Disney acquires Lucasfilm for $4.05billion, announces Episode VII for 2015.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I think 4 billion is an awesome pay day for something as shitty as Star Wars.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I think it's a good thing for Star Wars.

A lot of the guys that will be working on Star Wars movies in the future will be the people inspired by the IP.

For years, I've seen the quality of many of the video games, comic books and even a few of the novels outpace the movies. Those things were also made by people inspired by the classic trilogy.

I'm excited about it, personally.

Earthquake24

Dodgeball Yakuza
Excellent. Lucas finally got the hint that he is no longer a "demi-god" and has brought the film franchise down into the gutter of redo's, recuts, and whatever other money-sucking maneuveur's he probably had in store for it. The future of the series might turn brighter now with him out of the way.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
CGI studio... check.
Hand-drawn movie artist.. check
Stan Lee... yep.
George Lucas... *marks off list*
Steve Spielberg is next, mark my words.. there will be an E.T. reboot.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
The question now is what does this mean for the Star Wars comics published by Dark Horse which has been handling that ip since the early mid 90's and have arguably churned out classic stuff that uses the original source material and have made huge strides in adding onto it( and has featured a who's who of comic industry talent to do so ). Disney took their saturday afternoon comics line after being successfully revamped by Boom! Studios to Marvel who've had it for over a year and hasn't done anything with it

This could be good, it could be bad

aria

Former Moderator
Lucas, hat's off to you. Before you pass you made sure to squeeze even more billions out of your baby--he was already a billionaire, and I wonder what percentage of the company was owned by him. I admire that, and look forward to your next $100m+ donation to USC.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I wonder what percentage of the company was owned by him.

all of it.

Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Last edited:

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Lucasfilm's was owned 100% by him. 4 Billion plus not having to deal with pissed off fans sounds good to me.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Maybe he'll treat himself and buy a chin with the money

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am optimistic about this.

Lucas lost his way a long time ago. Removing him from the dictator role could open up the franchise in a lot of ways.

I for one am hoping for another turn based console RPG in the vain of Knights of the Old Republic.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Well its good to finally be looking forward to the new SW trilogy (wonder if they will go with the original cast and just use CG take make them younger) knowing that Lucas will have nothing to do with it. Also, this probably means good things for future Marvel and Pixar.

This is good news.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Lucas, hat's off to you. Before you pass you made sure to squeeze even more billions out of your baby--he was already a billionaire, and I wonder what percentage of the company was owned by him. I admire that, and look forward to your next $100m+ donation to USC.

You're so bitter about last Saturday. :D

I definitely take this as a positive. Fresh talent and perspective can ONLY mean better films than the prequels.
You can't tell me the proposition of a Brad Bird or JJ Abrams-helmed sequel isn't an exciting thing.
George did the right thing in the end. His blue ghost will be skinny and nerdy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
More Star Wars movies?

It's so weird to think back to my 1995 self who never would have believed this ever could happen.

Then contrast that against my post-2005 self who prayed to all that was holy that it never would happen.

I guess I'm fine with the idea of Disney stewarding the franchise into the future, in terms of merchandising, licensing, home video sales and whatever. But I hate to all-fuck the idea of further movies being made.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
DisneyLucasFilm_489x295_0.jpg

The king is dead

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pirates of the Caribbean, Prince of Persia

all the same shit, uninspired, old jokes getting predictable.

Now let's take those to the future, with Star Wars.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I was a little shocked by this news. I always got the impression that he would never sell. I guess over 4 billion can change a persons mind.

We don't need more Star Wars films....the original 3 were enough.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
If now that Disney has it they would say. "Okay we are going to release the originals on bluray without all the added crap." Then that would be awesome. And then... they could say. "And the bonus extras on the discs will include the holiday special"

I would be quite amused.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Might mean something for further Indiana Jones, as well. Although I don't really care so much one way or the other as far as that goes.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
This thread needs that looping .gif from Scanners. X_X

I'm a little worried about the ongoing CG Clone Wars series. It's where Star Wars finally got back to its roots: pulpy fun for all ages. Disney could definitely find a way to crap on that. On the plus side though, imagine if there's another Kingdom Hearts game for console... Darth Vader vs Sephiroth! :drool_2: ;)

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
We don't need more Star Wars films....the original 3 were enough.

This.
I watched episode one and then two, after that I had enough torture and never went through the trouble of watching episode three.
IV, V, VI were enough indeed.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Someone at Disney wanted an American Graffiti 3 really badly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The thing that concerns me is the thriving fan contents and how Disney will treat them. Lucas, although a bit of a douche, was known for letting people use the SW world for free as long as you weren't making $$ off of it. Aka fan fiction, movie edits, etc. also, he actually had pretty thick skin, allowing fans to poke fun of him and of his universe.

Something tells me Disney won't be so cool about it. I am actually hopeful that an EP VII-IX won't suck now...but overall I feel this will be worse for SW

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think they will do just fine with the IP. The fans have forced Lucas to hate the entire industry. It sucks for the lucas children, but 4 billion is a big trust fund.
All Disney has to do is stay true to the existing fiction around Luke, Leia, and Han. The World Devastator shit is great. Disney doesnt have to write anything. There are so many good story lines to use.

The 4 Billion number was pretty big, but Disney will make that back in toy royalties almost immediately.

Last edited: