KOF XIII: remove a team member/add a team member

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Simple premise: try to build your dream KOF roster while maintaining the same total number of playable characters in XIII. Remove ONE character from each existing team, and slot in ONE previously-existing KOF character who didn't make the XIII roster.

The restrictions are that you have to remove one character from each team, even if you like all of them, and the replacement must be from a main series KOF game. Nobody from Max Impact or the GBA games or something. And they have to have been playable. Nobody from a background or a 2000 striker.

Also, the characters you remove from one team can't be added to another team.

But the added character doesn't have to be a former member of that team if you don't want.

The teams:
Japan Team: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro

Elisabeth Team: Elisabeth, Duo Lon, Shen

Iori Team: Iori, Vice, Mature

Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Andy, Joe

AOF Team: Ryo, Robert, Takuma

K' Team: K', Maxima, Kula

Ikari Team: Leona, Ralph, Clark

Kim Team: Kim, Hwa, Raiden

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena, Kensou, Chin

Women Team: Mai, King, Yuri

My choices:

Japan Team: remove Kyo and replace with Angel. Yeah, Angel.

Elisabeth Team: Take out Shen and add Shermie

Iori Team: This one is easy. Take out Iori. Replace with Ramon

Fatal Fury Team: Joe is the one I can most stand to lose. Add GEESE

AOF Team: take out Ryo and add Kasumi who plays like her SVC version without the whiffing and other glitches

K' Team: take out K' and add '02 Vanessa (!)

Ikari Team: remove Leona and add Heidern

Kim Team: sucks to do it, but remove Hwa and add Tung.

Psycho Soldier Team: take out Athena and put in Gato

Women Team: tough choice but take out Yuri and replace with Mary

I'd be pretty happy with that line-up.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
There are a lot of terrible choices made in that post.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'd never be happy with a KOF game that removed Kyo, Iori or K' from the roster. They are signature characters for the series. My like/dislike of them is irrelevant. I believe they belong in every game.

If I had to pick who to take out and who to replace them with:

Japan Team: Goro out, Shingo in.

Elisabeth Team: Shen out, Oswald in.

Iori Team: Vice out, Adelheid in.

Fatal Fury Team: Andy out, Mary in.

AOF Team: Takuma out, Eiji in.

K' Team: Kula out, Angel in.

Ikari Team: Leona out, Heidern in.

Kim Team: Kim out, Duck in.

Psycho Soldier Team: Chin out, Xiangfe in.

Women Team: King out, Vanessa in.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
To me the roster is just perfect as it is.

I would like a 4-on-4 team roster though.

Japan Team: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro + Shingo

Elisabeth Team: Elisabeth, Duo Lon, Shen + Adelheid

Iori Team: Iori, Vice, Mature + Yamazaki

Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Andy, Joe + Billy

AOF Team: Ryo, Robert, Takuma + Yuri

K' Team: K', Maxima, Kula + Whip

Ikari Team: Leona, Ralph, Clark + Heidern

Kim Team: Kim, Hwa, Raiden + Duck King

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena, Kensou, Chin + Bao

Women Team: Mai, King + Blue Mary, Kasumi Todoh

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
There are a lot of terrible choices made in that post.

Really? Which characters of these don't you like?

Shermie
Heidern
Tung
Geese
Gato
Vanessa
Ramon
Mary
Angel
Kasumi

All great. I mean, I guess if you wanted to say you don't like Kasumi, I could let that go. And maybe Angel isn't for everyone. But disliking any of the others represents a severe lack of discrimination on your part.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Most of those are great characters of course, but your choices are way unfitting with the proposed teams.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
girls team: replace malnourished droopy face midget yuri with yuri.

..... sorry

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Most of those are great characters of course, but your choices are way unfitting with the proposed teams.
Ah. That's my fault for poor wording in the title.

