How long have you been playing videogames?

How long have you been gaming?

• Less than 3 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-6 years

• 6-10 years

• Total voters

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
I'm just curious to see how long some of you have been playing videogames for; I think this board in particular will yield a relatively narrow sample of responses. If there is a period of time that you did not play games and then started again, count that as "playing games". I'm more or less curious to know how long its been since you picked up a controller for the very first time.

Mithos

Zero's Tailor
I vividly remember playing games since I was like 3-4. So it's been at least 20 years for me.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
15 years roughly, gotta say that my interest has waned in the last 2-3 years or so.

For some reason I have zero interest in the current gen games. Weird, since I was all over the ps2 and the game cube when they were released.

Go figure.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
15 years roughly, gotta say that my interest has waned in the last 2-3 years or so.

For some reason I have zero interest in the current gen games. Weird, since I was all over the ps2 and the game cube when they were released.

Go figure.

Quoted for mother fucking truth!!! This is exactly how I feel!

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
When I was about 2 I used to play a good bit of Atari 2600 at my Grandparents house. On Christmas of '85, a month before my third birthday, my brother and I got our first NES. I've been a pretty obsessed gamer ever since.

So yeah, I've been gaming for about 24 years. Out of all the years I've been gaming, I think the mid '90s was probably the most exciting period. So many systems, new forms of media, and the imagination companies used made that a great time to be a gamer.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I was born in '84, and I can remember playing The Legend of Zelda when my brothers got it in '87. My first experience with video games was pressing the B button repeatedly and being mesmerized by Link dropping bomb after bomb.

So I guess I started at the age of 3, which makes me a 22 year video game veteran now.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I was born in '84, and I can remember playing The Legend of Zelda when my brothers got it in '87. My first experience with video games was pressing the B button repeatedly and being mesmerized by Link dropping bomb after bomb.

So I guess I started at the age of 3, which makes me a 22 year video game veteran now.

Similar for me - born in '84 and the first game I remember playing is the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combo.

I started in the NES era, enjoyed gaming as a bigger kid with the SNES, and fell in love with gaming via the combination of Diehard GameFan Magazine + the Sega Saturn.

I wouldn't say i've playing games since I was 3, as I don't know the first time I played an NES, but it's definitely 15+ years, with a serious interest in games occuring within the last 14/15 or so years.

I think games just keep getting better.

As followup poll Buro, why not make a poll to see how old to see how old everyone is, though certainly we'll get some of that information out of this thread.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
First game console was the Sega Master System.

Got it when I was 6.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I think anyone on this site is going to have at least 10 years under their belt.

My earliest memories were playing games in pizza parlors like Super Pac-Man, Donkey Kong and Vanguard. I'm 33 years old now.

I still play when I can, and I will always play on many different types of formats. Retro, next-gen, iPod... wherever and whenever.

I have no recollection of ever taking a huge sabbatical from gaming. Even now, with life catching up to me and I have less time to play games, I play some sort of game at least 2 times a week... if not, more.

I will most likely die a gamer; it's just in my blood.

I am just fortunate I lived during the golden ages of arcade gaming, when you had awesome arcades around town, many classic, innovative games came out and there were arcade cabs in most convenience stores. If I have children who become gamers, I would not hesitate to tell them about the "good ol' days".

I was also fortunate to experience game centers here in Japan, and I was there when Street Fighter IV had loketests in places like Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo. I have lived a dream that few people could live, and I realize that... I really am lucky.

Last edited:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Twenty-five...going on twenty-six years as a videogame lover now.

I started playing Atari 2600 when I was five.

