Fatal Fury Special isn't that special

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
I think you meant FF2. There were no super moves in FF1 as far as i remember.

Desperation moves were still before specials in SFII, but that must be that SNK knew Capcom was planning on implementing them, so they copied Capcom before they could use it first.
princess-bride.jpg

inconceivable!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Unlocked Ryo over a decade ago.

Stop trolling this thread lonesage, that game is fucking great.

Ryo may be a Ryu ripoff, but I don't care, he had a killer style and surrounding to his character.

Rip offs. Fine.
More good games for me, I love both companies.
To bad SNK doesn't exist anymore. =(

Anyways. All BS aside. I love Geese, but he needs to rely on his Raging storm as anti air over his counter throws when he can get it, because anyone can just empty jump when they figure out how someone thinks about things and do a crouching combo/throw/wait, and if you're fighting a Kim who knows this rule, its really dangerous.

That is the hardest thing about being a god like geese, being able to do RS EVERY time without fail during someones jumps. He can actually link that also in a beefy combo.
Also, can't geese cC be used as a effective anti air if used properly? Seems like a more reliable option then his counter grab in jump situations, and its not like its gonna be a failure really.

Last edited:

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Also, can't geese cC be used as a effective anti air if used properly? Seems like a more reliable option then his counter grab in jump situations, and its not like its gonna be a failure really.

His high grab I can pull off ever time, it's his lower that I don't always time right.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Unlocked Ryo over a decade ago.

Ryo may be a Ryu ripoff, but I don't care, he had a killer style and surrounding to his character.

Rip offs. Fine.
More good games for me, I love both companies.
To bad SNK doesn't exist anymore. =(

Anyways. All BS aside. I love Geese, but he needs to rely on his Raging storm as anti air over his counter throws when he can get it, because anyone can just empty jump when they figure out how someone thinks about things and do a crouching combo/throw/wait, and if you're fighting a Kim who knows this rule, its really dangerous.

That is the hardest thing about being a god like geese, being able to do RS EVERY time without fail during someones jumps. He can actually link that also in a beefy combo.

Most of the time people like to jump in with lp or lk because it sticks out for the whole jump. It's stuff like that I would counter because it's obvious. His cC is a good anti air (better used if somebody is trying to crossup), but it's really not viable when he's waking up because of the start up frames. You need to either high counter or RS, preferably RS like you've mentioned.

But the Geese in that video didn't make use of guard counters either, which would've really helped his game when mixed in with counters.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Most of the time people like to jump in with lp or lk because it sticks out for the whole jump. It's stuff like that I would counter because it's obvious. His cC is a good anti air (better used if somebody is trying to crossup), but it's really not viable when he's waking up because of the start up frames. You need to either high counter or RS, preferably RS like you've mentioned.

But the Geese in that video didn't make use of guard counters either, which would've really helped his game when mixed in with counters.

I didn't watch those vids. The best vids I've seen are some jp players, I especially hate Jubei in this game, and my strongest character is Terry. Actually, I am gonna be reworking a room, I'll probably make this room into a game room so I can play more older neo games, I have a shitty gaming situation right now, and two HDTV's in my room, one as a computer monitor and one for the PS3, no CRT's, so the lag is unforgivable and I don't want to hurt my game. I'm gonna be reworking a bigger room into a hardcore gaming environment so I have a set up that's convenient and relaxing, so I have a go-to place for older stuff without dragging and connecting everything constantly.

We really need to do more FFS when we get a chance to.

I am considering doing a video series of explanations for gameplay in many older neo geo games that were ignored, but I wanna do it with professional quality, and cover every nuance I can imagine. I wanna go over fundamentals, mindsets, mind games, bad guessing vs build guessing etc. The comp I have at Arcade Infinity in nearly any game I play is awesome, and I wanna see if I can make contributions to the scene for explaining games that many people have but don't know anything about. A good example is RBFF, which is a awesome game, with a lot of tricky depth that few understand, and I am probably gonna use my friends Juan and Caleb in this series because me and them have a fighter history, and we all have had tourney results at some point to show we put it to action. The videos also will serve as a re-focus for those bad days we all have where we just get irritated or play badly due to it, or get stuck in patterns. I also wanna do a entire video dedicated to the belief of natural reaction vs developed reaction. Streaks making people play better due to a confidence boost. A lot of information.

Its gonna be a while, because I need a video camera for this.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I almost want to fly to California just to play FFS.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
the lonesage works in mysterious ways

forums have been dead lately...figured it was time to get everyone riled up...

and, indirectly, get people to become passionate and talk Neo for a change.

edit: what's up rocketlawnchair

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
forums have been dead lately...figured it was time to get everyone riled up...

and, indirectly, get people to become passionate and talk Neo for a change.

edit: what's up rocketlawnchair

Oh you saint you. :rolleyes:

FFS is my favorite FF after RBFF2.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Oh you saint you. :rolleyes:

FFS is my favorite FF after RBFF2.

