I Want to Go Live in a Remote Location

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Part of leaving is going far, far away from where I am.

I really don't want to just drive downstate.

I just want to go, man, go.

I have traveled for work >50% for the last 15 years. Everything is the same shit, different place.... unless you are doing something very very regional. If you need it to feel different in your mind, then have at it. The US is pretty homogenized despite the media representation.
IMO:
-Arizona has the best weather. Snow and Beach within 3 hour drive.
-Austin has the best city, but property is now shit. It's getting overcrowded
-Houses? You can absolutely get a giant house in texas for the least money. The state is giant.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
There was a TV show called Win the Wilderness on BBC a while back, I didn't see it but my other half enjoyed it. It's about a guy who trekked into the Alaskan wilderness in the '80s and stayed there, built his own house and claimed the land and has been there ever since.

This show is about 6 families competing to take ownership of the house and while that doesn't interest me much she did say a large chunk of the show is telling the story of the guy who went out there, what he faced, what's good and bad about it. Sounds relevant if you're interested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dt9g

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...view-someone-will-get-eaten-alive-here-surely

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I guess I'm the only one here for whom warning bells go off at the combination of

-preoccupation with Robert E Howard

-an ailing mother

-antisocial feelings

I hope this doesn't end in tragedy.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I guess I'm the only one here for whom warning bells go off at the combination of

-preoccupation with Robert E Howard

-an ailing mother

-antisocial feelings

I hope this doesn't end in tragedy.

Argh, yeah I didn't want to put it out there but that immediately came to mind.

Taiso it sounds to me like you're tired of living. I think HDRchamp said it, you need to take a vacation and get out of a rut. From what you wrote, I think you would love Mongolia. Grasslands everywhere, nomads who live off the land, the brightest night sky you'll ever see, etc. I think you would feel enthralled there for a few weeks, it's relatively inexpensive to get a hostel and have them get you a driver, supplies and take you to live with real nomadic families in yurts, go horse riding, have your adventure. Just my 2 cents.

At the very least maybe it's time to change the way you live, try new experiences, maybe get a motorcycle. We want the best for you bro, I know it's rough caring for your mom, but you can't leave society.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Come to Australia! We have an abundance of nothing in the outback and a deserted coastline that stretches for thousands of miles. Excellent climate variety and locals who speak funny. Am I selling this?

images.png

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The words are kind and you're not wrong to suggest I need a real break from my mom. I went through this with my dad as well. Watching both of my parents fall apart is rough.

But trust me when I tell you there is a lot more than that driving my decision.

I'm not tired of living. I'm just tired of living around people. And I mean just that. LIVING around people. I am aware I cannot completely survive without necessary interaction. But the charade of congeniality and community are just things I don't need at this stage in my life. Listening to people whinge on about shit I don't care about just because I accidentally crossed paths with them is a waste of what time (whatever that is) remains to me.

It's cool. I'll do a gathering at my new home. Everyone except Neo Alec is invited.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But the charade of congeniality and community are just things I don't need at this stage in my life. Listening to people whinge on about shit I don't care about just because I accidentally crossed paths with them is a waste of what time (whatever that is) remains to me.

You don't know it, but you'd like it here in China. There is no congeniality, there is no sense of community, it's either 'you're in my family or I don't care about you'. There is no idle chitchat at the check-out in supermarkets, waitresses don't talk to you, no one whines or complains, best of all you don't speak Chinese so whatever they talk about wouldn't matter to you. No one here stresses about politics, at all (they consider it out of their hands, so what's the point in arguing about it? is what it comes down to), and nothing political/angry is posted on social media. You could do your college job for two hours a day and then focus on writing the rest of the time.

Again, just my two cents. A change of pace. Best of luck to you Taiso, it's been a rough year, don't give up.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If you have no children, and no medical problems, and no desire for a career, and no reason to use the Internet, you might consider it. It's not a productive or fulfilling life, though. It's more like a shortcut to your own grave - to bypass all the excitement and productivity, and get straight to the rotting and decay.