Last edited:

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
My first system was an Atari 2600 my sister gave me when she went off to college. I then got a Nintendo on Christmas of '87. Years later, I got a Sega Genesis and Game Boy for Christmas. I then got a Super Nintendo. Once I reached junior high, and then started high school, I quit console gaming and jumped on the PC gaming bandwagon. You were in the cool kid in school if you have a PC with Doom II, Wolfenstein 3D, Warcraft 2, Quake 2, MechWarrior, Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, and the LucasArts games. I then later got back into the arcade scene and was heavy into Sega, so I got a Saturn that Christmas. Little did I know at the time, that the Saturn was about to die a quick death. A few days later, I traded it for a N64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I don't know how, but somehow at this point, I had no idea or concept of Playstation. It wasn't until my birthday my junior year of high school that I learned about this cool looking game coming out called Final Fantasy VII. I got a PS and FF7 that year for my birthday, and have been a hardcore gamer, and have owned at least once, every console that has come out since.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
My earliest vg experiences date back to the 70s when I was five or six years old and used to play stuff like Space Race or Gun Fight at a mall my parents and me used to go to on our weekly shopping tour.

My first console was a Pong variant ("Universum Pong"). Had to skip the 2600 because my parents did not want to buy me one so I played the games at my friends' Atari instead. Then a Commodore C64 entered our house and from then on I discovered the joys of 8bit micros and games... those were the best days of my life, gaming-wise.

Then there was the Master System, Amiga, Mega Drive, etc.

So... I've been playing videogames for more than 30 years.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I remember playing Bump N Jump when I was three back in 1983. My father helped me with the controls while I played. The same went for a cockpit cab Pole Position (feet couldn't reach the pedals). As for console gaming, I think I played Combat around the same time.

I wish I still had the photos from back then (the end of Asbury Park's arcade era).

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
A very long time. Pretty much since the things existed really. I'm 36 now, and basically started out with Space Invaders or maybe even Pong.

My actual first memory of playing a videogame is a bit hazy, but I think it all started when my dad and I stopped off at a service area during a long drive somewhere. They had what we now know as a an arcade cab. I'm pretty sure that was Space Invaders. I had never seen anything like it before, and even though I was very young at the time, was completely mesmerised by it.

I think that was the start of it all. I think I had some more exposure to them than a lot of other kids did. Arcades didn't exist back then of course, but I used to get taken to France a lot, and they always had videogames on the ferry. They were popular in French cafes too.

A bit further down the line I remember playing the likes of Phoenix and so on. I remember this one time I came across a Phoenix cab somewhere that the coin slot was screwed up, and it kept giving free credits. Luckily there were very few people around and I basically just played for free, pretending to put money in when I lost. Of course, I didn't have the actual money to put in it. That was my idea of heaven at the time. It was awesome. I couldn't have imagined anything better than that....

I digress...

I'm guessing 1979.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Don't want to derail the thread or anything, but specifically what 'videogames' existed before Space Invaders? Anyone got a history of those early games?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Don't want to derail the thread or anything, but specifically what 'videogames' existed before Space Invaders? Anyone got a history of those early games?

Super-short version:

Lots of shooting games like Gun Fight I mentioned in my post (came out in 1975), Pong and thousands of variants, racers (mostly b/w with colored plastic overlays and steering wheel), sports games, war games (submarine games with periscopes used to be very popular back then), etc. When Space Invaders hit the arcades, the first big wave of videogame excitement was already waning again, people flocked back to pinball machines in droves, then it clicked and vg became the big thing until the early 80s when the market was oversaturated and the increasing power and thus market share of home consoles led to the big video game crash of 1984.

Video games left childhood in the late 70s and lost their virginity in 1984... from then on, the focus started to shift from arcades to home computing/entertainment, then the internet revolution also hit the video game market (or vice versa) and there we are now.

:)

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I was born in 1974, and I have vague memories of being excited when I first saw Space Invaders in arcades. We also had an Atari 2600. So, over thirty years. Almost as long as it's been a real industry.

got an atari 2600 when I was 4 and shortly after a NES.

Still have it all and I still play the NES regularly.

I need to AV mod the atari, hooking it up on RF takes too much work.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
Twenty-five...going on twenty-six years as a videogame lover now.

I started playing Atari 2600 when I was five.

Ditto. We had an Atari VCS in the house starting around 1980. I picked up the controller around age 5 in 1981. Been gaming ever since. So I guess that makes me a gamer for 28 years now.

black_wizardd

Nom-nom-nom 1975, ,
15+ years...

One of my earliest gaming memories is of playing an International Karate clone on a BBC Micro, can't remember what age I was though.