Couldn't get into RB2, something about it and it's minor tweaks puts me off. I'm still wondering what's with the consistency of specials in the first RB. I keep getting some weird hick-up thing from the character instead of a special. Sometimes I do it four or five times before doing it. Thought maybe I had to hold down the buttons, but apparently that isn't it.

How's the online for SS2 and FFS on 360? I have a 360, just never got around to getting Live.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Couldn't get into RB2, something about it and it's minor tweaks puts me off. I'm still wondering what's with the consistency of specials in the first RB. I keep getting some weird hick-up thing from the character instead of a special. Sometimes I do it four or five times before doing it. Thought maybe I had to hold down the buttons, but apparently that isn't it.

How's the online for SS2 and FFS on 360? I have a 360, just never got around to getting Live.

The only tweak from RBFFS that I didn't like is that Hon Fu's dragonpunch move doesn't knock down standing opponents...way too easy for the other character to punish you on your fall down.

I have FFS for XBL but haven't had an online match yet. :( I'd probably get destroyed anyway.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I almost want to fly to California just to play FFS.

GGPO nigga. I'd play with anyone but I'm definitely no expert on FFS. I'd love to get some Samurai Shodown games in with you guys too.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'd play SSII with anybody any day.

Just say the word.

Is it worth getting on the 360? If it lags too much we should just get GGPO and play. Or 2DF, which I believe supports more Samsho games than GGPO.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I know the XBL Fatal Fury Special has a bit of lag but it is very playavle, I used to play the hell out of it way before HD Remix came out. How about we have a go at it tonight, I'm turing my 360 on right now and I'll be about if anyone cares to join in. I'm just gonna play casually so no worries about getting all gung-ho or anything, let's just have a good time with one of the greatest fighting games ever!

My XBL tag is electricgrave if anyone is willing to join in.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I know the XBL Fatal Fury Special has a bit of lag but it is very playavle, I used to play the hell out of it way before HD Remix came out. How about we have a go at it tonight, I'm turing my 360 on right now and I'll be about if anyone cares to join in. I'm just gonna play casually so no worries about getting all gung-ho or anything, let's just have a good time with one of the greatest fighting games ever!

My XBL tag is electricgrave if anyone is willing to join in.

If I had any Live points I'd buy it and join you. I refuse to use my debit card for anything on Live so I'll have to go out to the store tomorrow and buy some points.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Is it worth getting on the 360? If it lags too much we should just get GGPO and play. Or 2DF, which I believe supports more Samsho games than GGPO.

Played it a lot on 360 when it was first out and had no issues.

If I can get my stick to work on my PC then I'd be fine with playing on that.

Never did try GGPO or 2DF but I'll test it out if you want to try it.

Much love for SSII.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Played it a lot on 360 when it was first out and had no issues.

If I can get my stick to work on my PC then I'd be fine with playing on that.

Never did try GGPO or 2DF but I'll test it out if you want to try it.

Much love for SSII.

I'd prefer GGPO because I could never get 2DF to work. Everyone says GGPO works better anyway but it doesn't support as many games. The only Samsho game on GGPO is SS2.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well in case anyone wants to join I just created a room.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Well so much for FFS. Too bad we couldn't get a good connection. In hdremix, it showed my Thawk having you in a stormhammer, and then the next frame would show me being up-kicked by Dee Jay. Serious wtf material there. Then while I was playing that Vega player, some guy kept screaming into the mic, and I don't know if it was a coincidence but the game's framerate started to drop for me, which fucked me up. Tonight just wasn't a good night for Wes :(

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
im no ffs pro as I've never played anyone in it ever. at least not since it was new in the arcade and i was a lil scrubby kid. but its still a huge favorite of mine.

I will go idle in the ggpo FFS room if anyone wants some matches.

I do have some combos and general fighting game basics so dont worry it wont be too too easy :)

EDIT:too bad I tried to strike while online interest seemed hot but i guess i missed the bus. PM me please anyone who wants to play on GGPO. I am serious about getting into this game.

Last edited:

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Why is it that all the Alabama folks can't follow good old 68k's footsteps, at least he had lots to contribute and he was a gentleman, hell! he even kept you Alabama boys straight when dealing with others.

I miss him.

You sound like you wanna slobber on his balls, give him a call, I don't care...just don't talk to me about it.

btw, I'm much more of a gentleman than you. :D