God of War III

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i'm loving this game...effing brutal

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
where did you get hit man?

In Olympia, right after you return from Hades. At that gate that lights up with all the eyes and you have to kill the sentries to pass, use the Claws of Hades and
L_1.png
+
circle18x18.png
like mad. The skulls it summons will keep your combo going and do no real damage, with the added benefit of keeping the enemies away from you, for the most part. Takes a few minutes to get to 1000, but it works. Just direct your strikes at whichever for happens to be closest.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
In Olympia, right after you return from Hades. At that gate that lights up with all the eyes and you have to kill the sentries to pass, use the Claws of Hades and
L_1.png
+
circle18x18.png
like mad. The skulls it summons will keep your combo going and do no real damage, with the added benefit of keeping the enemies away from you, for the most part. Takes a few minutes to get to 1000, but it works. Just direct your strikes at whichever for happens to be closest.

that makes total sense... Sheesh. What mode were you playing in?

Deuce

that makes total sense... Sheesh. What mode were you playing in?

Normal/God. I've heard you can also do it the Nemesis Whip when you've finished beating up Skorpius, since the fight apparently won't finish up unless you use the Nemean Cestus.

Deuce

LOL! Just got a new set of samples from Aphrodite's attendants during GoW3's sex minigame.

Girl 1: "This is definitely for mature audiences."
Girl 2: "Parents shouldn't let their children watch this."

Nice.

Also, just got the Up to the Challenge trophy. Rawk.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Congrats to Deuce and his platinum trophy...

I managed to get most of them in GoW II yesterday. I just need to conquer the Challenge of the Titans and I'm pretty much there. I'll tackle the hard bits of III after that (namely the Challenge and Titan mode).

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I started playing GoW instead to catch up.

Looks and sounds great.

I'm surprised how much of it I remember. Must be a good sign.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Normal/God. I've heard you can also do it the Nemesis Whip when you've finished beating up Skorpius, since the fight apparently won't finish up unless you use the Nemean Cestus.

I got it. It was tedious but at least I did it without much trouble.

HeartlessNinny

I started playing GoW instead to catch up.

Looks and sounds great.

I'm surprised how much of it I remember. Must be a good sign.

That's a good idea. The first game is just as fun, really. I think it's probably my favourite from the series. They're all great though.

HeartlessNinny

Fuck yes... I got the platinum for God of War II. That's some satisfying shit right there.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I played the Demo for this game and I was hooked inmediately, keep in mind that not even Batman AA Demo was able to do that and I loved that demo. The demo drew me in so hard that I went ahead and bought the HD reissues of GOW I & II and the PSP prequel.

I did in fact owned the first GOW for PS2 but I only got so far before I quit playing it, now before playing GOW III I'm playing GOW I, but this time I'm gonna beat it for good and I'll follow with the rest. I gave my PS2 copy away 'cause I didn't see any reason to own it anymore though.

Fubnny thing is that I could have waited for it to go down in price given that beating the other 3 games is gonna take sometime at the rate I play this type of games but I don't care, the game is so incredible that is worth everydamn penny.

Deuce

Yeah, the GoW Collection (1 & 2, for those who are unaware) is a damn fine package for only $30 new at retail. I just wish they'd rerendered the prerendered game-engine cinemas at 720p, as those stand in rather stark contrast to the rest of the games. Also, it would have been kind of nice if they'd standardized the little changes between games... ie. GoW1 requires you to press R2 to open chests instead of R1 in 2 and 3.

Also, regarding the various skins for Kratos... I saw a piece of evidence that their exclusivity to a given source is to be only temporary. 7-11 has their promo going on to get the Morpheus Armor skin, and when I was looking at the Terms & Conditions, I saw a tidbit about the bonus items being exclusive to 7-11 until April 16th or thereabouts.... so I think these items will become available on PSN before long. Probably for a modest fee, though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, the GoW Collection (1 & 2, for those who are unaware) is a damn fine package for only $30 new at retail. I just wish they'd rerendered the prerendered game-engine cinemas at 720p, as those stand in rather stark contrast to the rest of the games. Also, it would have been kind of nice if they'd standardized the little changes between games... ie. GoW1 requires you to press R2 to open chests instead of R1 in 2 and 3.

Also, regarding the various skins for Kratos... I saw a piece of evidence that their exclusivity to a given source is to be only temporary. 7-11 has their promo going on to get the Morpheus Armor skin, and when I was looking at the Terms & Conditions, I saw a tidbit about the bonus items being exclusive to 7-11 until April 16th or thereabouts.... so I think these items will become available on PSN before long. Probably for a modest fee, though.

Do you have any strategies for the challenges of olympus like the unarmed, el matador, and stoner?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I watched the Peter Weller documentary.