Well put.

I'll also add that it's a bitter-saweet romantic idea, which you can consider to follow despite the above objections, but only if you're already artistically successful and not in order to become it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Lones, Mongolia is one of my dream destinations. The plains, but also the capital. I want to go stay there for a good while.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well put.

I'll also add that it's a bitter-saweet romantic idea, which you can consider to follow despite the above objections, but only if you're already artistically successful and not in order to become it.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this and spam's input. Life is as much about being as it is about doing. In both cases the experience is relative to outlook.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Lones, Mongolia is one of my dream destinations. The plains, but also the capital. I want to go stay there for a good while.

No no no...if you ever get the chance, go during Nadaam, the best time to stay in the capital, the people will come out in a parade and wear their ethnic costumes, it's incredible, and there are a few cool places to see in Ulaanbataar, but man, the grasslands. Just nothing but grassland and a few yurts for hundreds of miles. That is the true appeal, the 'nothing' of it all. Seriously, no businesses, no supermarkets, no buildings, just the grassland and that beautiful blue sky. That was heaven for a few days for me. I have so much respect for the nomads still living that life, it's so hard. They literally live off the land, it's amazing. They can't just go to a supermarket and buy stuff because they live a hundred miles from the nearest one.

I think Taiso would really respect that, the people living off the land, no neighbors, NOBODY. Just working every single day to milk the cows, eat the lambs, etc. What a hard, incredible life they live. But you know what they want? They want their children to be educated, to go to The Capital.

Like I said before to RAZO, the grass is always greener.

I hope Taiso can get his vacation. He deserves it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Well put.

You don't find the grail by travelling the well worn roads.

So I dismiss the notion that happiness, of any type, can't be found just because others say it's unlikely.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you're thinking CONUS, New Mexico/Nevada/Arizona are pretty good to be rural without many cities or people around. I know when I was stationed in El Paso, many people would live in New Mexico due to cheaper property taxes and just cross over. I'm sure you can buy a whole lot of land for a lot lot of nothing over there.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Last year, on my birthday, I visited the home of Robert E. Howard in Cross Plains, TX. It was a lifelong dream of mine and something of a pilgrimage.

It was about a 2.5 hour drive from Dallas to Cross Plains, and along the way there were a shit ton of ranches, wide open country and, most importantly, vast stretches of just...nothing.

I loved it.

I've been seriously considering selling my house in IL after my mother passes away (currently her primary caregiver) and my wife completes her PhD (should be at the end of NEXT term). I really love my current job and my coworkers but I am really ready to just fuck off to the middle of nowhere and become a reclusive writer.

I was wondering if anybody had some other recommendations for places where one could live an isolated country life. I liked that part of Texas because it wasn't so far away from Dallas that I couldn't go there if I needed something important but it wasn't so close to anything that I really needed to deal with other people on the regular.

Is anybody here living like this currently or does anybody have any other suggestions of places that might be a good fit? I've been told Arkansas is another place like this.

This isn't some mid-life shit. I've just decided I have no use for living IN society but recognize that sometimes I may need something FROM society.

This is a good post and I've been of the same mind set for a long time. Tho I've always loved the cold weather, I could see myself living in a small town in Alaska. I know the cost of living is really high there but yeah I would be happy living in a small place up there.

Texas has never been comfortable for me.

Marek

Banned
I'm okay. Taking care of an aging mother who is succumbing to dementia is no picnic but I have a lot of support from immediate family.

As for wanting to go to a 'fuck off, world' kind of place, I mean just that. I don't want to interact with anyone IRL unless absolutely necessary.

The world is done with me and I'm done with it. My government betrays me on the daily. The media lies to me on the daily.

Everything I read is fucking Poe's Law made manifest.

I can't laugh. I can't cry. I don't trust anything or anybody anymore. It's all bullshit.

So I want to go somewhere quiet where nobody has to worry about me and I don't have to worry about anyone else.

I'll just write, self publish, see if anybody likes my stuff and breed horses or some shit.

