KoF Producer Leaves SNKP and President Wants to Shut Down Video Game Division

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I know it has been foolish to dream...the dream is finally over.
No MOTW 2, no SvC 2, no surprise protos showing up on virtual console.

I was even kinda looking forward to Trouble Witches NEO...

For all of their foul ups, SNKP had some decent moments too. Having already lived thru one 'Aruze' era, I really kept waiting for the Pheonix to rise from the ashes.

I've never understood how with E. Kawasaki at the helm, and many of the OG employees involved how the reboot ended up so bad.

Better download those xbla titles you want before they go the way of Smash TV.

Hide

Banned
Been there, done that.

To those instigating the idea of outsourcing, it'll never be the same again.

I actually kinda like CVS2 and that's about the best thing capcom made with
SNK characters. The return favor from SNK (SVC Chaos) sucked balls. If the original KOF 98 team of developers actually made SVC Chaos and made it to be something worth playing competitively...well i'll stop harping on that. The thought of the music in SVC Chaos makes me want to puke.

However, I still didn't like how the SNK characters played in a capcom styled
mash-up.

Alot of people didn't really understand the fun in neogeo games.
It's all about these big ass sprites and seemingly ALWAYS unbalanced play.

the fun I had with the neo is priceless. They're a class of their own.

I always dig the fact that some games were only gonna be available on the neo.
It makes us exclusive. Face it, you narcissistic and egoistic people. It's the massive carts and exclusiveness/style of games that sucked you in.

However during the later years they all got ported over to various consoles.
It's good for exposure, but not really that great of an idea when you ask for an input from guys like you and me on whether you'd rather preferred that to happen.

We're proud, demands exclusivity, and generally selfish when it comes to mainstream guys being able to enjoy the games that we enjoy and love so much.

If it ain't a massive cart in an mvs/aes, it ain't SNK. Face it people.
SNK died in 2004. Stop bitching and move on.

Face reality. Be pragmatic.

Most of you got interested when you saw the neo's price tag anyway. Since games does not cost sub USD$300 anymore, why bother to expect a $300 game in a dvd or bluray disc. OUR FAVOURITE CONSOLE DIED IN 2004!

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
To be fair they have been creatively bankrupt since the Playmore revival. I'm pretty content with this being the end. SNK is such a pathetic game developer whose legacy of quality titles has been tossed in the mud too many times now.

At this point SNKs greatest accomplishment of the 21st century was the inspiration for Neo-Geo.com

Black Shroud

Mr. Big's Thug
And another one - being able to instigate one of the biggest hentai waves on the net with single SSVI character (additional points for character being done in pixelated sprites deemed lowres at moment of release, but still hitting all the correct fetishes), then surfing on it with their dating sims galore (and pachinkos of course). Now that they produced enough hentai/loli fodder in their character library, they have no real need in producing fighting games anymore. And to avoid the previous Aruze outcome, this time they used mimicry to become Aruze themselves.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I had a big comment typed up, but I erased it. What's the point?

Somebody save these IPs from SNK, please.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
SNKP is broke and has very little resources.

KOF XII was understaffed, and those that were there were working silly hours ... for an incomplete game (which I prefer to play to SF4 nonetheless).

KOF XIII seems to be awesome, but it's unlikely that the port will come out, unless they get some assistance ... or that 'inevitable' Capcom buy out happens.

I think people seem to forget that Playmore was a Pachinko Company that fancied a bit more, so it makes sense for them to withdraw to their core business when the going gets tough.

Problem is though, if they 'temporarily' scale things down, that will be that, and worse they won't want to give up any IP either ... unless silly money is involved.

It's a shame because I really don't like the direction of Capcom these days and feel that snk'P' knows what it's doing with a fighting game.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It's a shame because I really don't like the direction of Capcom these days
If MvC3 is an indication, I flat-out hate the direction of Capcom these days.

But I didn't like Capcom's handling of the SNK characters in CvS, either. Shitty character designs and wacky presentation. If SNKP isn't going to use these characters and IPs, I'd just as soon no one did.

I want the XIII port to come out. After that, whatever. They've been playing with my emotions for a decade and I'm having trouble working up the energy to care anymore.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I love the IPs too much to see them fade into obscurity due to botched business decisions.

I understand why people would be willing to see them sail into the west, but I am not comfortable accepting them going onto the scrap heap of forgotten game memories.

Those characters are, to me, the same as Ryu, Simon Belmont, Solid Snake and Mario. They endure for a reason, and treated properly, they could easily stand proudly beside them as iconic game characters to an entire hobby, as they once did, rather than as the biggest examples of shitty handling this side of Sonic the Hedgehog.

I'll opt for 'new ownership/new management' over death, thanks. They deserve a better fate than this ominous thread is portending, IMHO. They aren't throwaway characters. I'd rather not see them get thrown away.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
They'll have to at least wait until KOF XIII gets released on home consoles. Even if it does fairly well, it may not be enough. For now, I think their game division must be just about broke. KOF XIII may be great, but I don't think the arcade release was a huge financial boon.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I love the IPs too much to see them fade into obscurity due to botched business decisions.
And I love the IPs too much to want to see botched re-envisionings of them by someone else like Capcom.

Reality Check

World Hero
And I love the IPs too much to want to see botched re-envisionings of them by someone else like Capcom.

So you rather let the IP be an obscure memory so a company who actually knows what their doing can't get their hands on it? New management could actually do it some good. Look how well Fallout has been doing since it escaped Interplay

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

I'd argue SNK-P has already done plenty of botched re-envisions of SNK's IPs. SNK-P does not "get" SNK's characters like SNK did. if I had my druthers, SNK-P wouldn't exist and we'd just remember SNK's IP in all the glory it used to have.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Given the penchant that SNKP has shown for releasing and re-releasing every last sprite that has ever been developed using the SNK IP's time and time again, I'd say there is no chance of XIII not being ported. The danger is that they may not be as inclined to develop/support decent netplay and balance the game. Worst case scenario is they take whatever they had at the time the producer bailed, burn it to disc, and cash in.

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
I'm going just cover my hands with my ears, say "Lalala" repeatedly and hope that when everything settles down I'll somehow get a World Heroes 3.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire

Like SNKP did any better with them? I think not. All of the MS games that came after MS3 were never epic anymore. They were just slight adjusts of what MS3 already handed out. I would rather see such franchises like MS, SS, or even KOF go to a company that would bring life back to these properties than to see them die completely.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
My predictions:

KOFXIII port will come out within 2 months or so

It's online netcode will be decent, but not on par with the other major fighting games

Sales will better than KOFXII, but nothing of major significant

There won't be any new releases for a while, but there will be plenty of cheap shit (phone / portable games) as suggested by these rumors

The next game would be another KOF dream match that is going to have multiple versions with incremental improvements

We will be stuck with that for a long long while untill either SNKP decides to make a new 2D Slug / SS, or they decide to pull the plug lol

Last edited:

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

SNK-P's been botching it for years. The worst thing that happens is the same old, same old. The best thing that happens is that the characters become relevant again.

Whether Capcom or somebody else, letting the IPs die is the wrong end result.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Pfft

SNK's been dead since SSVS released.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Pachinko is basically the Japanese way of admitting to being a sperm burping ass-cockling faggot.

I have always thought this way about the Playmore group. They have never been men.