Games with moral choice systems: Do you go good or evil?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Since most games with this system have the rigid option of going one way or the other I have noticed that people have a tendency to go one route initially when playing a game.

I myself usually go the good route. Tends to be a more challenging experience and I enjoy not being a cartoonishly evil bad guy with a gruffy voice and scruff.

Only time I change that so far has been in Skyrim and Oblivion where not being 'evil' limits you from a large collection of extra content where being good does not seem to provide any extensive extra pathways.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Depends on my mood at the time. With games like the mass effect series, I'll play through 100% good or evil, then replay the game as the opposite later. I never go middle of the road, as that makes for a blander experience.

The light side versus dark side routes in the KOTOR series were also great.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is one of the older examples of good / evil paths, it was great for the time.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm always the good guy in Fallout and shit. Currently in inFamous as well, but I might have to play through it again and be a dick.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
In Samsho II and III I usually use Bust characters. In Old Skool Fable I was evil as hell. As far as Fallout, Skyrim I'm usually good. I guess it depends on the game really.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I was always good in Mass Effect the first time around, never made the conscientious decision to do so, that's just where my choices kinda gravitated to.

I did enjoy being evil in oblivion, though. The dark brotherhood was a ton of fun and made me feel like such a sneaky badass. I always mentally make a vow to play through again in other decisions, but never do so because of other games taking time

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I can't help but always play 'good'. Just thinking about the 'evil' options in games I've played have made me legitimately felt bad about the potential choice.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I can't help but always play 'good'. Just thinking about the 'evil' options in games I've played have made me legitimately felt bad about the potential choice.

Good first.

I always intend to go back and play through as evil on a second go but I never do. Guess I really don't care about being a bad guy at all.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
It really depends on how lame the good guys look.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The Mass Effect, KOTOR games I normally go through at least twice (one evil, one good) just to see the plot differences.

Without purposely choosing and making my own on the spot decisions causes a mixture of good/bad not surprisingly which is how I play the games first time through.

Army of Two the 40th day had an interesting moral system that always ended up bad for somebody.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In the fallout 3/LV series I would kill everything, and then move the bodies around, knowing that sometimes they would stay there. It was a lot more fun that way. "Human" interaction was only to achieve more firepower, such as the Euclid C finder.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Given a choice I will always play as a goodguy.

That said I still enjoy games where the plot revolves around you being a badguy.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I usually pick good. The only thing I replayed as evil was bio shock because it was such a good game. But there's so many games I want to play and limited time so I hardly ever replay the games as evil, even if I'd like to.

Most of these games are really long. I don't really feel line putting another 80 hours into fallout 3, wonderful as it was.

One game I am currently playing as good and evil to see different material, however, is Fables: the wolf among us. The scenarios are short enough that it's just more feasible for me.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
The first play through of these games, I try to make the choices I would make in that decision. Lame, I know, but I do. If it's something I'm going to be replaying, though, I'll make in effort to do a good and a bad guy run through to see how it plays out. I did that with Mass Effect for sure.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Being evil back in Black & White was very statisfying.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In Telltale's Walking dead, such choices are few and far between.

Though I did choose to save the aspie geek over the hot reporter.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I always play the bad guy and make the immoral criminal decisions to be more realistic with how the world really works. I sometimes will go back and play the make believe fantasy good guy route. Never went back however to play the good guy route in army of two the 40th day as I believed shooting my partner and best friend in the head at point blank range was the only way to win.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Good for the first run through of a game, then switch over to evil for some fun. I find if your playing a game like Fallout 3/New Vegas you find better stuff when you go the good guy route. Then again, you always make another save file so you can do the other stuff like blowing up the nuke in the town full of people in Fallout 3, something I'd never do going the good route.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Good route first, then I replay evil and usually tire of it and convert. The bad route even on well developed games like Fallout usually just consist of destroy everything and kill everyone. I find it boring really.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
In Telltale's Walking dead, such choices are few and far between.

Though I did choose to save the aspie geek over the hot reporter.

I find I generally go with the public's favoured choice, which is for the majority of the time, the 'good' choice.

I guess that makes me a good guy.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The more havok the better, games weren't made for you to hold back son.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
No Tesla coils as the good guys in command and conquer so I usually go bad there. I usually go good in games first time through though then come back to the bad guys, I think because I assume the programmers must have made the good guys better or else the world will have been turned upside down and I couldn't cope.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The first time I played Tactics Ogre, I chose to massacre the townspeople. Ironically that was the Lawful route.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
In the games that really give you a choice in being good or evil, the good side's storyline is always better implemented so I tend to stick to good.