• Trevor Noah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seth Meyers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Let's make this a big inclusive party and add in the weeklies too so John Oliver and Sam Bee can get in there.

Time slot agnostic.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Why watch any of them? On the rare chance that one of them actually has a funny segment it will be all over the internet the next day anyway. It's a tired and dated format that needs to just go away.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Why watch any of them? On the rare chance that one of them actually has a funny segment it will be all over the internet the next day anyway. It's a tired and dated format that needs to just go away.

Yeah, that's definitely true. I usually catch Oliver's stuff on youtube, and only see any of the others if they have something go viral. More that I'm curious what people think of them in general, I guess. Colbert, for instance. He's leading ratings now. I can't stand him. His show and almost 100% of his material is unwatchable unfunny garbage.

Noah is almost never funny, ever. He's politically relevant due to his heritage/upbringing (and he's obviously well-informed), but he's never funny.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Fuck I meant to include him, thought of him and then spaced it. My bad.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
huge fan of conan o'brien. was watching the one where he hosted adam west just this morning. i'm subscribed to his youtube channel team coco. those clueless gamer skits are hilarious.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Bill Maher

Can't believe I'm agreeing w/Florida, but Bill Maher is the only show I actually watch. I might catch John Oliver from time to time, but otherwise don't watch the nightly shows as I generally don't even know who the guests are since I'm out of touch w/current pop culture for the most part.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can't believe I'm agreeing w/Florida, but Bill Maher is the only show I actually watch. I might catch John Oliver from time to time, but otherwise don't watch the nightly shows as I generally don't even know who the guests are since I'm out of touch w/current pop culture for the most part.

John Oliver is my #2 as well! :eek:

I also used to be a casual watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report until Stewart left and Colbert jumped ship (and out of character).

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I haven't regularly watched late night tv since Jon Stewart retired and Colbert report ended. Only one I semi regularly watch is John Oliver, but it's only a once per week show so it's easy to catch up on full episodes via hbo go (I get it free on att). I can't stand to watch Bill Maher. His guest panels can be pretty good at times (or not), but you are essentially watching the liberal version of rush limbagh/Glenn beck. I guess he's just too polarizing for my tastes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Conan was fantastic in early 2000s. Or maybe that was the right time in my life to dig his humor. I think he's still a great guy but I'm just not into it anymore.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Trevor Noah has really come into his own. Too bad he's off for two weeks now.

John Oliver deserves a lot of credit. Now he's being sued by an energy tycoon, and he knew that was a strong possibility before criticizing him

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I used to always watch Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart when they were on Comedy Central, but I don't really do late night TV anymore.

We decided to nix our cable a couple years back, so, I just watch highlights on YouTube or elsewhere these days when the mood takes me, and I'm an old(ish) man now, so, I'm often in bed asleep by 9 or 10 anyway. My life is super exciting like that.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't think any of them other than John Oliver are particularly funny.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
John Oliver is pretty much the undisputed king when it comes to "quality," right? I mean he's the guy you read stuff about how he's enlightening the masses and all that jazz. He deserves a lot of credit for coming up with the concept that he did. It lends itself to strong shows and he and his staff make the most of it. Doesn't hurt that he and his writers consistently do produce material that actually is also really funny.

Sam Bee seems like the basic cable version wannabe John Oliver. I respect her and what she's doing, but I don't like watching her.

Sometimes I can hardly believe Jon Sterwart stumped for Noah to get the gig when he left. Noah's charming as hell, very charismatic, but he's not a good comedian (IMO), which translates to a really bad Daily Show. Larry Wilmore would have been so much better, such a raw deal the way that whole thing turned out.

Conan O'Brien reminds me of Letterman in that he can make any interview entertaining. Really witty, really smart. I think he's the most naturally funny of all of them, and that comes across on his show.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I'm with wyo and madman, Bill Maher is the only one I regularly watch.

John Oliver is pretty great and I'll catch some of his segments on Youtube every now and then though.

Colbert is OK in small doses, but not one I could watch often.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I haven't regularly watched late night tv since Jon Stewart retired and Colbert report ended. Only one I semi regularly watch is John Oliver, but it's only a once per week show so it's easy to catch up on full episodes via hbo go (I get it free on att). I can't stand to watch Bill Maher. His guest panels can be pretty good at times (or not), but you are essentially watching the liberal version of rush limbagh/Glenn beck. I guess he's just too polarizing for my tastes.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. While I certainly don't agree with all of Maher's positions, his show is entertaining and he has interesting guests. He often uses hyperbole for comedic effect, but the truth is not cynically distorted.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I don't think that's a fair comparison. While I certainly don't agree with all of Maher's positions, his show is entertaining and he has interesting guests. He often uses hyperbole for comedic effect, but the truth is not cynically distorted.

Yeah sorry about the comparison. I think What I was going for is that he's just as far left as Fox News is far right. Not that he distorts the truth in anyway. I usually found his guest interviews to be good. His panel can be a hit or miss. It was just Bills personality that turned me off. I haven't watched in a over a couple years. I'll try to watch again, maybe it won't rub me the wrong way this time around.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Larry Wilmore should be honorarily on the list. Was one of my favorites.

I don't watch Colbert's new show anymore. It's not really for me.

I have to watch Bill Maher every week.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Aris (i usually watch twitch at night)

John Oliver is great, but i just catch his stuff on youtube.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't really care for TV much these days, but I like Jimmy Kimmel 'cause he seems like a cool cat, nice presentation and impeccable on the chit chat, just a guy you wanna have some drinks with and shoot the shit. Jimmy Fallon is also funny, but he's too wonky at times, same with Conan. Never cared for Leno, same with Letterman, just 2 old fucks I could never relate to during their time. I can't believe Conan didn't get prime time when neither of the 2 left the scene, he really was better than the 2 put together.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Conan did get Leno's spot on The Tonight Show originally. Then ratings didn't do too well in the first few months he was on, and Leno started making noise about taking the show back.

So the network went to Conan and told him they wanted him to move to like an hour later to accommodate a slightly shorter Leno show in the original time slot, and Conan told them to fuck themselves.

Ultimately, NBC negotiated a really expensive buyout with Conan for like $40 million, and in his last week he had lots of expensive, stupid shit on each of his shows in order to drive up NBC's costs.

Leno went back to the show and Conan had to spend like 6 or 8 months off of tv as a non-compete, but he was pretty active online and when he started at TBS he took a ton of shots at Leno, who in turn took cheap shots at him.

Best late night drama in a long time.

edit: some of the details may be a little off, that's all from memory.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
you need the very brilliant new host- jim jefferies.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
I don't stay up to watch any of these shows.
I do watch clips on youtube.
Right now, I love watching Colbert, Oliver, and Meyers go after Trump. I also like seeing Sam Bee clips.