The choices aren't supposed to be for the specific teams. They're just supposed to be about adding characters you like to the roster. The 'remove one character per team' thing is just so that the characters get removed evenly across the roster, rather than someone like me saying "Remove the entire Psycho Soldier Team" or something, which I would do, and keep the entire FF team, for example.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The choices aren't supposed to be for the specific teams. They're just supposed to be about adding characters you like to the roster.

Pretty much what Shito said. I mean, Kim's team is supposed to be bad guys he's trying to rehabilitate, and you want to add in Tung? Makes zero sense.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
As much of a Kim fan I am, I would drop him in favor of Duck, to give a nice Fatal Fury 1 bad guy team to go after the original three heroes.

I would completely drop the psycho soldier team and add another Art of Fighting team that consisted of Mr. Big, Mr. Karate, and young Geese Howard.

I would also take Takuma completely out of the AoF team (since he's Mr. Karate in the AoF boss team) and put Yuri on it, and then fill in the missing slot in the women's team with Blue Mary.

I don't like the Elizabeth team at all, so I would completely axe them in favor of an "old man team" that consisted of Tung, Jubei, and Nicotine.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Pretty much what Shito said. I mean, Kim's team is supposed to be bad guys he's trying to rehabilitate, and you want to add in Tung? Makes zero sense.
Jeez, read the post you just quoted. Once you get the characters into the game, you can arrange them however you want. Put them in whichever teams you want. This isn't about creating teams that make sense.

I would completely drop the psycho soldier team

I don't like the Elizabeth team at all, so I would completely axe them

Jubei, and Nicotine.
Now you're just trolling.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If I was going to do it Wes' way, I'd cut the entire Psycho Soldier Team, the entire Ikari Team, the entire Elisabeth Team, The entire K' Team, entire Japan Team, entire Yagami Team, make the AOF team, Yuri and King secret characters, add Jubei, Tung, Cheng, Geese, Rick, Xianfei, Duck, Mary, Laurence, Yamazaki, Sokaku, Bob, the Jin twins, Hon-Fu, Krauser, Franco, Axel, Richard, Michael Max and call the game "REAL BOUT 3: FUCK YOU TO THE KOF SERIES"

But that's not what this is about.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Jeez, read the post you just quoted. Once you get the characters into the game, you can arrange them however you want. Put them in whichever teams you want. This isn't about creating teams that make sense.

I did read it. Just because you admit that your original post made no sense doesn't mean I can't give Shito the nod when he explained why your choices were very, very bad. Regardless that your intentions weren't what anybody with two eyes that read the thread thought they were, I went ahead and built my picks around teams anyway. I feel KOF should be centered around teams that have some relation with each other.

Now you're just trolling.

Give me a break. I've never been into the Psycho Soldier team. Teenagers with magical powers and a drunk old fart. Count me out. All the others I suggested were great. I mean, you want to ditch Iori for....Ramon, and then declare that it was an easy decision for you to make. You should be embarrassed by that statement alone.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
But that's not what this is about.

The thread turning into anything else other than what you envisioned it would be better, quite honestly. All you've done was poorly word a thread that was done to death from 1999-2003.

HEY GUYZ, IF U COULD BUILD UR OWN KOF WHO WOULD U PICK?!?!

Oh, you gave a limitation on the roster. What a breath of fresh air.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I feel KOF should be centered around teams that have some relation with each other.
Yeah, fine, do that. Once you've added whatever characters you like into the game, go ahead and arrange them in teams that make sense.

All you've done was poorly word a thread that was done to death from 1999-2003.
How can you say that when we have had so many high quality characters added to the series since then?

What a breath of fresh air.
Thank you.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
How can you say that when we have had so many high quality characters added to the series since then?

nope.jpg

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Now you are just being difficult. We've had additions like Momoko and Elisabeth that are complete game-changers and breathed new life into the entire genre.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Japan Team: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro
I'd leave this one alone.

Elisabeth Team: Elisabeth, Duo Lon, Shen
I'd remove the entire team and replace them with a Buriki team of Gai, Silber and Mr. Karate II....but since I'm already breaking the rules, just remove Mr.Karate II and replace him with Rob Python and make Mr. K2 and alt for Ryo.

