KoF Producer Leaves SNKP and President Wants to Shut Down Video Game Division

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Pachinko is basically the Japanese way of admitting to being a sperm burping ass-cockling faggot.

I have always thought this way about the Playmore group. They have never been men.
Yeah, it seems every small town has a few pachinko parlors, and it's just Japanese white trash hanging out inside.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
As shitty as SNKP was/is... I'm kinda of in fear of what will happen to the IPs. I mean really, WTF is going to happen?

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
They mentioned they will focus on licensing; and seeing how a couple of their last titles werent actually done by SNKP themselves and rather by side teams (like K2 with Sen, Blue Dragon with that dropped SS RPG, Yuki Enterprise with earlier set of 2D samshos, and before that Eolith with KOF2002), I doubt something changes with them lending a license to side team again

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
SNKP is a mess of a company.

They don't have the resources or even staff to produce great games. Just enjoy the old stuff and polish your gameplay there. All the best stuff that could ever exist already exists. If nothing ever came from them again I'd be okay with what I've been given.

I've wanted a Last Blade 3 for ages..

Thing is.. SNK WAS NEO-GEO. They mastered that platform. They mastered it so well there games still had some function of modern appeal after having been made 14 years later on the same damn hardware.

SNK isn't a company that can just make stuff on random alien hardware, they don't have that staff and muscle companies like Capcom have in spades. They can't even get games out at a speed enough to keep their own economy going. It can only last so long.

I bet ark gets a few ip's and Capcom gets a few in the near future.

I don't like Capcom much anymore either for fighters. As far as I'm concerned, everyone's best days is behind everyone.. If its been years and years and that hasn't changed, there's no reason to invest blind hope.

KOF XIII will probably be ported, and pray it is done by some outside company, because SNKP can't get anything right for netcode.

They need to fix the juggling, that game has MVSC2 tier-itis and corner juggles from hell. Really rotten over sight for such a long term time investment. They even stopped patching the damn game.

They quit to easily and are under staffed to begin with.

BTW, KOF is done in my view. Its over. There is to damn many, and the last worthy title of classic appeal was KOF 2002.

98UM AND 2002UM were good money makers to, but they weren't even new games. I'm sick of KOF, and SNK can't make money off any fighting game other then KOF and SS.. Worse, the last released SS is a write off.

What is the incentive to play KOF XIII where like every character in the game has seemingly easier 100% combo's in the corner? I may as well just play KOF 2002, which is somehow less broken with all its infinite's and other max mode BS, because at least under tiered characters can really stand a chance. SNK's place in the gaming world is a virtual impossibility. None of their franchises have any lastability with all the new innovation, they aren't with the new generation on any level, so there is zero long term profit margin, and worse? They have the worst marketing strategy on the planet. Once asia stops caring about KOF, thats it.

It won't be long either because China aint the poor shithole it used to be, and they may get different series and other things.

Other nations poverty has been a SNK profit margin piggy back. Mexico, Pakistan, China, etc.
There is a reason all the best KOF players in the world are from china. Set ups wouldn't destroy businesses, and really old kof's had long term appeal.. Then ironically, the bootleggers buried SNK, and that's it. You wanna blame anyone, just blame everyone, because we can't force people to care. Only thing people care about now is MVSC3. Capcom OWNS and controls the entire market of fighting games now and in the future. And ONO has a wealth of titles he'll water down in a shitty way to make money.

If MvC3 is an indication, I flat-out hate the direction of Capcom these days.

But I didn't like Capcom's handling of the SNK characters in CvS, either. Shitty character designs and wacky presentation. If SNKP isn't going to use these characters and IPs, I'd just as soon no one did.

I want the XIII port to come out. After that, whatever. They've been playing with my emotions for a decade and I'm having trouble working up the energy to care anymore.

I totally agree.

I barely give a shit. SNK news is a ZZZ factor for me.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Why am I not surprised by this news?

Retrozoa

n00b
Oh well. I've thought of this company as dead since I played Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it kinda felt like one last grand compilation of their series for the fans. Heck, one stage even definitively shows that the King of Monsters series, my favorite SNK games, is permanently done(skeletons of KOM2 characters in background).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Oh well. I've thought of this company as dead since I played Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it kinda felt like one last grand compilation of their series for the fans. Heck, one stage even definitively shows that the King of Monsters series, my favorite SNK games, is permanently done(skeletons of KOM2 characters in background).
Never say never. If anyone is capable of beating those skeletons to dust it's SNKP.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Ha ha! I can see it now:

"What KoF players really want is nostalgia. They want the same feeling they had when they were children playing neo geo."

I really want KOFXIII on my playstation3.

I love it...

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
As shitty as SNKP was/is... I'm kinda of in fear of what will happen to the IPs. I mean really, WTF is going to happen?

Bioware will pickup up Samurai Showdown and make an rpg sequel.

:drool_2:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
What will be done with them? Something hentai, I assume. Games where you can figure out if Mai is a witch. iPhone shite.

Fighters with Terry missing half his moves and Kyo having no purpose...oh wait, that's already been done. :)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
if you really love snk

then you'd know when to let go

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
what will happen to the IPs?

They'll fade into obscurity like any other IP. It's not like they're sentient beings, they're just ideas.

Yao

Quiz Detective
I think the saddest thing ist that SNKP seems to give up (or are forced to do so due to financial reasons) when it seems they finally did something right in years, which is KOF XIII. If it was a bullshit game I could accept this and bury my dreams of another LB or MOTW etc. but like this, with a game that rocks, it just makes me sad.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
if SNK got with the fucking times and quit the Neo around 96 maybe they'd be in better shape today.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'd love for the SNK IPs to move to a company that can handle them.
Moving to capcom and letting shinkiro illustrate for them would be pretty on the side of fantastic.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I think the saddest thing ist that SNKP seems to give up (or are forced to do so due to financial reasons) when it seems they finally did something right in years, which is KOF XIII. If it was a bullshit game I could accept this and bury my dreams of another LB or MOTW etc. but like this, with a game that rocks, it just makes me sad.

