How often do people get your name wrong?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im of italian decent. 2 m's and 2 c's in a row.

pronounced and said wrong all the time.

could be worse- my grandmothers maiden name has 4 vowels in a row.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
31082014-ritratto%2Bdaino.jpg

I don't even try.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
My last name is a little unusual. People always think it's MØLLER, though that's clearly not what I'm saying, ever.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have a very standard first name and I have a very standard American accent, but people get my name wrong all the time. To the point where I respond to anything one syllable long that starts with an M. Even my dad mistakenly calls me Mike all the time. When someone asks my name, I spell it out for them now. All four letters. This seems to work.

Phades

New Challenger
My son's name is Eli and people often say Ellie.... Because they're idiots.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The story of my life. My first name is "Daniele" and is pronounced like the English girl's name "Danielle". My name is French though and the pronunciation is unisex in the French language. Since I live in a predominantly English speaking community and am a male my mother added an "e" on the end so people would pronounce it right. However upon seeing me people always try to give it the english pronunciation of "Daniel". Or if they don't know I'm a male they take it upon themselves to add an extra "l". It's so fucking annoying especially when I get award plaques cuz it's always spelled wrong.

My wife, step-son and daughter all have name problems as well. We're a family of annoyed people.
If it bothers you and your wife, why would you give your children names that would cause the same problems for them?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Haha, well no...not really
But my wife is...sort of

:)

Afghan ? Tajik ? I just realized it's a Muslim name so you could be from any other country with Muslims lol :)

im of italian decent. 2 m's and 2 c's in a row.

pronounced and said wrong all the time.

could be worse- my grandmothers maiden name has 4 vowels in a row.

I took an Italian class a year ago. I love how the language is written the way its said and they cut out useless letters, unlike French which has silent letters and too many variations of the same sound.

What always messes me up though is "cc" in Italian is like "ch" in French, but "ch" in Italian is like "k" in French.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
My last name is Caldwell which I would assume is super straight forward, and I've heard:

Codwell
Coldwell
Cladwell
Chadwell

and some geniuses in college called me "Caldwert" b/c our college used part of your last name and first and middle initials at the end for your email. So some people went 5 or 6 years (yes I was in college that long) calling me the wrong last name.

And Kiel, you'll always be "keel" to me because we had Kiel Auditorium and still have Kiel Opera House here in St. Louis, so good thing you don't live here.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
They don't mispronounce my first name, but they seem to have a hard time spelling it correctly.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
My name is Shayne, so naturally no one ever spells it with the 'y', even when I spell it out or write it down for them, which is supremely annoying. Worse still is, after being asked for my name, more often than not I'm immediately called 'Shawn'; I've never understood how people can get it wrong immediately after I've told them.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Italian Surname, ppl fuck it up all the time.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
My legal first name is Vicente, which ALWAYS gets misspelled Vincente, or some derivation thereof. So around high school, I got tired of the bullshit and shortened it to Vince. Since then I've been called (mostly over the phone), Ben, Spitz, Fitz, Vic, and a few others. Over time, I just accepted the fact that people are idiots who don't really give a fuck about anyone else's name but their own.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My name is Jordan, and apparently that's a hard name to remember so when people forget they call me Jared or Jason. I've learned to respond to all of them.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
If it bothers you and your wife, why would you give your children names that would cause the same problems for them?

Because I'm not going to dumb my life down for others. It's time for people to just stop being stupid and just listen to what people say the first time. Half the time it's people arguing or telling us how to say our names as if we don't know.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
We all meet far too many people far too often for it to be worth taking the time to remember everyone we bump into's name. I usually wait until I've dealt with someone a good dozen times before I think to myself ok I'm going to be interacting with this person a lot, better take it on board. And that's with your average 'Ben' kind of name.

So if your name is Persimmonius Contampicus and you've met someone for 9 seconds at the watercooler it's not worth getting annoyed if the second time you meet him he calls you Persimmillius.

Try it - think of a few of your favourite films, put them into IMDB and be amazed at how many of the characters you had no idea what they were called.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
It's time for people to just stop being stupid and just listen to what people say the first time.

Yeah I agree with this.

I had a job where on my first day my boss told me "you can ask me any question, but you can never ask me the same question twice". At first I thought he was an a-hole...but he was right, he was trying to make sure I was paying attention when he was talking. Listening is a skill - an important one.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
My name is Greg but sometimes I get called Craig.

My last name gets messed up (Nye). It's pronounced "Neigh" like a horse. My Dad gets mail addressed to "Bye"

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
My name is Evan. People can never get it right. Spanish people call me Evens/Kevens, black people call me edwin or errin, white people call me Kevin or Eric. Like wtf it's not a weird or uncommon name

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Once in my life I started a new school for a year and for some unexplanable reason did all teachers get my name wrong...and my name is Tommy for god sake, its not that hard.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Getting names right is harder than it seems. I work retail and whenever I have a return I have to type in the name, which sometimes I find out afterwords (by looking at the signature) I typed it wrong- the thing being people do not bother to tell me their name is spelled different than the standard. I always feel bad, but I feel they should tell me. Of course I am a millennial, so maybe I am just dumb?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I took an Italian class a year ago. I love how the language is written the way its said and they cut out useless letters, unlike French which has silent letters and too many variations of the same sound.

What always messes me up though is "cc" in Italian is like "ch" in French, but "ch" in Italian is like "k" in French.

this will throw you for a loop then. my double c makes a 'k' sound and not a 'ch'.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
this will throw you for a loop then. my double c makes a 'k' sound and not a 'ch'.

Then that must mean the letter after the CC must be either an a, o, or u since i and e force the ch sound, same with the letter G that makes Giovani be a Jii sound and Gavino be a Ga.

Io piace la lingua di dante :)