Is this really a Neo forum?...are you sure?

aria

Former Moderator
Actually, I would say this thread was more sensible in ...well... Suggestions. But that's because I'm familiar with this website :emb:

Now where was I? Oh yeah... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Nice bleeding heart topic.

The reason why I cuss at joe8 is that his idea of neo geo discussion is an endless slew of "What is the best fighter/shooter/etc..." polls, only saying this since I was used as some kind of an example of this site's hostile nature.

Also, lonesage, I'm not British. On the other hand it's nice to see that other people also notice what a worthless member you are :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
+1

If anything the site serves as a place for like minded people to discuss things other than what originally brought them together.

I'm cool with that.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Actually, I would say this thread was more sensible in ...well... Suggestions. But that's because I'm familiar with this website :emb:

Now where was I? Oh yeah... ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

You just went from condoning it to encouraging it? Are you serious? Wow. After your last reply I was expecting something worthwhile out of you, if someone could do that much it would be you.

So now that this thread has been conveniently moved to suggestions.. Well, I guess there should be an actual suggestion!

I suggest we find Bobak and bring him back.

PS- Can we swing this thread by Creative next? I want to paint a picture. Then, after I've got my artistic urge worked out, maybe we'll move it back to General where it fits best, is seen by a few sets of eyes, and can be discussed more widely?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
+1

If anything the site serves as a place for like minded people to discuss things other than what originally brought them together.

I'm cool with that.

Yup.

Yeah, we don't have as many Neo-related topics (specially Neo gameplay-related ones) here as we used to but that doesn't mean noone would be willing to go a little more in-depth than "what's your fave Neo fighter" or stuff like that (not that I'd mind these polls).

Well... so what, that's the way it is on EVERY long-running bbs I've been to. There comes a time when the focus starts to shift from the original purpose to a more broader approach... ...and preventing that is the most effective way of killing an entire bbs, so to all you guys who think things could be improved with strict moderation and draconic disciplinary actions - forget it. You may get a clean and totally on-topic bbs this way but like Bobak said it would be incredibly boring and one-sided.

And I second metallizer: Want some cool Neo threads? Start one and I'll be right there. IMO actually adding on-topic content is way more effective than complaining about its absence, there still are a lot of untouched Neo-related topics left to talk about.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Well... so what, that's the way it is on EVERY long-running bbs I've been to. There comes a time when the focus starts to shift from the original purpose to a more broader approach... ...and preventing that is the most effective way of killing an entire bbs, so to all you guys who think things could be improved with strict moderation and draconic disciplinary actions - forget it. You may get a clean and totally on-topic bbs this way but like Bobak said it would be incredibly boring and one-sided.

Honestly, I think you've missed some of the original point. ocdspacemonkey does spend a bit too much time talking about how many posts are not Neo Geo related vs. how many are, taking into account the forum as a whole for whatever reason.. I don't agree with him there, that seems normal to me. And you can't moderate that sort of thing, that much is obvious.

My focus is mostly on the bit ocdspacemonkey tossed in at the end of his original post.. The things that could be improved with moderation are the constant spamming/flaming/derailing taking place in threads that are on topic and in the proper forums.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The things that could be improved with moderation are the constant spamming/flaming/derailing taking place in threads that are on topic and in the proper forums.

There's a fine line between opinion and insult. For example, if I post something to the effect of "homecart sac'ing is a sacrilege", some people here would take that as my opinion on conversions while others may feel offended because they love convs. Many people here (including myself) are somewhat opinionated and quite grumpy when it comes to ppls' tastes, well, that's ng.com...

Yeah, some of our older members could be a little more diplomatic when dealing with hot-headed Neo newcomers (weren't we all?) or controversial points of view/opinions but other than that, I personally don't see too many problems here.

Do you or ocdspacemonkey have any particular threads in mind that got derailed beyond recognition without mod intervention? If so, I'd be happy about some links. I check out most new threads that get started here every day but not all of them so I may have missed something.

Last edited:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The boards I don't last at are the ones where all they allow is heavily moderated on-topic discussion.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
The boards I don't last at are the ones where all they allow is heavily moderated on-topic discussion.

Amen, those types of forums are shit holes.

Here's the bottom line: we got a noob who doesn't like the fact that these boards don't quite meet his liking, so he decided to run his mouth and whine like a baby about it.

Here's a tip, dumbass: a lot of the guys around here have been members for the better part of a decade, and know each other about as well as you can in this format. There's only so many times you can argue about what's better, MS2 or MSX, for fuck's sake.

Besides. If you don't like it, no one's got a gun to your head. Either just read General Discussion and whatnot or fuck off already. These boards aren't gonna change because you don't like it. They're this way for a reason... And I for one like it that way.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
lol check out that I'm so hard behind the keyboard post.

I swear so many people just pretend to be an asshole on purpose to live up to some kind of reputation, or make others want them more :emb:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
HEY GUYS HAVE YOU PLAYED THIS GAME CALLED FATAL FURY?

IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME. THERES THIS GUY WITH A VEST AND A HAT AND HES SO COOOL.

ALSO, KING OF FIGHTERS 2003 SUCKS.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
HeartlessNinny (K9999 & Jedah too)
I love these guys... :buttrock:

I can't get that punchy till at least 2pm, an hour on site and 6 beers in.

Totally in (wobbly) parallel with Tak's comments.

ocdspacemonkey

Crossed Swords Squire
Right, think im due another post on the matter

First of all, thanks to all those who have replied in a decent mannor.

Second of all, thanks to those that replied with the hate, you verified my original post and made this thread what it is today.

You see what the "war room spammers" and "post hoar neo haters" dont understand is that just because your a noob to this forum doesnt mean your new to the neo hobby/interest, what they forget is that NEO IS THE HOBBY and the forum/bb is a FACILITY TO THE HOBBY :rolleyes: the neo would still be here if the forum went down in a minutes time.

