Egret II 'Taters Club

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
thanks to beaglepuss & mark for this awesome cab!

still waiting to un-plastic wrap her..

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
its still plastic wrapped, waiting to get some restoration stuffs then taking lots & lots of pics

Last edited:

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Should call the club 'Taters'

Egret II Taters Club.... hahaha

250px-Whats-taters-preciousss.jpg

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Looking forward to seeing some pics. Congrats on the cab. I just ordered a tri-sync chassis for mine. It should be here by the end of the week. I decided to keep my E2 and just toss a tri-sync chassis in it instead of trying to sell the E2 and grab a blast. I now understand why people only do local pickup for cabs. Its a major pain trying to line up shipping and making sure its properly packed to be shipped.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
You know, thegameroom makes it so easy to pick up just about any cab you want, and I think Ken is one of the few guys I'd ever want to ship me a cab. He's done it a million times and they show up in great shape.

It will probably be a few years until I get my next, but an EII is right near the top of my list.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
They need a baby E2 like the little neo with the hood, just so you guys can have a club called "tater tots" :D

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I fitted a Wei-ya 3129 chassis to my E2 last weekend. I'll have to put up some pics of the 15k and 31k performance once I get the monitor adjusted. I need to work on trying to negate as much of the bottom right compression as I can, which is common with this chassis, before I post any pics.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
You'll probably never get the 15kHz mode quite perfect... geometry and color saturation/purity are the 2 biggest issues with those chassis as you probably well know. It's been years since I had my Impress that I put a C3129A on and I cant recall if it had additional "master" pots on the chassis itself... but if it does, try adjusting those first under load and doing the micro adjustments on the remote board.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
You'll probably never get the 15kHz mode quite perfect... geometry and color saturation/purity are the 2 biggest issues with those chassis as you probably well know. It's been years since I had my Impress that I put a C3129A on and I cant recall if it had additional "master" pots on the chassis itself... but if it does, try adjusting those first under load and doing the micro adjustments on the remote board.

Color seems to be fine. There is the some issue with geometery in the lower right. Would those convergence tabs rememdy the issue?

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Unfortunately probably not. The convergence will effect the polarity and alignment of the color guns on the CRT itself so any geometry issues you are having are related to the chassis. I was never able to fully get mine looking just right. And it's my experience that messing with convergence really runs the risk of making the issue worse as it is really hard to make those adjustments precisely. The bottom right corner bowed out a bit so I ultimately just expanded the Hsize and just moved that portion off screen so I at least did not have to look at it. How does it look in 31kHz mode? I think really it is just the price to pay for having a tri sync chassis that is not Nanao quality. Personally, it never bothered my that much but I did obsess over trying to get it perfect after I initially swapped it on. I have heard of some people having better success getting the geometry properly aligned but I think that is something that is going to be on per chassis basis.

I still have the manual for my chassis I think... I can totally scan it in and upload as a PDF if you did you not get one with yours and would like to see it. Just as a curiosity, how much is Alva charging for these chassis nowadays?

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I have the manual. Doesn't contain much information really. I paid around $180 for it. Not horrible.

I did pretty much the same thing you did. I expanded the hori size and adjusted it to push it off screen. I'm not looking for absolute prefection out of this. Cause I know the tubes in the E2's are mainly C grade tubes combined with the fact that you will never get 100% perfection out of any Arcade Tube. I just want to correct as much as I can.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
C grade tubes? What kind of tube do you have in yours? Should have either a Nanao or a Toshiba.... both of which are absolutely excellent tubes.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
"A" graded tubes end up in TV's and "B" and "C" graded tubes end up as arcade tubes. I'd have to look to see the exact tube I have. From what I've read on AO forums, most E2 tubes are of lower grade on average. This is going by what I've read. It would be nice if there was a way to find out what grade of tube you have.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Hmm first I have heard about that. Interesting. My Egret has a Toshiba tube with a Nanao chassis, just like the one I owned years ago. Interesting that these are considered of a lower grade as they by far look better then any TV I have ever owned. What tube did yours have on it?

christoph

Hardened Shock Trooper
img0464oz.jpg

img0470gg.jpg

img0446gv.jpg

img0442ym.jpg

- 4 hours of chassis repair, fine tuned monitor - looks brilliant
- Disassembled and cleaned every single part on entire cab (25+ hours)
- Touched up with DTM Enamel
- Lubricated all moveable metal parts
- Polished every single part and reassembled
- Installed PCB holder, brand new joysticks & buttons, new marquee and other odds and ends

Still to do:

- install new speakers
- fix small light leak

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's a nice one! Super classy set up, congrats!

Here's my fleet, I'm still working on the room, so far there's not much else except for leather stools.
200744_1313432332335_1726472609_541068_5428327_n.jpg