KoFXI > SF3rdS

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
IMHO,

KoFXI trumps SF3rd. I have more fun and later hours with KOFXI than 3rd with my friends. I love the music. KDD-0075, New Order, they freakin rock(although I really liked Chun Li and Akuma's), the backgrounds, the amount of deverse characters and fighting styles, the speed. I like the gameplay more as well. Anyone agree? Im sure there are those that disagree. KoFXI has just really grown on me, and if I had to choose a fighter to play, it would be KoFXI. I guess we will see how it stands up over time.....

AJ

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I've never played KoFXI, but I'm 99% sure I agree with you regardless.

I don't know what it is, but I can't get into 3S. I've tried, put countless hours into it, yet I still never found it much fun.

Alex Neuco

Quiz Detective
Ehhh...I dunno. That's a tough one actually. I mean, don't get me wrong, KOF XI is hot, but I have a special place in my heart for Street Fighter. It's like having the 2 sexiest women you ever saw right in front of you, and being forced to choose which one to have sex with. :kekeke:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I've never played KoFXI, but I'm 99% sure I agree with you regardless.

I don't know what it is, but I can't get into 3S. I've tried, put countless hours into it, yet I still never found it much fun.

took the words right out of my mouth

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
HahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH *wheeze*
The only KOF that comes close is 96. :spock:

starman

Armored Scrum Object
Although I haven't played KofXI myself, I definently have a better time with any KOF over Third Strike.

I mean, I definently consider SF3s to be a much superior game than, KOF NeoWave or something, but I would personally get a lot more enjoyment out of Neowave than SF3s. It has to do with the feel of the game than anything else--KoF just feels more fluid and smooth, without going over the top like Guilty Gear or the vs series. Although I'd say Garou "feels" the most natural out of any fighter I've ever playn, personally.

Plus, KoF also has really good music. I mean, SF3s doesn't exactly get me excited in the way Kyo's 99 Theme does, or something.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I haven't played XI, but I just don't see how this statement is possible. TS is amazing. I just don't know....

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
yeah right, keep dreaming pedros. sf3ts is still the best 2d fighter ever, kof XI is great, but better than the best, hell na. its much more fluid than it used to be and combos easier, but as good as sf3ts, um no. KOF can only get as good as sf3ts when its really renewed, no sprite rip game is gonna own sf3ts for that matter, no gg, no ff, no lb, no ss, no nothing. any game to remotely come close would have to have:

A: graphics at least as good, possibly better.

B: animation at least as good or even better

C: Music at least as good or better

D: resolution even better than ts

no gameplay or characters. gameplay is as perfect as it gets in ts, so any game rivalling that gameplay is good enough to be the best, if its better it really is the best. characters, only thing ts isnt great at, charas, if they make a fighter that has better fighter than ts, at least as great a gameplay as ts and point A till D then it will be better. till then ts will remain the best 2d brawler evr. though the best fighter ever could have been SS if they had done point A till D, made gameplay changes to rivall those of sf3ts, and use the same awesome characters theyve always used, i only mean the characters snk made, none from ssv, vs and tenka. only good addition was yoshitora IMO. all previous SS characters have been the best designs ever in gaming history IMO.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
comparing two completely different games is stupid and useless

the replies in this thread are stupid too

haha a fighting game is better than others because of the RESOLUTION

haha,what a load of bollocks

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Never played KOFXI but I've had more fun with SF3 3S than any KOF but then again KOF has something SF doesn't and I don't know what it is and that's what keeps me coming back to KOF.

Graphics pfft, sure we all like a nice looking game but then again graphics don't make a game fun.

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Fran said:
comparing two completely different games is stupid and useless

the replies in this thread are stupid too

haha a fighting game is better than others because of the RESOLUTION

haha,what a load of bollocks

Yeah,
It is kinda meaningless, but is it fun to compare the two. This is the first KoF that I can say gives SF3rd a run for its money. There is no denying the fun factor, and playability of XI, and SNKP just seemed to get it right. I think the music is XI is much better than 3rd too. I have the "Sounds of KoFXI" ost, and the arranged music is just great. I just have more fun with XI than 3rd and was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

BTW, is the resolution on 3rd and XI the same? Low Res sprites? The only HI-Res 2ders are RumbleFish, GG, FotNS.....