I mean if the site did go down tommorow would the "war room spammers" and "post hoar neo haters" really persue the neo hobby...:oh_no:

Also, why just because you are new to this forum does that automatically mean that your new to "forums" :scratch: why are people trying to convince me that there spamming is justified on this forum and that for some strange reason stupid spacemonkey cant possibily understand this,

Is Neogeo.com friendship different to te friendship i have on the car forum im a 6000+ poster on? i dont think so........i know the drill so please dont try and condone your "War room drivvel" and "spam" as if its somehow allowable here.

You guys are using this forum as a "CHAT ROOM" nothing more, and the reason your using this site as a "CHAT ROOM" is beyond any so called love of the neo, your just using the neo name in vain to condone mundane sillyness, which is only the result of being fed up/bored with your lifes... never mind being fed/up bored with the neo,.. thats genuine sentiment to, not ment as some low ball insult, i believe this from the bottom of my heart.

In my opinion the "War room spammers" and "Post hoar neo haters" which may i remind you are nine times out of ten "established members" are sending the site to its doom, they are hindering the site so it will never grow past that particular persons perception of the "Neogeo hayday"

As a "War room spammer" pointed out earlier the neo made debut in 1990 and died in 2004 and he stated it wasnt his fault that i didnt join till 2009....
wait a sec, wasnt the neo on the go 9/10 years before this sites forum? didnt this particular "War room spammer" join 5 years after the forum opening?
15years the system had been on the go in exibit 1's case...but just because he's had his hayday and is all neo'd up thats that, knowone else is getting there neo fill..nope not on his watch:lolz: that goes for the rest of you choice members to, not just exibit1;)

See this is where i come back to the neo hobby.. THE FORUM ISNT THE FUCKING HOBBY, the neo had planted its seed in all our heads way before this god damn forum.
These guys are so mis guidded by there commpulsive spamming they actually believe that the neo started when the forum did:oh_no:
but wait...... they arent that stupid..oh no, all this talk of "been done" and been said" is just a means of trying to veryfy there "obscure spam habbits" nothing more.

awaits comments/flames and wait for it..........."Spam"

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
You're taking the internet way too seriously.

ocdspacemonkey

Crossed Swords Squire
You're taking the internet way too seriously.

No not at all, i only post when neccesery, ive got no one to back me up just me to put my point accross, ive had the odd flame and this is my response to those flames.

for someone with high demands for neo content, your contributions at the gameplay topic are dim.

Only 6 posts and 5 of them are spam.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
for someone with high demands for neo content, your contributions at the gameplay topic are dim.

Only 6 posts and 5 of them are spam.

fucking lol :lolz:

Thread won. :vik:

Why don't we have a whiney bitch sub forum, for whiney spaz monkeys? :qcf:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
@ ocdsm... That big retort post ain't right man.

This was not available when I joined the forum
(for future ref & highsight)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

but you starting in the market place (as I did) should mean spending time
in the feedback forum, this is where you see the ties that bind
and more of a preview into not just site working but members
respect of / for and protection of each other.

It's more carts that cars bro and the above extends to all forum points.
If you seek no respect here you reap it.

What do you want to see changed, be specific.
(e) no not banter :crying:

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
As someone has already said, everything about the neo has already been said and debated long ago.

This site was set up to support and discuss the Neo Geo. The last games produced for this system came out in 2004 (I don't count homebrew garbage like Last Hope which is a poor R-Type/Pulstar rip off). Most people don't want to recontribute to threads on topics that were discussed to death long ago. If you've got valid contributions for certain topics, I'm sure the mods would not object to additional posts to long dead discussions, so long as they weren't "spam style bumps". There is a fully functioning "search engine" here y'know.

The stuff SNKP produce now may be continuations of franchises started on Neo Geo but they are not Neo Geo games.

Many members have left because there really isn't anything left to say on the original Neo Geo era of games, and therefore I welcome the diversification the forums have taken. General Discussion has been the busiest forum for years now, and probably will continue to be so; especially if SNKP continue, to arguably, fail to instill the magic many of the Neo Geo games had.

If anyone feels the site lacks "direction" then there are other sites that discuss the Neo Geo and perhaps you would be better off suited there.

There have also been plenty of these types of thread in the past complaining that the site seems to lack "focus". Well, the site doesn't lack focus at all because there is nothing to focus on unless you live in any one of the years 1990 - 2004 (inclusive). I'm sure any future portz and new SNKP releases will get discussed in some form or another, but Neo Geo is a dead format now, just like Dreamcast, PSX, Saturn, N64, Megadrive, SNES etc etc etc. Yet SEGA, Nintendo and Sony continue to release new games, but for NEW formats, just like SNKP are doing.

This site was focused, I know because I was there, back in the day...

If the site had not "evolved" it would be dead now. Like i said, some members have sadly moved on, or post very rarely, because Neo Geo is gone and that's all they came here for. The rest of us stayed for whatever reason... But if you want dedicated Neo Geo discussion enmasse, you are at least five years too late.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Exactly

Tighter moderation and forcing people to stay on topic kills forums. I posted at this music forum, which focused on a certain sub-genre of techno, so it's range was also quite limited, but the site had thrived since 2000 because it had, like this place, diversified.

Then the site's owner comes back after a long Shawn-like hiatus on goes on a power trip, the guy takes down all offtopic, literature, etc... forums and stipulates that you are only allowed to discuss the site's topic and other forms of electronic music.

I talked about some post-rock in some thread and got a "warning pm" from the site owner. I then called him a Nazi faggot, and got a 3-month temp ban. The forum, which used to have hundreds of active members had around 10 + Googlebot last time I checked.

gg no re