Anyway, my first real games machine was a 128K ZX Spectrum that I got at the age of 8 or thereabouts, and I've been a gamer ever since.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Way more then 15 years.Parents had Pong...
...Started on Atari 2600/Telstar Arcade

Taking breaks from gaming when too busy with Girfriends or ....Racing Motocross/Bikes..traveling.

Most all my Girlfriend liked games/played or was into the current sport I was into..

I had this one Chic who hated games but liked to...@@...alot.....So the..@@....Won over the game playing for awhile..I remember the times as it was when 007 Goldeneye came out/N64.....(my friends were gamers.relatives etc..her brothers were gamers)

She'd come over my place and see all my gaming stuff and hated it..,wanted me to sell it all..
I'd poke play the game when not with her,but she hated games so much that she'd call me and say"your not playing the FN game right",Get rid of that shit..........,controller in my hand.:p

then as she was around more and more I put everything away to make her ass happy..

.That had to be the longest I'd hadn't played..that.@@ .can really get a hold of you..

smuf

Vice's Love Slave
15 Year Member
Since I was 5 or so, possibly younger. I'm 21 now, so that's well over 15 years.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Women come and go. Never let someone else keep you from your hobbies.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
I have foggy memories of playing arcade games when I was very little. We got the Mario/Duck Hunt/Track Meet NES bundle with the running pad and light gun for christmas whenever that came out. So since 1988/89 at least.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Grew up in arcades in the 70s. I remember football with the trackball. I remember when Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-Man and Donkey Kong all hit. There was a mall with a great arcade within walking distance, and an even closer pizza parlor that had a DK machine, a DK Jr. machine and a Pac-Man cocktail cabinet just on the corner.

There were also a couple of mini-golf scenes in my area (Haunted Trails, Putt-Putt) that were constantly getting in really cool games before anyone else, such as Jungle King (before they changed the character from a Tarzan clone into a great white hunter), Reactor, Ghosts n Goblins, Zaxxon, Xevious, Q-bert and Mr. Do. So in my area, there was a thriving arcade scene that kept my interest level high.

I remember how massive Tron was in arcades, and how misunderstood the movie was by so many of those same people playing it.

I didn't own a home console of my own until later in the 2600's life cycle because my folks didn't have a ton of cash back then. But they eventually broke down and bought me one due to my incessant begging. They got me the console and Maze Craze and gave me their portable TV/Radio combo. I had to play Maze Craze on a screen no bigger than a desktop calendar in black and white. Eventually, I got a 9" black and white as a hand me down when my older sister got a color tv or her own. I don't know that I EVER got to play my own 2600 on a color tv, but I had the biggest game library of anyone I knew and brought my games over to their houses frequently.

Never owned an Intellivision because I only really liked the first Dungeons and Dragons game for it.

Never owned a Colecovision because I couldn't convince my folks to drop cash on it after how long I begged for a 2600. I don't see it as any great loss.

never owned an Oddysey 2 even though I DESPERATELY wanted one for Quest For The Rings. I still lament never being able to play that game.

In the mid/late eighties, I got into the massive Commodore 64 scene, and I will tell you that computer was one of the best gaming consoles I ever owned. I remember all the 'hacking' parties I attended where we all brought our rigs and traded games with one another. I had nearly 1000 games for my C-64 at the end of it all, and more than a few of them were damn good. This was when I really got into RPGs, due to Ultima. I started to drift away from the console scene around this time. To be honest, I'd love to find a SIMPLE emulator that runs those games now, as most of my hardware for the C-64 doesn't work anymore and those discs are all probably rotted out.

I'd pretty much stopped going to arcades altogether, and my 2600 was so outdated due to my C-64 being such a good game machine. Then Ninja Gaiden came out for the NES. That was the game that absolutley convinced me I had to own a console again, so I took my tax return as soon as I got it and bought the NES and Ninja Gaiden. My interest in consoles has remained high ever since, and the Commodore scene sort of withered away at around the same time.

I even returned to the arcade scene when Street Fighter II came out, but we all know what's happened to arcades since those glorious days.

Good times.

Good thread.