Gentlemen...BEHOLD: The Nintendo 3DS

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
What is the deal with this 3D craze the past couple years? I hate 3D, my eyes go bonkers watching anything in 3D for more than a few minutes. 3DS sounds more like VirtuaBoy 2.0 to me at this point. Atleast the 3DS will have DS backwards compatibility out of the gate.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Wow. That second video was amazing.

I get sick playing FPS games so I do wonder if I'll even be able to play the games made for it, but if the next system has games like that, I may be forced to pick it up anyway.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I blame Avatar.

Looks pretty cool to me.

I won't lie, I'm excited about the 3DS. The 3D effect in that demo video looks great. But I'm worried about how third-party developers would use this tech. I hope this new system will get a big reveal at E3 (as reported), because I want in-game footage. I need to see a 3D world traversed by in-game characters, and more than just 2D characters on the foreground of a 3D background.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
maybe we will get a port of Time Traveler lol!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'd be happy with a DS sporting a larger display, like PSP size. Some of those games have great details that just get lost on that small screen, especially the Castlevania offerings and Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (among others.)

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Avatar had some killer 3D effects, but I just saw Alice in Wonderland and they weren't done as well and I didn't see the point. I still liked the movie though.

Maybe this means a cool Zelda game.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

I don't pay attention to DS news because I sort of gave up playing it due to the small screen. I tried the DSi but didn't think it was a big enough enlargement and just kind of gave up on the scene. I'm really out of the loop on all things DS, but thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
the video looks pretty interesting. I'd like to see a duck hunt game :)

actually, i remember seeing a video where someone had done something sort of similar with a Wii...

I don't pay attention to DS news because I sort of gave up playing it due to the small screen. I tried the DSi but didn't think it was a big enough enlargement and just kind of gave up on the scene. I'm really out of the loop on all things DS, but thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out.

I actually hope nintendo doesn't keep increasing the sizes of their portables too much. I think the DS lite was a good size and small enough to truly be considered portable. For example, I like the psp, but honestly don't really take it around with me anywhere as I feel its too big.

aria

Former Moderator
Merged.

I like that they're using this style of 3D.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
This is a really pleasant surprise. I was looking this up yesterday and people were saying there was no way it was going to happen.

wahhhhh *cry* I hate waiting for stuff. This is a year away from release too.

Last edited:

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
The 3D technology looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see Mario Bros., Zelda, and Metroid in a 3D environment like that.

I'm glad I waited on getting a DSi or DSi XL.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
One thing I have to give Nintendo is that they're always ahead of their time and are not afraid to think outside the box...and they won't ever let an idea die down until they release a successful iteration of it when the technology for it is ripe.

Examples:

Powerglove --> Wiimote: Since the NES, Nintendo has always wanted to bring more to the table than merely pushing buttons. Now they have an excellent recipe to do that with the Wiimote.

Trackpad --> Wii Fit: Basically it does a whole lot more than what the trackpad does, and is now one of the best selling accessories that Nintendo has ever released.

and now Virtual Boy --> 3DS: Now that technology is prepared for this jump, and with the whole 3D craze, there hasn't been a better time to re-visit this idea until now.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
One thing I have to give Nintendo is that they're always ahead of their time and are not afraid to think outside the box...and they won't ever let an idea die down until they release a successful iteration of it when the technology for it is ripe.

and now Virtual Boy --> 3DS: Now that technology is prepared for this jump, and with the whole 3D craze, there hasn't been a better time to re-visit this idea until now.
It would be awsome to see a remake of Wario Land find its way onto the new 3DS handheld.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I actually hope nintendo doesn't keep increasing the sizes of their portables too much. I think the DS lite was a good size and small enough to truly be considered portable. For example, I like the psp, but honestly don't really take it around with me anywhere as I feel its too big.

That's why I liked the Gameboy Players so much. I could play it on a TV screen if I wanted to see the details on a larger screen.

In the last two years, I've had extensive eye surgeries and it's left my vision the worse for wear. I can still see well enough, but on smaller LCDs with refresh rates and blur, my eyes can't always track the action or enjoy the graphics, especially on games where the characters share color schemes with the environments. Reading glasses help, but at the end of the day I just want to be able to enjoy the rich detail of many of those DS games and the current screen size just doesn't always allow for that. At least with the PSP, I was able to play God Of War w/video out so I could really enjoy that game's environments and the detail they put in it. Chains Of Olympus would be awesome redone in 720p like the collection.

A video out option for the DS would be optimal for my needs, but I don't know how feasible it would be for the DS (and especially not the 3D games for the upcoming model.) I just don't know technology well enough to be able to say one way or the other. I don't see why it couldn't be done for current gen DS, but again...I don't know.

Man, Avatar really ignited a new awareness in 3D, didn't it? It seems like ever since that movie streeted, 3D's been all the rage.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
It will release between April of 2010 and March of 2011? That narrows it down.

sonofx51

If you're even THINKING about TRADING with this us
so it's gonna be the virtual boy done right, lol. no more bleeding eyes to get the 3d effect in videogames.