Firearm enthusiast thread

Yeah I think Im pretty sold on the S&W 629 five inch classic thanks to that advice. The price of 44 rem mag is down to like a buck, to a buck twenty a round for plinking ammo. Between 308 and 30-06 price so thats not bad. One box per range trip outing and thats not too terrible.

Sorry for revolver babbling so much in this thread. Ive just been stuck on them. Speaking of which the owner of the private range and I got talking revolvers and he ended up showing me a few of his. The one that really blew my mind was an S&W 625 Jerry Miculek edition. Boy I wish 45acp was more attractive to me, I’ll post a pic. By far the best feeling revolver action and general setup ive shot.

Definitely want to try more smooth wood grips, had a V notch rear sight that sold me on those. He was showing me some slightly modified hogue grips that worked better than my stock ones. But I was very surprised how slim smooth grips let your hand naturally ride a lot higher. These are all things we are going to bring to the 610 for science.
A1CC120F-FFDD-4847-9A3A-EA77350D0252.jpeg

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Been a long time since I posted here... My last purchase was a "happy early retirement to me" present when I took the buyout package after 3 weeks, 2 days shy of 20 years at Cisco Systems...

A Christensen Arms MPR (Modern Precision Rifle) in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Nikon FX1000 6-24x50 SF IL FX_MOA (1000 yard) scope. :)

Still haven't lost the weight or exercised enough to go on a mountain sheep hunt. Still on my to-do list.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I’ll go with a 5”.

Truth is I was having the opposite issue, I really wanted a SW500 with a 10.5" barrel but logic and practicality won out and I went with 7.5" for both my .460 and 500

gun.jpg

Been a long time since I posted here... My last purchase was a "happy early retirement to me" present when I took the buyout package after 3 weeks, 2 days shy of 20 years at Cisco Systems...

A Christensen Arms MPR (Modern Precision Rifle) in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Nikon FX1000 6-24x50 SF IL FX_MOA (1000 yard) scope. :)

Still haven't lost the weight or exercised enough to go on a mountain sheep hunt. Still on my to-do list.

When you say retire do you mean like you just left the company.

That's a nice rifle, I'm assuming you taken it out to at least the range.

Last edited:
yeah channelmaniac its good to see you post. You helped me with a few things way way back in the day and I think I sent you a few big boxes of broken games/boards as a thanks. What state are you in that you get to hunt mountain sheep? I envy you guys with big distance shooting in your area.

@mainman I thought I was a long barrel guy, short always looked dumb to me but running a 4 inch barrel so much lately has me liking shortys too now. There is a 10 5/8 barrel model 629 ive been eyeing on gunbroker

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
yeah channelmaniac its good to see you post. You helped me with a few things way way back in the day and I think I sent you a few big boxes of broken games/boards as a thanks. What state are you in that you get to hunt mountain sheep? I envy you guys with big distance shooting in your area.

@mainman I thought I was a long barrel guy, short always looked dumb to me but running a 4 inch barrel so much lately has me liking shortys too now.

It really depends on what you need for the job. If you need something to draw fast and conceal for self defense, the shorter the better. If you plan to hunt, the longer the better.

I have around 2 thousand rounds of 44 mag, American Eagle and Buffalo Bore.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
This is similar to how it went down when I fired a 700 grain from a 3" barrel SW500

Yeah this is the problem with being such a noob. Im just in a stage where I want to try it all so its good to get a warning that you guys thought it was a bad idea for me to try a snub 44.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yeah this is the problem with being such a noob. Im just in a stage where I want to try it all so its good to get a warning that you guys thought it was a bad idea for me to try a snub 44.

Well it's a bad ideal to spend your money on a .44 snub, you can try it as I know it will not recoil like a snub 500 but it will still kick harder than a longer barrel variant.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Thanks! I'm in Texas so I can go next door to New Mexico for a guided hunt.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
We need to get you to add some more semiautomatics to your collection

After a 44, a sig sauer P220 10mm is most likely next. My plan is to sell 3 pistols and replace them with those 2.

“My swisher sweet but my sig sauer”

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I just CC a pocket .32ACP because I'm lazy but still want a pistola with me.
4th generation glork 41 on the bedside.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Does anyone know of an ACTUAL gunsmith who can do custom fabricating. I need a custom barrel built or a OEM barrel modified

Im definitely glad I didnt get the snub, 44mag hits quite a bit harder than I was expecting, good looking out.

