Do you ever feel like condensing your gaming collection/purchases?

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask. Still, sometimes the clutter associated with owning multiple systems/games can bog you down and make you wonder why you're still doing it. You look at all the stuff you've piled up and it's almost like a sense of buyer's remorse. I'd love to get the chance to play Death Smiles on the 360, or the Ys series for PSP, but I already have enough of this stuff amassed through the last 22 years starting with the NES. SNES, PS2, PS3, Xbox, DC, Wii, Gamecube...I've owned and sold other systems over the years, but that's the current lineup (some of which get used once in a blue moon). Some (like the GC, Xbox, and DC) don't have a lot of top-tier titles, but they're unique enough that they prevent me from getting rid of them. Does anyone else ever get the buyer/collector's remorse bug?

*Edit*: Should have titled this "Ever think about scaling back your collection/purchases". My bad. It's nearly impossible to "quit" gaming completely when it's everywhere you turn these days.

Last edited:

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I've considered dropping a lot of the console stuff quite a few times. Actually, I've dropped a lot of stuff out of my collection. SNES and Genesis are the only cartridge based consoles I've kept as they take up just so much space.. I'm climbing over the 90 complete games mark on genny and there's a bookshelf, you know? :/

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
It's just a hobby that has its ebbs and flows.

Sometimes, there's a lot coming out and I want to play a bunch of stuff.

Other times, there's not much I want to do gaming-wise so I read or watch more movies or fulfill some other hobby.

The concept of 'quitting' it altogether makes no sense to me, to be honest.

And no, I don't get the buyer's/collector's remorse bug.

Sometimes I think 'I spent too much', but that doesn't push me away from the hobby. And I'm always glad I spent the money on it at some point down the road.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Recently sold off a lot of console stuff. Eventually I'd like to get rid of everything aside from the cabs and the PS3. The only thing holding me back is basically the time involved with trying to sell everything.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Quit playing? Hells no. Quit buying. I'd like to.

I've been pretty good recently. I only bought a small handful of games over the summer - Deathsmiles, S&P2, Fantasy Zone Complete, a Famicom game, and a Super Famicom game. I went all of July without buying anything game-related. I've also been selling games that I won't play again and that I have no sentimental attachment to.

But I still have too many games. I wish my bookcase and two DVD shelves of games were like those hidden bookshelves that spin into the wall so that no one can see them. If a girl comes over, she must think I'm some kind of reclusive nerd. Wait. Fuck! But seriously.

If I ever try to buy a cab, don't let me.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Recently sold off a lot of console stuff. Eventually I'd like to get rid of everything aside from the cabs and the PS3. The only thing holding me back is basically the time involved with trying to sell everything.

I've considered this. Drop everything but maybe the PS3 and/or 360, toss a PC in one of the cabs for playing some of the old-school console stuff, and calling it a day. But what would I fill my then-empty bookcases with? :mr_t:

fake

15 Year Member
I've considered this. Drop everything but maybe the PS3 and/or 360, toss a PC in one of the cabs for playing some of the old-school console stuff, and calling it a day. But what would I fill my then-empty bookcases with? :mr_t:

Hmm. Hollowed out books with MVS carts in them? ;)

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member

Lot's of DVDs and maybe even a book or two...just for decoration. I like fakeXsound's idea about the hollowed out books for MVS carts too. I may do that haha!

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Its just a hobby, stop doing it or cut down on it if you aren't enjoying it as much and find a new hobby. You don't have to make a decision ahead of time to quit forever.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'll never quit gaming. When I feel my collection is getting too big I trim the fat..keeping only the titles I know I'll play again.

Grandmaster B

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Indeed not the best place to ask the question...

Personally, I sometimes get the buyer's remorse when I realize that I've collected more games than I'll ever have time to play given my work schedule. At those times I wish I had at least part of my money back.
I guess I will quit buying games when everything is digital, eventually sell off most of my other systems and games and only keep the Neo stuff.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
People usually don't quite gaming just like that, it sort of fizzles out, only to return a few years later. Then you'll regret selling most/all of your stuff. :smirk:

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
It's just a hobby that has its ebbs and flows.

Sometimes, there's a lot coming out and I want to play a bunch of stuff.

Other times, there's not much I want to do gaming-wise so I read or watch more movies or fulfill some other hobby.