Alex Neuco

Quiz Detective
I notice a lot of replies from people that haven't even played (or seen for that matter) KOF XI, yet have their mind made up. All I gotta say is, don't knock it before you try it.

Oh, and also people need to keep in mind that 3rd Strike has had this level of animation and gameplay for the past 6 - 7 years (with the original Street Fighter III being almost 10 years old) yet it is probably the most played game at fighting game tournaments. I mean, who needs any more proof than one of the most famous internet video clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__g7ILHr7KY&search=street fighter III

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
ajk1080 said:
Yeah,
It is kinda meaningless, but is it fun to compare the two. This is the first KoF that I can say gives SF3rd a run for its money. There is no denying the fun factor, and playability of XI, and SNKP just seemed to get it right. I think the music is XI is much better than 3rd too. I have the "Sounds of KoFXI" ost, and the arranged music is just great. I just have more fun with XI than 3rd and was wondering if anyone felt the same way.

BTW, is the resolution on 3rd and XI the same? Low Res sprites? The only HI-Res 2ders are RumbleFish, GG, FotNS.....

the sprites in 11 are good old neo geo sprites only filtered or something
the bgs are high res
3rd is all high
but for the love of god,i feel like a complete idiot talking about resolutions
i feel like one of those gg fanboys,and it's not good

i still believe comparing 2 different games with 2 completely different engines is a waste of time
can't you all see it doesn't make any sense ?

people have been playing third for about 6 or 7 years now,
kof 11 is relatively new so of course it's going to give you that "fresh vibe" or something

but okay,garou densetsu special or virtua fighter 4 evo ?

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Yeah, high resolution graphics are hot!! That's why I keep coming back to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for Nintendo. Punch-Out's animation is even superior to Third Strike's!!

NeoGeo2k2

Noooooooo peeking ;-),
I'll take 3rd St any day over KOF XI.
the game that does come close to me is KOF99.
I know people don't think that 99 is the best like me, but theres also people that think that 2k3 is the best..
so it's KOF99 ><3rd St

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Fran said:
the sprites in 11 are good old neo geo sprites only filtered or something
the bgs are high res
3rd is all high
but for the love of god,i feel like a complete idiot talking about resolutions
i feel like one of those gg fanboys,and it's not good

i still believe comparing 2 different games with 2 completely different engines is a waste of time
can't you all see it doesn't make any sense ?

people have been playing third for about 6 or 7 years now,
kof 11 is relatively new so of course it's going to give you that "fresh vibe" or something

but okay,garou densetsu special or virtua fighter 4 evo ?

you do know its motherfucking 2006, even if the gameplay elements reach the level of sf3ts almost that is, its still nowhere near the level of sf3ts. reason i talked about resolution and animation and those other details that dont have anything to do with playebillety is cause you cant have an old ass game with sprites dating as far back as from back 94 and say its better than sf3ts.

no matter how fluid they made the game, its still way too choppy. even if its 2 different fighters you can still compare and still like one better than the other. no matter how great the gameplay of kof gets, ittl never be better than ts gameplay. so how can you reach that level? even if it was as great as ts you still have to deal with the fugly graphics,bgs and sprites, music is better this year around though. what im meaning to say is its time for something new. theyve been doing spriterips for 1 game for 12 years allready, kof is still fun to play but it never got any better or really renewed after 98, just little additions and strikers and such. its time for something new damnit. and the only way to make a game as fluid as possible is to put as much animation in it as possible. would it hurt to use a higher resolution, its not even on the neo anymore. they should make the game as great as possible.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
dude,no offense,but your comments about kof and fighting games in general make me think you don't really know what you're talking about

and just for your information,
i know several people who dislike high res sprites or bgs and don't really dig the omg so fluid animation style of sf 3

of course,it's all my fault

i should have never replied or entered this thread anyway

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Look, I'm an admitted KoF fanboy and love KoF XI so far, but let's not go insane here.