Attachments

• B979727C-80F9-46B7-AEC5-89729E94480C.jpeg
    B979727C-80F9-46B7-AEC5-89729E94480C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 1D51A0AA-2845-42B3-87BD-9E5DFADEF06F.jpeg
    1D51A0AA-2845-42B3-87BD-9E5DFADEF06F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If you use a 6 inch barrel .44 and keep practicing eventually the recoil will feel like a 9mm

Feels like nothing from this.

eagle.jpg

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
No way will a 44mag feel like 9mm ever

Spoken like a guy who doesnt shoot 9mm, lol

Dude I literally don't notice the recoil from the .44 anymore after shooting 50AE/454/460/500 mainly
I can mag dump .44 like nothing, maybe the type of firearm I use makes it easier

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you're considering getting into nearly any revolver round, definitely look into reloading. Even with prices high, I could buy primers/projectiles/powder to load 240g 44 magnum SJSP for $.35/rd. If primers comes down to something reasonable like $50/1000, projectiles come down to $150/1000, and I could get jars of Unique for even $40/lb...that would bring the price down to around $.28/rd.
You wouldn’t need anything fancy for a round like that, a solid single stage would be fine for runs in the “50 rounds or less” category. Yes, there’s the initial investment, but it definitely pays off. I began loading in 2019 and have highly enjoyed it. In the end, I don’t think that mass round like 9mm are worth the effort, but 44 magnum/spcl, 38 spcl, 460 S&W, 45-70, 7.62x54r, and match 223 have all been worth the time.

On the topic of the hyper magnums, I love my 460, but I'll admit that if I shoot it too much, it wreaks havoc on my thumb joint, so I need to do it on occasion. I skipped the 500 on purpose as I’ve found that heavy projectiles in magnums hurt my wrist…in the end I don’t feel I made a bad choice. About all I load in 460 are 240g XTPs, but I’ll load 360g Grizzly hard cast when I feel like punishing myself.

Last year, I picked up a CVA Scout in 45-70 and began loading for that round. I won’t say its been the easiest round to load accurately, but I’m definitely having fun learning how to work with it.

When I was a kid, firearms were forbidden in my home, but the family two houses down had several large safes full of awesome. I was not allowed to go shooting with them but I was pretty close friends with their kids, had a lot of sleepovers at his house where we would hang out in the garage all night and reload ammo and play with radio control cars. It was highly enjoyable to reload even as a kid not firing them.

Now that Im into firearms I cant ever really see bothering with it. I dont want to give up any more of my space at home to firearms and I really dont want to bother with those initial costs. 44 mag has actually come down a ton in just the last year. Priced between 308 and 30-06 for plinking rounds. 762x54r is even cheaper. I cant see really going bigger as I dont get the appeal of big recoil, but we’ll see. I also find keeping a bunch of calibers stocked a hassle, so Im not trying to have a lot of calibers outside of the handful of regulars I keep stocked. In other words I only really burn through the mass produced calibers. Funny enough I find myself following ammo prices like they are stocks, I look at every sales ad emailed to me, search it on the internet when Im bored sometimes. I get my ammo a bit cheaper that way.

CVA scout looks cool!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you're considering getting into nearly any revolver round, definitely look into reloading. Even with prices high, I could buy primers/projectiles/powder to load 240g 44 magnum SJSP for $.35/rd. If primers comes down to something reasonable like $50/1000, projectiles come down to $150/1000, and I could get jars of Unique for even $40/lb...that would bring the price down to around $.28/rd.
You wouldn’t need anything fancy for a round like that, a solid single stage would be fine for runs in the “50 rounds or less” category. Yes, there’s the initial investment, but it definitely pays off. I began loading in 2019 and have highly enjoyed it. In the end, I don’t think that mass round like 9mm are worth the effort, but 44 magnum/spcl, 38 spcl, 460 S&W, 45-70, 7.62x54r, and match 223 have all been worth the time.

On the topic of the hyper magnums, I love my 460, but I'll admit that if I shoot it too much, it wreaks havoc on my thumb joint, so I need to do it on occasion. I skipped the 500 on purpose as I’ve found that heavy projectiles in magnums hurt my wrist…in the end I don’t feel I made a bad choice. About all I load in 460 are 240g XTPs, but I’ll load 360g Grizzly hard cast when I feel like punishing myself.

Last year, I picked up a CVA Scout in 45-70 and began loading for that round. I won’t say its been the easiest round to load accurately, but I’m definitely having fun learning how to work with it.

Hey, good to see you pop up again.

Reactions: wyo