Gameboy or GBC "hidden gems"?

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Dangan GB2, bullet hell boss rush on the GBC.

First one for the GB, hard to play on original hardware but definitely worth checking out

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
For years now, I have a ritual of getting drunk and/or high and going to Yahoo Japan auctions and buying shit I don't need. It's changed through the years...first arcade PCBs and PCE games...some GB stuff...now I predominantly only buy GB stuff.

It's been cheap...until the ANALogue pocket came out. Anyone else notice this? I mean, the mod scene didn't help. When screens became IPS and you had more than a few sites specializing in GB mods, things heated up a tad.

But now, it's just stupid. I knew it would trickle down to GB eventually, but it's still annoying. We live in a timeline where Atari Jaguar and GB games are expensive. Retarded.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
For years now, I have a ritual of getting drunk and/or high and going to Yahoo Japan auctions and buying shit I don't need. It's changed through the years...first arcade PCBs and PCE games...some GB stuff...now I predominantly only buy GB stuff.

It's been cheap...until the ANALogue pocket came out. Anyone else notice this? I mean, the mod scene didn't help. When screens became IPS and you had more than a few sites specializing in GB mods, things heated up a tad.

But now, it's just stupid. I knew it would trickle down to GB eventually, but it's still annoying. We live in a timeline where Atari Jaguar and GB games are expensive. Retarded.

I ask myself why I acquired an Analogue Duo for weeks now.

I did this to myself.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I ask myself why I acquired an Analogue Duo for weeks now.

I did this to myself.

Yeah PCE was on the up and up, mainly because people were running out of crap to collect. But now that the Duo is out I bet prices are UP on PCE stuff

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

I only buy Gameboy games on Aliexpress now.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
There are still great deals in Japan. It's not as easy as it was a decade ago, but it does require going to game shops in Japan, which this forum is against, oddly.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

That's why I am a huge proponent of GameGear. No matter what has happened in the retro scene, the GG market has remained stable, cheap, and easy to obtain.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
That's why I am a huge proponent of GameGear. No matter what has happened in the retro scene, the GG market has remained stable, cheap, and easy to obtain.

I tried to mod a Game Gear with a clean screen - just a nightmare. @Ajax, wanna take a look at it for me? ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I only buy Gameboy games on Aliexpress now.

This was actually a (kinda) serious post. Modern ali boots are just single game flash carts, I buy like 10 of them and flash them to whatever I want and if I'm feeling spicy I'll pair them with a high quality shell and label. I still use an Everdrive most of the time but I made boots of games I play a lot but don't feel like buying the real thing, like Operation C and Ninja Gaiden Shadow.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Seriously though, it doesn't matter, they're all pretty much the same. I just pulled up my order history to see what exact store I used but it no longer exists.

Generally speaking, most any B&W game without saving can be made with any other game, but most of the ones you'd want are already made. If want a game with saving it can be tricky, as a lot of the sellers like using hacks that save games so they don't have to pay for a battery. For those, I use Perfect Dark, it's guaranteed to have a battery in it. I've made carts for the Super Mario Land DX and Mario Land 2 DX carts with these and they work and save fine. GBA is a minefield that I won't get into here. Still doable, but you have to know exactly what donor to use for what cart you want to make.

You can use a GBxCart RW to program them.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Battle Arena Toshinden is really good. One of the best fighters I've played on the GB, no exaggeration. Takara really did a great job with their ports. That said, playing it is making me look harder into a modded GB with a larger screen. They letterbox the image for a wider play field, so my old man eyes struggle with the little screen.

I also recently picked up James Bond 007 when I found it locally for cheap, based on the recommendation of some in this thread. Interesting game so far. I like the mix of RPG/puzzle/combat. I'm just getting into it, so not far yet, and have struggled with the boss battles. But it's definitely a cool game.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Battle Arena Toshinden is really good. One of the best fighters I've played on the GB, no exaggeration. Takara really did a great job with their ports. That said, playing it is making me look harder into a modded GB with a larger screen. They letterbox the image for a wider play field, so my old man eyes struggle with the little screen.

I also recently picked up James Bond 007 when I found it locally for cheap, based on the recommendation of some in this thread. Interesting game so far. I like the mix of RPG/puzzle/combat. I'm just getting into it, so not far yet, and have struggled with the boss battles. But it's definitely a cool game.

Haha that's awesome. I played Toshinden this morning as well. All the Takara fighters are worth owning.

That FPGBC has the biggest screen for me to date. Other than emulation handhelds of course.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I played the HELL out of Toshinden when it first came out. Actually booted it up a few years ago and still found it surprisingly fun and solid as hell for a Fighter on the GB.