Jetsons inspires "Flying Car"

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
http://ralph.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=1079581

I want 2.

A flying car inspired by The Jetsons will soon become a reality after its maker was given a special weight exemption from seppo aviation officials.

Despite being 54kg over the limit, the two-seater Terrafugia Transition has been classified as the smallest private aeroplane and will go into commercial production in the US.

This little beauty can cruise at 185km/h, has a range of 740km, can carry 204kg, and the best thing is that pilots only need 20 hours of flying time to get their wings.
Unfortunately MasterChef's Matt Preston may be forced to fold up the wings and use the front-wheel drive on the road instead due to him probably exceeding the maximum weight.

Once starting the rear-facing propeller, this light sport aircraft needs only 517m to take off from an airport or flat private land and can fit inside a garage.

The flying car is expected to sell for around $233,000 and more than 70 people have already put in their order.

Official site
http://www.terrafugia.com/

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'd say a good majority of drivers are barely qualified to operate a regular car, I don't want them to be airborne too.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I like the idea, but I'd worry about the safety of it. Anything that has to fold up like that will have stress/weak points. Add to that the fact that driving the car with the wings up like that will weaken the joints (just from the constant rumble and tumble of the road) increasing the chance of failure. I'm sure you'll do several safety checks before taking off... but, I think I'd be a little nervous driving it around too much if I meant to fly it. OK, practicality out of the way, I really dig the concept and it is always nice to see people try for something a bit above expectations. It's one step closer to the hover car we've been promised since birth. ;)

Oh, and Astro > Dino by like a million greater-than signs.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Oh the ironywill be astounding when the first rich arrogant fuck crashes one of these into Detroit or something.

May have to send in Snake Plisken or something.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If this thing can only carry 204kg, it might as well not have passenger seats.

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
TransitionRoad.jpg
FacebookBadge.png

I foresee that the first generation of flying cars will be overpriced and possibly fault ridden. We'll probably have to wait until the 3rd or 4th revision before one becomes available at an affordable price.

If this takes off however some serious flight rules need to be implemented.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Yeah. Indoor stadiums better have reinforced roofs, because I can foresee drunk fans crashing 'em on the top. XD

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I just want the future to come on time for Back to the Future's deadline of 2015. If 2015 doesn't turn out exactly like it was in the movie, all of its believability is gonna go out the window, and my childhood will have been a lie.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
I really don't know if I'd fancy taking a ride in one of those things :eek:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Flintstones is better overall, but not in the context of a flying car discussion. I once talked to a lady who said she put a million dollars down payment for a flying car 10 years from now. I want to believe her so bad. I've always wanted a car that would fold into a briefcase, flying or not.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Just so everyone knows: This isn't a flying car. Even the company making these said they aren't meant to replace a car, or be used for driving you around town. Their main purpose is to allow you to land at a public airport and then drive it to your house or a hotel or something. It's not meant to be a daily driver. It does have some benefits, though. They say you won't have to pay for hangar fees. You can instead just bring it home to your garage or park it in a parking lot (I'd fear door dings on my wings ;)) You can also use regular unleaded gas in it instead of jet fuel.

Likewise, no new restrictions will have to be made for flight control. You have to have a sport pilot license to own/fly one, so it's basic flight school for you if you want one. These can't take off from a road, they need a runway, heh... and everything will still be done through public airports and etc.

There's more in the FAQ section of their site

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
1. You forgot cargo.

2. How about the 50% that are "above average"?

1. I weigh 150lbs, my fattest friend weighs 200lbs. That still gives me a 100lbs for cargo. I'd also never take that guy anywhere, so I'm sure I'd have much closer to 150lbs for cargo.

2. If you're tall, or above average height then you'll probably not fit in this thing anyway.
2b. If you're a fat ass, you should think about losing weight. It comes off much easier than it goes on and you'll open up a whole world of flying cars.

3. SNK is not pronounced sink.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If this takes off however some serious flight rules need to be implemented.

NASA already has those rules in place, so I heard. I believe it was an NPR bit about flying cars several years ago.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
This has got to open new doors for terrorism, smuggling, etc..

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Pretty nifty little vehicle but I would be kind of scared to pilot or ride in one. Looks like a fly death trap on wheels since it's so small.

Airbags won't help in this thing.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Pretty nifty little vehicle but I would be kind of scared to pilot or ride in one. Looks like a fly death trap on wheels since it's so small.

Airbags won't help in this thing.

The have an optional full parachute for the thing. Probably shouldn't be an option ;)