Gentlemen...BEHOLD: The Nintendo 3DS

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
so it's gonna be the virtual boy done right, lol. no more bleeding eyes to get the 3d effect in videogames.

And hopefully, its creator won't kill himself/herself because of it.

snk`

Kula's Candy
The DSi XL just got released recently here.. and now a new DS handheld is announced wtf.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Looks pretty rad to me. If it's $200 or less at launch and there's a decent game or two, I'll buy it.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
And hopefully, its creator won't kill himself/herself because of it.

He didn't kill himself. He was helping someone on the side of the road when another car hit and killed him.

Edit: And don't forget he begged Nintendo for more time to perfect the Virtual Boy, but they said no.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
So I take it now Nintendo's new game plan is to release a revision/new handheld every year? It puzzles me why they would announce an upgrade a few days before the DSi XL is released.

I think it is pretty safe to assume now that the PSP2 will offer some sort of 3D features to combat this. If so, Nintendo might have taken a bit of wind out of Sony's sails if this is the case.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
He didn't kill himself. He was helping someone on the side of the road when another car hit and killed him.

Bah, he could have moved faster if he really wanted to get out of the way.

On a serious note, I wasn't aware of that. For some reason, I'd always remembered it as he comitted suicide. Always good to know the truth, I suppose. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now that I think of it, the whole 'killed himself over a system failing' thing feels like an Urban myth. I wonder how that all got started, or if I mixed up the story with a different developer.

Edit: And don't forget he begged Nintendo for more time to perfect the Virtual Boy, but they said no.

This much I knew.

Idea was ahead of its time. Nice to see the concept can be revisited with current technology.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And I was so sure that the next innovation from Nintendo was going to deal with smell in video games.

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
And I was so sure that the next innovation from Nintendo was going to deal with smell in video games.

I honestly thought they were going to make a handheld version of the wii. DS style with the sensor bar built in or something.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
That's why I liked the Gameboy Players so much. I could play it on a TV screen if I wanted to see the details on a larger screen.

In the last two years, I've had extensive eye surgeries and it's left my vision the worse for wear. I can still see well enough, but on smaller LCDs with refresh rates and blur, my eyes can't always track the action or enjoy the graphics, especially on games where the characters share color schemes with the environments. Reading glasses help, but at the end of the day I just want to be able to enjoy the rich detail of many of those DS games and the current screen size just doesn't always allow for that. At least with the PSP, I was able to play God Of War w/video out so I could really enjoy that game's environments and the detail they put in it. Chains Of Olympus would be awesome redone in 720p like the collection.

A video out option for the DS would be optimal for my needs, but I don't know how feasible it would be for the DS (and especially not the 3D games for the upcoming model.) I just don't know technology well enough to be able to say one way or the other. I don't see why it couldn't be done for current gen DS, but again...I don't know.

Man, Avatar really ignited a new awareness in 3D, didn't it? It seems like ever since that movie streeted, 3D's been all the rage.

yeah, I understand what you are saying then. Video output, or some kind connectivity through the wii to use a ds on a tv would be cool...and probably not that outrageous of an idea. I never used a gameboy player, but I did connect my gba to my gc for zelda 4 swords and, though gimmicky, it worked well.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I thought it looked very interesting. Will probably sell like hotcakes.

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
I hope it doesn't look like this:

bhq9mvmvwupqqm265.png

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'll wait for 3 months after launch to buy a 3DS Lite. Or maybe another 6 months after to buy the next iteration.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I was going to bitch about how Nintendo makes a new fucking DS practically every year, but looks like several others already beat me to it.

Congratulations Nintendo DS! I dub thee "The Madden of Video Game Systems!"

SSS

neo retired
The DSi XL just got released recently here.. and now a new DS handheld is announced wtf.

I think this is just another lesson as why you should not buy Nintendo handheld products.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What's wrong with two screens? Of the complaints I have with DS, that is not one of them.
I'd rather pay for and carry around one good screen than two not-as-good screens. Also, many of the games I would play don't really utilize the second screen for anything important. The DS design is clunky -- there's a lot of unused space around the top screen. Sure, the PSP isn't perfect (it demands a screen protector) but I prefer the superior screen and optical disc-based technology.

It's true, I hardly play my portable consoles, so my opinion counts for very little.