It's probably a form of depression. But there is no more reason or enlightenment anymore. There's just binary rage, fear induced decisions and hypocricy.

It's clear that it isn't going to get better any time soon. So I just want out of the hub.

I want to retire to my mansions of rest. I think I've earned it.

Western Wyoming. Its the best. Just dont be a pussy and get a place with an awesome wood stove, cut down a bunch of trees, buy a snowmobile and cruise around.

Summers out here are the outright stuff of legends, and you can find ways to amuse yourself in the winter easily if you try.

Of course I'll help you out if you really come out this way! Someone has to teach you to fly fish. You want relaxation? Thats the ticket right there.

Cutting down and splitting firewood. Fishing. Riding snowmobiles to the grocery store lol. We got it fucking made out here.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Practical advice: Don't buy land in Arizona before looking up the water usage rules. You don't want to end up in Willcox, digging four hundred feet to pump mud.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Western Wyoming. Its the best. Just dont be a pussy and get a place with an awesome wood stove, cut down a bunch of trees, buy a snowmobile and cruise around.

Summers out here are the outright stuff of legends, and you can find ways to amuse yourself in the winter easily if you try.

Of course I'll help you out if you really come out this way! Someone has to teach you to fly fish. You want relaxation? Thats the ticket right there.

Cutting down and splitting firewood. Fishing. Riding snowmobiles to the grocery store lol. We got it fucking made out here.

All of this speaks to the heart of the matter.

As I struggle to understand why I'm so put off by civilization, it comes at the exact same time as I've begun researching the grail romances and mythologies.

I feel like I've gone astray, given too much of my time to external voices, pundits, corporations, politicians and faux-losophers.

There is no real essence out there. And it's taken a piece of me.

Nietchze's loss of innocence by Death of God (on a philosophical sense).

But like Perceval, who was told you only get one shot at the Grail, I feel like I could buck that trend. Rediscover myself. Strip away the parts of myself that have been tainted by departing the poisoned wellsprings from which I drink.

In essence, reclaim myself.

Sometimes you have to get back to basics, discard the frustrations that led you to this juncture, relearn your own essence.

I'm still in here, somewhere. But resigning myself to a shitty fate isn't the way to unearthing those parts of me I aim to salvage.

A vacation is just a reprieve. I need to live differently. More fundamentally. This will clear the air, help me to see more vividly.

Can a Fisher King become a Perceval? Only one way to find out.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

...This is how I imagine Taiso... going native...

xROTx

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Are you prepared to lose your wife over this? It might come to that.

Its going to be a hard sell to get her to come back from what sounds like an active and stimulating working life for months on end to sit quietly in a field somewhere with a husband who's crying, smashing his face against a typewriter and living off home smoked kippers.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Are you prepared to lose your wife over this? It might come to that.

Its going to be a hard sell to get her to come back from what sounds like an active and stimulating working life for months on end to sit quietly in a field somewhere with a husband who's crying, smashing his face against a typewriter and living off home smoked kippers.

This put a smile on my face.

She has wanted this for a lot longer than I have. I used to talk about living in the city and she would veto it every time. She'd always say 'I'd rather move to a quiet place and travel and work when I need to.'

Smart lady.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You don't find the grail by travelling the well worn roads.

So I dismiss the notion that happiness, of any type, can't be found just because others say it's unlikely.

Maybe it's the other way around, with you and the grail?

So dismiss the notion, that happiness, of any type, didn't found you already, just because you say it's unlikely.

Still, there are some beautiful destinations mentioned in this thread and despite my objections, I wish you whatever you need, to find that happiness, Taiso.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Maybe it's the other way around, with you and the grail?

So dismiss the notion, that happiness, of any type, didn't found you already, just because you say it's unlikely.

Still, there are some beautiful destinations mentioned in this thread and despite my objections, I wish you whatever you need, to find that happiness, Taiso.

If happiness had found me, this thread wouldn't exist.

Thanks for the kind words anyway.