Pretty good examination of Kratos and why he is an effective character in the Greek Tragedy mold. It's a very interesting look at the anthropological elements of mythological storytelling and how that was applied to the God Of War series. Made me want to start up with GoW and play them all from the beginning, in fact.

And Peter Weller has not aged well at all. Dude's looking like the Gravedigger (who is Zeus) from GoW 1.

RE Hope being Kratos' weapon:

I have absolutely NO problems with Hope being the weapon Kratos uses to defeat the gods. Totally fits the theme of Greek mythology and the laws that govern that form of literature, IMO.

Deuce

Do you have any strategies for the challenges of olympus like the unarmed, el matador, and stoner?

El Matador is STUPIDLY easy if you know the trick to it.

L_1.png
+
circle18x18.png
to take out the group of weak enemies.
2. Run to the edge closest to the camera to lure the minotaurs.
3. When the minotaurs get close in their charge, run off the edge. Kratos will grab the edge and hang, and the minotaurs will run right off to their deaths. Climb up, and repeat as necessary until you've completed the challenge. Easy-peasy.

--
For Bare Hands, the main thing to remember is, DO NOT USE CONTEXT-SENSITIVE KILLS. They eat up too much valuable time, and you just barely have enough to pull this off. At the very start, run over to the right and grab the peon emerging from the ground, then charge at the Talos on the top. You can split the damage between both Talos statues. If you're really lucky, you might knock one right off the edge. Basically, use the
circle18x18.png
grab and
square18x18.png
dash to do your damage all over the place. If you can't knock one of the Talos off the platform almost immediately, try to split the damage of your dashes between them evenly, so you can take both out roughly at the same time, then focus on the Cyclops Enforcer. Once that one's done, grab the remaining peons and then
Triangle18x18.png
for the quickest kill on them. This one's always going to be close, and it took me a few dozen attempts.

--
Stoned is both frustrating and fun. Not as difficult as Bare Hands, IMO. A few tricks can make it easier:

1. Grab the wandering souls for health boosts, as you will need them.
2. Grab Medusas to immediately bait them into using the stone gaze, rather than their physical attacks.
3. Stay on the ground at all times.
4. To speed up the process of being turned to stone, hit
L_1.png
to block, and when the button prompt comes up, hit the WRONG button to be instantly changed, and start shaking to break out of it.
5. When you get too crowded, use
L_1.png
to block a Medusa's gaze and hit the CORRECT button to petrify everything immediately around you, and crush everything nearby (specifically, Satyrs and Cyclops Enforcers, as well as Medusas. Harpies will typically fall to the ground and smash on their own).

Good luck.

HeartlessNinny

El Matador is STUPIDLY easy if you know the trick to it.

L_1.png
+
circle18x18.png
to take out the group of weak enemies.
2. Run to the edge closest to the camera to lure the minotaurs.
3. When the minotaurs get close in their charge, run off the edge. Kratos will grab the edge and hang, and the minotaurs will run right off to their deaths. Climb up, and repeat as necessary until you've completed the challenge. Easy-peasy.

--
For Bare Hands, the main thing to remember is, DO NOT USE CONTEXT-SENSITIVE KILLS. They eat up too much valuable time, and you just barely have enough to pull this off. At the very start, run over to the right and grab the peon emerging from the ground, then charge at the Talos on the top. You can split the damage between both Talos statues. If you're really lucky, you might knock one right off the edge. Basically, use the
circle18x18.png
grab and
square18x18.png
dash to do your damage all over the place. If you can't knock one of the Talos off the platform almost immediately, try to split the damage of your dashes between them evenly, so you can take both out roughly at the same time, then focus on the Cyclops Enforcer. Once that one's done, grab the remaining peons and then
Triangle18x18.png
for the quickest kill on them. This one's always going to be close, and it took me a few dozen attempts.

--
Stoned is both frustrating and fun. Not as difficult as Bare Hands, IMO. A few tricks can make it easier:

1. Grab the wandering souls for health boosts, as you will need them.
2. Grab Medusas to immediately bait them into using the stone gaze, rather than their physical attacks.
3. Stay on the ground at all times.
4. To speed up the process of being turned to stone, hit
L_1.png
to block, and when the button prompt comes up, hit the WRONG button to be instantly changed, and start shaking to break out of it.
5. When you get too crowded, use
L_1.png
to block a Medusa's gaze and hit the CORRECT button to petrify everything immediately around you, and crush everything nearby (specifically, Satyrs and Cyclops Enforcers, as well as Medusas. Harpies will typically fall to the ground and smash on their own).

Good luck.

Sound like you have some good tips there. I'll be sure and make good use of them, so thanks.

I'm currently going through the game on Titan mode. So far I think I'm enjoying it a lot more the second time... This game is definitely meant to be re-played.

