Damn, Coachella seems very lame this year

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I caught Wu Tang twice until they put on a good show.

Dude I saw Wu twice and they were fucking awful. Basically it was the Method man show with everyone else standing around. The second time I saw them they were 3 hours late (and they were in the venue) and they asked the audience to crumple up money and throw it on stage and again it was basically method doing all the work while everyone else picked up the money the suckers threw on stage. If Bobak was still here I'd have him tell you about the naked guy in the audience at the other show.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Dude I saw Wu twice and they were fucking awful. Basically it was the Method man show with everyone else standing around. The second time I saw them they were 3 hours late (and they were in the venue) and they asked the audience to crumple up money and throw it on stage and again it was basically method doing all the work while everyone else picked up the money the suckers threw on stage. If Bobak was still here I'd have him tell you about the naked guy in the audience at the other show.

They were missing ghost face and Raekwon the first time and had no energy. Then odb's son was humping the floor for like 5 mins. It was bizarre and awful. They looked old and tired. The second time though it was the whole crew. They were pumped up and the crowd was into it. They only played known stuff. It was awesome.

Kiel

20 Year Member
That being said the only only acts I'd see at coahcella would be Grimes, Chvrches, M83, and maybe Purity Ring in the off chance I'd run into my ex. Fuck LCD Soundsystem, they can suck my dick sideways and stay retired or whatever the fuck they were supposed to be.

And I'm only a little drunk.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The event would be better if you're there with friends and just exploring to find new music that you haven't heard before. I imagine that the Guns n' Roses set will be a disaster, where the fans turn on the band before they even get started, just because they don't fit the rest of the playbill.

Major Lazer will be interesting.

Sasha and Digweed doing acts individually, I imagine that they will join forces at some point over the weekend, and a lot of Russian girls will climax.

Kiel

20 Year Member
Major Lazer will be interesting.

Missed that, I'd check it as well. Don't let my last hate filled post give you any ideas I'd def see acts I haven't seen or heard of before. Some of my favorite bands are ones that I saw live first and had no idea about. But still fuck lcd sound system.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The best part of a music festival is not seeing bands that you are a fan of. The best part is seeing bands you don't know anything about.

Making a conscious effort to learn new music seems so fucking tiring these days. Lame, I know.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
But still fuck lcd sound system.

Hey fuck you!

Look Kiel, you're a little drunk, when you wake I expect you to see the errors of your ways.

Major Lazer would be awesome

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hey fuck you!

Look Kiel, you're a little drunk, when you wake I expect you to see the errors of your ways.

Major Lazer would be awesome

Their shows were extremely over the top. I went to a show a few years ago where Skerritt Boy would climb up an 8 foot ladder and then jump on a woman who would laying on the stage gyrating, and then dry hump her. Skerritt Boy is gone I guess, but the spirit of Major Lazer continues.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Like the rest of you old fogies, I don't recognize 90% of the acts. Underworld would be cool to see though.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Their shows were extremely over the top. I went to a show a few years ago where Skerritt Boy would climb up an 8 foot ladder and then jump on a woman who would laying on the stage gyrating, and then dry hump her. Skerritt Boy is gone I guess, but the spirit of Major Lazer continues.

Haha. That video was freakin fantastic:

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
If I could put together one day of my own with these bands it would be LCD, Lush, The Last Shadow Puppets, Underworld, M83, HEALTH, Run The Jewels, Skepta, BADBADNOTGOOD, Purity Ring, CHVRCHES, Grimes, Foals, The Kills, Flume, Beach House, Hudson Mohawke, Nosaj Thing.

Marek

Banned
Underworld

I didn't understand the 20 years ago comment. Their 2010 record was amazing.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
A reunited LUSH is playing, and if I were 10 years younger I might actually go to another festival show like this just to see them live.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Are you there to hear him sing or fuck him?

ef4ecda158ef1e79079546811ace2017bd04708149857b1cc6ff5d3712c11d5f.jpg

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
A reunited LUSH is playing, and if I were 10 years younger I might actually go to another festival show like this just to see them live.

Likewise!

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Underworld

I didn't understand the 20 years ago comment. Their 2010 record was amazing.

I understand it very well. Older performers don't put the same level of energy into their acts. They may want to perform, but they typically can't energize the crowd like they used to. Especially at these festivals, which are the equivalent of orgies, where at the end, no one is satisfied, but they brag about being there, and just wander around looking for a cigarette.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
These festivals all suck now because the big well known bands want a kings ransom to play. In the old days their main income came from cd sales but now it is live shows. Unless you want to pay $300 a ticket this is how it is now. Blame iTunes and teh pirates.

Err, Coachella does pay a king's ransom, especially for their headliners. How do you think all those bands who swore to never get back together got back together?

You're way off. Very little money ever came from CD sales. Bands would make about a dollar per CD sold and the label and distributors would receive the rest. The retailers would often lose money on CD sales. Even ticket sales were not very profitable for bands, depending on the venue's system (flat rate for renting the venue or door split %). Where they made their money was the merchandise like t-shirts, posters, etc.

Whether you want to attribute it to Napster, iTunes, pirates, or the fact that technology (i.e., iMacs and ProTools) has rendered record labels into glorified loan sharks, they changed their business models. With "360 deals", the labels now receive a large percentage of any sales associated with the band: album sales, streaming revenue, merch, tickets - anything.

So there's your music industry lesson for the day.

Last edited:

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
Like the rest of you old fogies, I don't recognize 90% of the acts. Underworld would be cool to see though.

I recognize a lot of the bands. I just don't think they're worth spending hundreds of dollars to watch them over a weekend.