Is there anything worse than buying a game and beating it in a day or 2?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Depends on what kind of game it is. I beat the new batman game over a long weekend and thought it was well worth it. I still have some stuff to do in the game but i dont feel ripped off.

Quality>all

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
Only thing worse was years back when you couldn't play a demo or watch a video of a game and you bought based on magazine screens and articles. You get the new game and with in 10 minutes you realize its awful

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Buying a game (D) and beating it within 1 hour of purchase.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
ummmm... i'm going to go with DEATH?
pull your head out of your ass.

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
how about buying an expensive gaming system when you were 12, and only to find out that you bought a system that has limited games to rent at blockbuster. I'm talking about the Sega Saturn. You had 2 rows of playstation, and i kid you not, a small shelf for sega saturn.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sounds OK to me as long as the game was fun. I'd rather get them over with, otherwise it might go on the shelf never to be played again.

how about buying an expensive gaming system when you were 12, and only to find out that you bought a system that has limited games to rent at blockbuster. I'm talking about the Sega Saturn. You had 2 rows of playstation, and i kid you not, a small shelf for sega saturn.
Sounds like our 3DO shelf was. "Should we rent Who Shot Johnny Rock again?"

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
beating games is something i rarely ever do. so when it happens its usually a combination of accomplishment and disappointment that its over.

im still mad that i finished tales of monkey island chapter 2 in one sitting. gotta wait a month for the next one.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Lots of games on the NES can be beaten in less than an hour, and they weren't any less expensive than today's games.

How did we ever manage back then?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Lots of games on the NES can be beaten in less than an hour, and they weren't any less expensive than today's games.

How did we ever manage back then?
There was more heart in one stage of NES Contra than in the entirety of most games released today. That's how. Same way I justify spending $150 on an old arcade game, versus $50 for a new game that takes 30X as long for one playthrough. I'd rather play an arcade game until I know it inside and out than grind through an average contemporary action game more than once.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Spending nearly $200 on a game and beating it in 30-40mins.

fin

something I´ve been thinking a lot is selling all the 1p games I have completely finished.

I almost never play these games again.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Quality>all

QFT

When Batman was released, a few morons were bitching about how its play length was only ten hours.

But those are the most fun ten hours I've had playing a game of this kind in a LONG time. Hell, you don't even have to know anything about Batman and you can really enjoy this game, although some familiarity with the mythology definitely helps.

Some games just don't need to be very long. I can think of a number of fantastic games that have come out over the past few years that didn't have very long single player campaigns but had expansive, detailed environments, great design, rich gameplay and outstanding aesthetics:

Resident Evil 5
Gears Of War 2
Devil May Cry 4
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Ninja Gaiden 2

Crap, going back I could even point out older series like Onimusha and say those were some damn good games well worth the investment of time to play through them, as 'short' as they were. There are lots of 'long' games I've forgotten about, but short games that I am a dedicated fan of. Resident Evil is my favorite game series of all time and none of those games are very long at all.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Stubbing your middle toe on a door really really hard.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
with gamers nowadays, 10 hours is too short.
bump it up to 20 hours and some will say it's unnecessarily long.
people don't know what they want.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I mean seriously, how long do you want a game 2 be? 8000 hours long. Its just like a watching a movie thats 2 long. After awhile your like c'mon, when is this shit going to end.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
with gamers nowadays, 10 hours is too short.
bump it up to 20 hours and some will say it's unnecessarily long.
people don't know what they want.

the problem is quality and repetition.

a lot of games are just the same thing over and over after about the 6 hour mark.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I haven't beaten a game in months. Proof I'm an aging gamer.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Now if it was not even a day long but I could play through it over and over yeah it's fine but if I get it and there isn't any replay value, then someones getting punched.