The concept of 'quitting' it altogether makes no sense to me, to be honest.

And no, I don't get the buyer's/collector's remorse bug.

Sometimes I think 'I spent too much', but that doesn't push me away from the hobby. And I'm always glad I spent the money on it at some point down the road.

Couldn't say it better myself.

SNKNostalgia

Fighting Artist
I have lost some interest in gaming over the years, but I still play from time to time.

Hold on to all the good shit or you will regret it. Even if you play some of these games once a year (like Snatcher), it is worth having them around. I would go through MGS, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy or Suikoden binges at times.

I mostly like having tons of quick play arcade style games handy for 1-2 hour sessions. Thunder Force 4 and Real Bout 2, here I come in a few hours.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I know this probably isn't the best place to ask. Still, sometimes the clutter associated with owning multiple systems/games can bog you down and make you wonder why you're still doing it. You look at all the stuff you've piled up and it's almost like a sense of buyer's remorse. I'd love to get the chance to play Death Smiles on the 360, or the Ys series for PSP, but I already have enough of this stuff amassed through the last 22 years starting with the NES. SNES, PS2, PS3, Xbox, DC, Wii, Gamecube...I've owned and sold other systems over the years, but that's the current lineup (some of which get used once in a blue moon). Some (like the GC, Xbox, and DC) don't have a lot of top-tier titles, but they're unique enough that they prevent me from getting rid of them. Does anyone else ever get the buyer/collector's remorse bug?

Ive thought about this so many times. I get these mood swings. Sometimes I feel like selling all my console gear, and sometimes I feel like selling all my arcade gear. Me and OMFG talk about this all the time. I tell him I'm getting rid of my Candy's and he tells me to not to do it, that I'll regret it later on. So I think about all the work I put into cleaning them, replacing parts, and making them look the best I could, and then I decide not to do it.

I look at all the stuff I've bought over the years that I keep in my parent's basement and think to myself, do I really need this many superguns, games, consoles. Why the hell do I need a boxed House of the Dead II for DC when I have it already for the Wii? How many versions of Street Fighter Zero 3 do I need when I already have the cps2 board? My biggest mistake is before selling it I play it and change my mind.

Same go's for buying complete games, which is something I do. And that's a habit I'm slowly breaking. Why the fuck am I paying $30-60 for a complete snes game when I could by that same game cart only for $5-10. I'm not a game collector, nor will I ever be. Who the hell am I kidding.

I keep buying stuff, but I never have any time to play it. When I was a kid my parents got me one game for my bday and I would play that same game till my next bday, lol. Now I'm overwhelmed with stuff that just collects dust.

What point am I trying to make? I don't know, just wanted to vent.

Last edited:

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Ive thought about this so many times. I get these mood swings. Sometimes I feel like selling all my console gear, and sometimes I feel like selling all my arcade gear. Me and OMFG talk about this all the time. I tell him I'm getting rid of my Candy's and he tells me to not to do it, that I'll regret it later on. So I think about all the work I put into cleaning them, replacing parts, and making them look the best I could, and then I decide not to do it.

I look at all the stuff I've bought over the years that I keep in my parent's basement and think to myself, do I really need this many superguns, games, consoles. Why the hell do I need a boxed House of the Dead II for DC when I have it already for the Wii? How many versions of Street Fighter Zero 3 do I need when I already have the cps2 board? My biggest mistake is before selling it I play it and change my mind.

Same go's for buying complete games, which is something I do. And that's a habit I'm slowly breaking. Why the fuck am I paying $30-60 for a complete snes game when I could by that same game cart only for $5-10. I'm not a game collector, nor will I ever be. Who the hell am I kidding.

I keep buying stuff, but I never have any time to play it. When I was a kid my parents got me one game for my bday and I would play that same game till my next bday, lol. Now I'm overwhelmed with stuff that just collects dust.

What's point am I trying to make? I don't know, just wanted to vent.

See, this is where I'm coming from. I've owned some rare stuff and have sold it for just about equal value of what I originally paid for it. I'd say overall that I'm not an addict; I have other hobbies, although I'd still like to expand on them some more. All things considered, I probably don't spend more than 6 hours a week playing video games.

