. They are the resident bad-asses of the current Neo Geo indie dev scene.

So I say more power to them! Let the off-the-rails fun continue. I'll be looking forward to see what they do next. The fact that this is available for purchase for 20 euros is great!