I have a sprawling retro collection and that includes a neo and 5 games

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I cried at the end of Toy Story 3 when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie. What a class act, that Andy. He reminds me of LoneSage.
He will regret it in ten years time and then start hoarding all the woody variants mint on card !

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Strictly speaking, if you're a collectard, a shelf-queen etc, do you need the actual hardware?

I mean, you aren't going to play the games... hell, you probably don't even know how to play the games... but, it looks pretty on your shelf, and gives you a sense of self-worth and betterment over other individuals who cannot afford to buy what you have, even though they would actually use those games for what their makers intended them to be for - games.

"Hi, I have a sprawling collections of retro games. No hardware. Suck my wallet."
People who want shelf queen items are just looking to stroke their dick because no one else will.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Strictly speaking, if you're a collectard, a shelf-queen etc, do you need the actual hardware?

I mean, you aren't going to play the games... hell, you probably don't even know how to play the games... but, it looks pretty on your shelf, and gives you a sense of self-worth and betterment over other individuals who cannot afford to buy what you have, even though they would actually use those games for what their makers intended them to be for - games.

"Hi, I have a sprawling collections of retro games. No hardware. Suck my wallet."
everyone who collects videogames pathologically needs the console there to have a plausible excuse for it.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
everyone who collects videogames pathologically needs the console there to have a plausible excuse for it.

Are you sure about that? I'm not... like people who collect LDs but have no player to play them - "cuz I like the pwetty pictures on the sleeve... dur yuh"

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Nah - If you're a million dollar investor who purchased a "Wata graded" copy of SMB for $250,000, you don't need an NES to justify your purchase - unless it's also sealed and graded. :sneaky:

Are you sure about that? I'm not... like people who collect LDs but have no player to play them - "cuz I like the pwetty pictures on the sleeve... dur yuh"
Hummm - What I run into most are "brand addicts." People who are not part of the speculative (shelf-queen) market but have become addicted to a brand or concept and need all of the things in that brand category simply because of the brand association. They often have/play consoles but know fuck-all about the majority of their collections and/or they'll own 20 copies of a single game.

Like, people that own an SNK original copy of, say, KOF 97 on AES/MVS but also have every single fucking port of that game across the last 25 years. Yet they've played maybe ~5 hours of it over the last 25 years and recommend the PS1 version because "it's better than you think." 🤷‍♂️

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Until HDMI rocked up it was (probably) the best AV connection to use to get the best picture out of any videogame console (that supported RGB scart) or AV device (VCR / DVD / LD).

For some odd reason Scart was never really supported in NA... don't know why.
But they had to live with 50Hz PAL.
We had glorious 60Hz NTSC.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

For video in general (TV, VHS, etc) this didn’t matter but in the days of 16-bit video games, when all good games came from NTSC developers and were often slowed down to sync with PAL…seriously…the upgrade to RGB will never ever be worth it if the entire game plays at the wrong speed.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
European 90s CRTs play PAL and NTSC via composite but we only play via glorious RGB anyway. No one uses front composite here.

mic.gif

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
That is a misconception. Most TV's here are 60 hz capable and RGB uses neither PAL or NTSC it is RGB.
Mega Drive were super easily modded and for a lot of other systems it was actually cheaper to buy import copies from the USA or Japan then local copies.
Starting from GC/DC generation a lot of games could be booted in 60hz from the get go.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
What you describe still seems like very much an inferior scene to US or Japan. If you have to import everything or mod your console to get what everyone else has you’re in the ghetto.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
That is a misconception. Most TV's here are 60 hz capable and RGB uses neither PAL or NTSC it is RGB.
Mega Drive were super easily modded and for a lot of other systems it was actually cheaper to buy import copies from the USA or Japan then local copies.
Starting from GC/DC generation a lot of games could be booted in 60hz from the get go.
False info you fake fagit

Johnny16Bit

Camel Slug
If you have to import everything or mod your console to get what everyone else has you’re in the ghetto.

Could be worse! I've heard that in some really backward places in the world they actually imported (and paid for) composite-only TVs & consoles, celebrated S-Video as +0p 3l33+, and didn't even see what was wrong about any of it. Some of them even bragged about it.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
All regions just did the best with what they had... no region had tv standards setup for games - just electrical and broadcast concerns. Scart had more to do with cctv than it did gaming... ironically, bit like with editting, nearly all semi serious cctv equipment ended up being for svideo...

The pal-scart combo was a boon when you could get both cheap old games (import/domestic and arcade sell offs) and cheap crts. But pre 95 and post 2010(?) it was/remained more of an obstacle. And although clued up enthusiasts would be buying proper scart cables, 90-95% of people were just playing on the provided composite cables (+/- the included scart adapter).

And of course there would be idiots everywhere - still hooking up their ps3/360 to the scart socket on their new lcd/plasma...

Fatal fury 3... I really wanted it to be a breakout game at the time... Still want it to be real bout. But it's not.

I think small collections are fine if you actually like the games you have ... but yeah that's not the problem - it's the facebook-youtube-wikipedia-experts.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
What you describe still seems like very much an inferior scene to US or Japan. If you have to import everything or mod your console to get what everyone else has you’re in the ghetto.
How the fuck would you know prosecco baggins? Go wash your crt in a sleeping bag, it needs a degaussing.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
How the fuck would you know prosecco baggins? Go wash your crt in a sleeping bag, it needs a degaussing.
Haven't you heard, he's an expert on literally everything. And he's always right.

Just ask him.