I'm curious. How many people here have played this game and where? I'm in the USA and will drive...100+ miles to play the thing, but I have a feeling that in order to do that I'd actually need to travel by plane...probably to some hell hole like Vegas.

Yao

Quiz Detective
I'd love for the SNK IPs to move to a company that can handle them.
Moving to capcom and letting shinkiro illustrate for them would be pretty on the side of fantastic.

Why would Capcom do that? Why spend time and money to bring back to life IPs that weren't originally their's and which would sell much less than any new Street Fighter game they could release. I mean they would make more money with a Super Street Fighter Turbo mega awesome blabla than with another Fatal Fury, KOF etc.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I've been thinking more about this. And not only SNK(P), other favorite developers of mine are either defunct, or changed to the point of being unrecognizable by me.

Playing Fatal Fury 3 today, I was STOKED. have you played it? It *oozes* personality. The intro, the chara select screen, Blue Mary (SD style) riding her moto to P^2 Cafe West after Bob says, "good choice" @ the opponent select screen.

The animation, the music, the Gameplay...so fulfilling.

KOF XII, the most recent 2D product I've played has none of the same stoke for me.

And why would it? FF's creative forces left to form DiMPS. Galapagos Team was last seen on the back of a milk carton.

...and it is not just SNK(P) that has fallen off. The last 2D game I purchased from Capcom?

Bassara X.

AND IT WASN'T EVEN *BY* CAPCOM. We all know ArcSys Programed it, as the folks capable of crafting a 2D 'vs' fighter, DON'T EVEN WORK THERE ANYMORE.

STGs may be a similar story in the coming years...cave went 3D for the DSIIX charas.

The Future Is Now Something That Has Finally Passed Me By.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I think they'd probably do more with a vs series.
But you can mull over the fiscal aspects of whatever for however you'd like guy.
I really don't care.
13 is decent from what I've played.
But I've been content to really not care about anything new coming down the pike since seeing 12.
Everything past 02 has been efforts I guess,
just real boring.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Everything past 02 has been efforts I guess,
just real boring.

Yeah man! This is what I'm getting at. Loss of charm- boring stuff.

Middleware is the freaking auto-tune of the videogame industry.

Example: Shadow Complex may play great, but C'mon man-enough with the Unreal Engine already.

Look at the 3 Art of Fighting games...each one a unique, charming, incrementally improved experience. I just don't get that same vibe from the majority of Modern games, and well...XIII was my last hope for any sort of last hurrah.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i could easily write 8k but..just one thing :

you people don't seem to understand / realize something
something not so trivial
those artists and sprite designers that made kof xi and xii and xii are the last of a kind
even our friend doctor neogeo has been with the company for what ? 10+ years ?
and he was a fan of the neo before becoming part of the company
you simply cannot replace something like that

"omg sell the ip's to capcom !1!!"
it's such a stupid stupid statement for loads of reasons
just a practical one :
the last sprite based versus game from capcom was cfj in 2005
and cfj was basically 98 % rehash
soooo,back in time to cvs 2 in 2001 (2002? too lazy to google it)
10 years ago

capcom is still alive for a number of causes
one of those is that they are making games like sf iv and not kof xiii
games that are 3d,stupid,easy to make,shallow as shit,perfect for 2011
and please don't mention other companies or blazblue
kof sprites are art , blazblue is just like an annoying flash video

in other words,only those people at snk could create kof xiii
if they are gone,there is no kof or gekka or whatever

personally,i have always been a fan of the mvs / neo geo more than an snk fan
so i didn't really care for kof xi even though it was pretty good
i stopped playing kof with 2003

but i still play all those neo geo games like crazy,i am still loving them
probably now more than ever
i am still discovering new stuff,secrets,etc
stuff that probably no one knows (outside japan)

you people say you are sad about this
but this site never was about the games (the gameplay section is a total joke)
so why do you say you care ?
because you played shin samurai spirits in 1994 ?
all you guys do nowadays is just posting in unrelated
might as well leave this site if you have no interest in neo geo games
and don't say you care about snk or kof if you never play the goddam games

and,btw,eikichi kawasaki hasn't been part of the company for a while now
basically the neo and snk died when he left
was he really a boxer anyway ?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If anything like the spirit of the Neo Geo lives on, it probably won't happen with anyone working for SNK (past or present) and certainly not Capcom. If anything it will come from the doujin scene, or if Ark decides to get serious.

The games industry has changed massively since the Geo's heyday, and so have the fans. The 20 year old hardcore arcade going otaku (the one that still exists) wants different stuff now. Usually some Idol Master garbage. The OGs like us have mostly lost our hair and moved to the pachinko parlor. The SNK that hit it big with Fatal Fury Special would only be able to make games people don't want anymore. The games people want...aren't very SNK/Neo Geo.

There are a lot of things from that era that don't exist anymore. Tape traders, fan subbers, vinyl only DJs, a Volkswagon that didn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

Anyone who was into watching movies on laser disc is probably really disappointed that their beautiful LDs, all-out archival grade masterpieces with high prices and glorious packaging, have been replaced with digital downloads that the rights holder can switch off at any time. But guess what, tough shit. If someone actually made LDs today they'd lose their shirt. The money is in the cheap shit now.

Its over. You can sell the "IPs" (barf) but it will still be over, some people just won't be able to tell. Probably the sort of people who still listen to new Metalica releases.