There's some games that I know I'll never part with (like Odin Sphere, Suikoden 1&2, my CPS2 D&D games, etc). It depends on my mindset and perspective; I look at some of those games like books you enjoyed so much you'd never part with them, and from THAT standpoint it makes sense. I think it has more to do with the stigma that games have had for so long as time-sinks. I definitely should have rephrased my original title to make it something along the lines of "have you ever thought about seriously scaling back/streamlining all the stuff you own". Like you said, I have a fair chunk of games that I plan on getting to (Demon's Souls, Alundra, DQVIII) but just haven't had the time for recently.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
What is there to quit? I don't "collect" anything. If I want to play a game enough, I'll buy it and play it. I don't buy games to frame on the wall or lock in a vault. If I don't want to play a game or I know I don't have time for a game, I don't buy it.

It's no different than movies. I buy DVDs every now and then. I watch DVDs. I don't "collect" them.

I haven't bought a new game in months (other than a few iPhone apps). Maybe half a year. Possibly not this calendar year at all. I don't really think about it. Mostly, these past couple years, I've been pretty satisfied with playing the games I already own and still have fun with. But it's not that I'm purposely trying not to buy anything new. If something comes along, I will get it.

Now that I think about it, I haven't bought many dvds this year, either. Huh.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Hmm. Hollowed out books with MVS carts in them? ;)
Shockbooks? Yes sir.

Every now and then I look at my neo stuff and see if I can trim the fat a little. About 10 seconds into that, I realize I only have the stuff I really want and look to other places ... like the Xbox ... and realize that stuff's not worth enough to bother selling.

Then I go play something and forget all about it.

Sure, it's taking up a lot of space I could use for something else but it's a worthwhile way to do it, IMO.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
What is there to quit? I don't "collect" anything. If I want to play a game enough, I'll buy it and play it. I don't buy games to frame on the wall or lock in a vault. If I don't want to play a game or I know I don't have time for a game, I don't buy it.

It's no different than movies. I buy DVDs every now and then. I watch DVDs. I don't "collect" them.

I haven't bought a new game in months (other than a few iPhone apps). Maybe half a year. Possibly not this calendar year at all. I don't really think about it. Mostly, these past couple years, I've been pretty satisfied with playing the games I already own and still have fun with. But it's not that I'm purposely trying not to buy anything new. If something comes along, I will get it.

Now that I think about it, I haven't bought many dvds this year, either. Huh.

I'm funny with Dvd's also. I was big into buying all my favorites acouple of years ago. Got the Rocky collection, JCVD flicks, etc. Managed to rack up about 120 movies, but Its funny how I'll only watch them every blue moon, but if I'm channel surfing and catch a movie like cliffhanger or over the top for example, I'll watch it. Dvd's are like my games, they do alot of dust collecting.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
This thread and this feeling happens all the time.

I'm prolly trading in a few of my gems to get a new heirloom quality watch. I figured it would be better than having Earthbound sit on my shelf...

fake

15 Year Member
I actually do know someone who "grew out of gaming." He's my friend's cousin, so I don't know him too well, but he did pass on a lot of stuff to my friend. And judging by his passed-on collection, he was pretty hardcore or at least had good taste. Complete FF6 and 7, and SNES FDD, some nice stuff. He also played a lot of Starcraft. But ever since about 2000-ish - he would have been 15 or 16 at the time - he just hasn't played anything. He wouldn't even come to Chinatown Fair with us when we visited. He doesn't have some grudge against videogames or anything; he's just not interested.

I was thinking about this whole topic last week. (I'm thinking about it all the time really - it's a sort of guilt on my conscience.) I think I'd be less ashamed of my collection if it was my only hobby, or at least my only expensive hobby. But if I'm looking at my shelves of games and turn around, there are five guitars, two amps, two keyboards, etc. And next to my shelves is my shelf unit of vinyl toys. And in front of that is a tower and bucket full of CDs. And in back of that are two towers of DVDs. I think my biggest problem is that I'm too sentimental. If I have a specific memory of a game, I have a really hard time getting rid of it.

My worst enemy: But 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us every Fall.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My worst enemy: But 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us every Fall.
That really is your worst enemy if you actually buy the games they have available at those things. You must have a lot of Barbie Fashion Show and Alvin & the Chipmunks games. Maybe that Xbox Aquaman game.