Does changing location change your life?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Yes. Only works if you don't have a family or any actual friends. Otherwise you'll be cryin' and inconsistent, thinking about your old life, or the people there, or some gay shit

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Generally I think moving kids is bad unless they're already unhappy where they are. When I was 13 my parents moved me to a smaller town. Though I understand why it made sense for my dad's career at the time, starting over in a place with a really different, more rural culture couldn't have come at a worse time for me. But maybe I was just going to be an awkward teenager anyway, so who knows what would've happened otherwise.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Generally I think moving kids is bad unless they're already unhappy where they are. When I was 13 my parents moved me to a smaller town. Though I understand why it made sense for my dad's career at the time, starting over in a place with a really different, more rural culture couldn't have come at a worse time for me. But maybe I was just going to be an awkward teenager anyway, so who knows what would've happened otherwise.

We moved from a larger city to a very small, rural "village" in Dec of 2018 (300 kids/grade vs 75). At the time, my daughter was 10 and we definitely had our reservations about it. We never intended for our daughter to go to a large school and wanted to move earlier, but 2008 kind of donk'd that one up.

In the end, the move has been superb for her, she's really taking well to it and it turned out to be a great decision.

It's always a risk though...

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
We moved from a larger city to a very small, rural "village" in Dec of 2018 (300 kids/grade vs 75). At the time, my daughter was 10 and we definitely had our reservations about it. We never intended for our daughter to go to a large school and wanted to move earlier, but 2008 kind of donk'd that one up.

In the end, the move has been superb for her, she's really taking well to it and it turned out to be a great decision.

Glad it worked out. I think 10 is still a better age to move a kid than 13. When we moved, my younger brother was 10 and he was mostly fine. When you start to get into the teenage years the social uprooting is more of an issue. Younger kids tend to be less divided into social groups, and are generally easier going about making new friends. But it depends on the kid -- I'm sure popular, socially adept kids have no trouble most places.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was extremely embarrassed about it for years. I'm pretty sure that now, things would have been handled differently.

Interesting perspective. I never considered the negative ramifications of being held back. I was held back, but it was nothing but positive for me. I started kindergarten at 4, and it caught up to me 4th grade when we moved from EU back to USA. I think I did 3 months of 4th grade in the US, and then i went back to 3rd grade. I think a big part of it was social, but i was not doing well enough socially or academically apparently. I was top of the class in 3rd grade, and remained a high achiever afterwards.

I would also add that moving as a kid never impacted me all that greatly. Military brats seem to be more resilient than the townie kids we mixed with at school. I didn't want to move from Nebraska when I was going into Jr High, but that is when I thought football was life. Nebraska tho... go figure.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I love smaller towns, and I would stay on my birthplace forever if we didn't have good jobs only in the state capitals here, but of course aside from that everything has its ups and downs, there's no such thing as an universally ideal place to live using such broad definitions. Glad it's working out for your family smokehouse. I can see myself settling on a small ranch close to a small town... 50 years into the future :D

Also as long as you're not trying to change yourself yes, changing locations change your life, dramatically so if you go settle outside of your country of origin, if modern life still hasn't killed the adventurous spirit everyone you're born with via a promise of social and financial stability.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member

Hopefully Rachel approves as well!