Come to think of it, I liked I and II a lot more on the second playthrough too. Really awesome stuff.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to pass the rumble in The Labyrinth after you rescued Pandora from the glass tank puzzle? I thought I finally caught a breather and went to the push/pull the lever, but nothing happened and went right back to the seemingly endless fighting.

Edit: Never mind, I got through it after switching up my strategy using mainly the Blades of Exile and ramming all the Sirens, Wraiths, and Minotaurs. Surprisingly easy, too, but now I'm up to Zeus and I can knock him into the wall during the first QTE, but afterward, it's all downhill from there.

Last edited:

HeartlessNinny

Can anyone give me any pointers as to how to pass the rumble in The Labyrinth after you rescued Pandora from the glass tank puzzle? I thought I finally caught a breather and went to the push/pull the lever, but nothing happened and went right back to the seemingly endless fighting.

Edit: Never mind, I got through it after switching up my strategy using mainly the Blades of Exile and ramming all the Sirens, Wraiths, and Minotaurs. Surprisingly easy, too, but now I'm up to Zeus and I can knock him into the wall during the first QTE, but afterward, it's all downhill from there.

I just did that part earlier tonight on Titan. That was a fun fight. I used the Nemean Cestus, myself. That weapon is good for clearing out crowds.

Here's a tip for the second Zeus fight, by the way: don't let him heal after the first time. You'll know what that means when you get there.

As for the first fight, I recommend the Blades of Exile. Get good at parrying his combo, and when he's in the air shooting lightning, either grab him with L1+O, or shoot him with Apollo's bow. From there it just takes practice.

Anyway. I managed to get the platinum trophy tonight. Man, those challenges were frustrating as fuck. Most of them are fairly easy, but Get Stoned, Ole (sorry Deuce, your tip didn't work for me) and Bare Hands were all pretty irritating, especially Bare Hands. That one is 95% luck, I swear.

Ah well. It's done now.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
Man I tried to play the God of War III PS3 demo and i can't handle the controls because of my damn disease and condition sucks and my hands and fingers are pretty messed up like tight tendons and almost like a fist. To many buttons to press and no dpad support which is alot easier for me.

Just an example: Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Resurrection for the PS2 it had a control configuration and it let me use the dpad for movement, right analog stick for aiming/looking around and I was able to reach all of the buttons with ease. All games need to let make your own configuration setup. PSP needs all GoW games. :p

Does God of War 1&2 use the dpad?

No part 3 for me. :oh_no::(

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I believe God Of War Collection is also analog specific, but for your sake I'd love to be wrong about this.

I'm sorry to hear about your condition getting in the way of a great game series, but the unfortunate truth may be that you won't be able to enjoy playing God Of War.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I just did that part earlier tonight on Titan. That was a fun fight. I used the Nemean Cestus, myself. That weapon is good for clearing out crowds.

Here's a tip for the second Zeus fight, by the way: don't let him heal after the first time. You'll know what that means when you get there.

As for the first fight, I recommend the Blades of Exile. Get good at parrying his combo, and when he's in the air shooting lightning, either grab him with L1+O, or shoot him with Apollo's bow. From there it just takes practice.

Anyway. I managed to get the platinum trophy tonight. Man, those challenges were frustrating as fuck. Most of them are fairly easy, but Get Stoned, Ole (sorry Deuce, your tip didn't work for me) and Bare Hands were all pretty irritating, especially Bare Hands. That one is 95% luck, I swear.

Ah well. It's done now.

Switched up the strategy again w/using the Nemean Cestus and made it through the fight inside Gaia and I saw exactly what you mentioned and after several tries, I got through that and beat the game. I was getting worried about how red the screen was turning for I didn't know when to stop hitting Circle, but after 15 min., I decided to stop and wouldn't you know it, it ends w/one last QTE.

After that, I went through some of the Challenges and I'll see what I can get before returning it tomorrow, but I wish you could go through the game again w/everything, but oh well.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Spent a good chunk of last night playing God Of War Collection.

God Of War, first game, on god mode.

Fuck that whole 'protect Kratos' family' thing on that difficulty. That is the now the mos stupid hard thing I've ever done in a game. Harder than anything else I've ever done in a video game. It's usurped that throne from whatever had it beforehand.

At first I was like 'what, no trophy?' and then I realized that putting a trophy on that ridiculous bullshit would be patently unfair.

Wow.

HeartlessNinny

Spent a good chunk of last night playing God Of War Collection.

God Of War, first game, on god mode.

Fuck that whole 'protect Kratos' family' thing on that difficulty. That is the now the mos stupid hard thing I've ever done in a game. Harder than anything else I've ever done in a video game. It's usurped that throne from whatever had it beforehand.

At first I was like 'what, no trophy?' and then I realized that putting a trophy on that ridiculous bullshit would be patently unfair.

Wow.

Wow, that would be rough. That's tougher than anything I've ever done, GoW-wise. Kudos.