Iori Team: Iori, Vice, Mature
(don't care)

Fatal Fury Team: Terry, Andy, Joe
I'd leave it

AOF Team: Ryo, Robert, Takuma
I'd leave it

K' Team: K', Maxima, Kula
I'd remove entire team and replace with agent team: Blue Mary, Vanessa, Ramon

Ikari Team: Leona, Ralph, Clark
Leona out, Heidern in

Kim Team: Kim, Hwa, Raiden
Kim out, Mr. Big in

Psycho Soldier Team: Athena, Kensou, Chin
Just fucking ether all three of them and make an assasin team of Eiji, Ron, and Duo Lon

Women Team: Mai, King, Yuri
Yuri out, B. Jennet in

My choices:

K' Team: take out K' and add '02 Vanessa (!)

Ikari Team: remove Leona and add Heidern

Women Team: tough choice but take out Yuri and replace with Mary

I could live with the first and third, second is a good idea...the rest I don't care for but I'm sure the feeling is more than mutual.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Assassin team was probably the best idea in the thread. Eiji, Lin, and Duo Lon would be a dope team.

Also like the idea of Yamazaki instead of Iori. Yamazaki is still Orochi, Iori is not, right? No business with his current partners.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yah sorry man...I tried to go along with it. Honest.

I know we all like to mix and match, but (officially) some teams just aren't meant to be fucked with.
Some of those teams go way back to when I was a 14 year old reading about them in EGM...they are pretty much hardwired at this point.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Let me say while Momoko is a mildly retarded, totally nonsensical capoeira moe blob, Elisabeth makes sense as a key character in the Ash saga/story.

Also, I see a lot of people hate Yuri's sprite settei, and I would mostly agree (she got that doll/figure like settei since 2003 IIRC), yet again please remember 'fighting Yuri' has been (re)born in RyuuKo 2 as a comical, paradoxical character. The damsel in dismay she originally was, she just put up a gi and self-taught Kyokugenryuu in a random gym, to the utmost surprise oh her brother, father and boyfriend. She has been a joke ever since. In KOF, she's always been a parody character, be it in term on anime puns (Evangelion, etc), Capcom puns (ShoryuuReppa, ShunGoukuSatsu, ShinShouryuuken), and generally being blatantly overpowered to begin with. So, you won't expect a serious/badass design for her in KOFXIII, where Nona's great settei work radically infuses each character with its own unique original attitude. :)

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yah sorry man...I tried to go along with it. Honest.
It's okay, I don't mind that. I think what hurt so much about Wes' posts is that when I think of the great care with which I have always treated other people's feelings here, I kind of expect the same amount of consideration in return. I don't think that is such an unreasonable thing to ask.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Assassin team was probably the best idea in the thread. Eiji, Lin, and Duo Lon would be a dope team.

Also like the idea of Yamazaki instead of Iori. Yamazaki is still Orochi, Iori is not, right? No business with his current partners.

-Lin and Duo Lon are Hizoku, I don't see them fitting with a Kisaragi. ;)
-Yes, Iori has never been an Orochi Hakkesshuu. But just as Leona (but following different paths), he's an 'Orochi bastard', his original bloodline (Yasakani clan) having tainted its own soul with the Orochi power to rival in a fratricide feud with the Kusanagi clan, hence the Yasakani flams turning from crimson to purplish, the clan changing name in Yagami, and all the Yagami clan members having short lifespans. That was 660 years ago, just for the records. :) Plus, he got involved with Mature & Vice for those two were ordered by Goenitz to 'keep an eye on the bastard'.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

Yeah...Ron doesnt work. Probably belongs on a team of other boss hosses, none of which come to mind atm.

Yamazaki is still Orochi, but his raison d'etre is different from the others.
Kinda does his own thing while Iori and the 2 broads are more like cultish acolytes.
I'd see him on a goon squad with maybe Billy Kane and Hwa.