I was at a convention this weekend and there were STILL lots of people playing 3rd Strike, as well as quite a bit of heated discussion on the game.

I do think KoF XI is probably the best Playmore game to date, but six months or even a year isn't nearly enough time to call it 'better than 3rd Strike.'

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fran said:
dude,no offense,but your comments about kof and fighting games in general make me think you don't really know what you're talking about

and just for your information,
i know several people who dislike high res sprites or bgs and don't really dig the omg so fluid animation style of sf 3

of course,it's all my fault

i should have never replied or entered this thread anyway

i would fuck you in the ass, but your replies make too much sense for ng.com
kofxi <><><><><><><> 3rd
no that's not pisces on crack, just you fanbois with too much time on the forums.
enjoy the game or not, it's your choice.
think i will, personally.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
so far, in my opinion, kof xi is superior to third strike.

i'm talking the ps2 version though. otherwise i think third strike beats it out barely.
anyone who doesn't own or hasn't already played kof xi for ps2 is really missing out. it's amazing. i got mine a week late and had to read all the hype, so i was hyped up, then the game still flew over my expectations.

beating magaki has to be the mosty satisfying feeling in a fighting game ever.

the game's fun factor goes up x2 when you start messing with color edit and editing projectiles too, as well as unlocking the secret characters. i mean, come on, there are more characters to unlock in this game than in any other previous KOF, and the challenge mode just kicks your ass.

derboo

Crazed MVS Addict
NeoEsZ said:
beating magaki has to be the mosty satisfying feeling in a fighting game ever.

Fighting Magaki has to be the most dissatisfying feeling in a game ever.

He'd be an appropriate boss for Radiant Silvergun, but when i want a screen full of projectiles, i don't play fighting games...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've played KoF XI for the first time last night for about 3 hours, both in 1P and 2P...

Well... I guess I have to put some more time into it, it's nice so far but I really fail to see what makes XI better than 2k1~2k3, NW or NGBC.. the crappy hit/anim effects are still there, some strings + possible followups feel quite button-mashy, etc. Well, that's just a very thin first impression which is subject to change when I'm done with dissecting the engine/character features in a couple of weeks, let's see...

Oh, and of course it's impossible to compare 3s to XI on a technical level because XI is a team battle game with totally different mechanics than 3s.

Anyway, I'm not a huge 3s fan but I doubt XI could de-throne 3s as peoples' fave 2D fighter.

Rengoku

Duck King's DJ
by gameplay meanings you can't even compare kofs each others
so kof with 3s..meh

btw ppl base their opinion only on the same, old, crap as the same old sprites mugen complainings etc etc..
but they seems to have ham over their eyes not looking to the engine mods (i talk of mods 'cause the first completely new engine for kof was introduced in 2k3) or on how the 10years old characters fits to a new system..

that's why playing kof is so fun 'cause with almost the same charas every year you can play different games
98, 2k2, neowave have pretty much the same roster but gameplay changes a lot (minor differences between 2k2 and NW btw)
thats only if you're not that kind of player that playing street fighter 2 champion edition or vf5 is the same (basic and somewhat effective gameplay for fighting games to understand better)

personally i dislike sf3s due to many reasons
- too much zoning (in my little experience btw) and i prefer heavily rushdown based games as kof
- shitty music and bg's
- shitty charas i like only gouki and maybe 12
- less movement possibles, only one type of jump and only dash forward and backdash
- random stuffs

but kof is my fave:
- great mobility, 4kind of jumps run backdash forward roll recovery roll (and the kofXi new forward recovery roll) CD/AB breaks make the game too fun for me 'cause i like speed in games
- 3vs3 system wich can open to different strategies and game balance (man i simply love the new tag system when i hated so much 2k3 tags)
- too many other things to list

but i can't say if kof is better than 3s it's all a matter of personal opinion and feelings

btw talling of XI i appreciate their efforts making a new beatiful sequel to a serie that was dying (even if i like neowave so much i have to admit that game is a flop compared to the rest)
new chara (oswald kicks asses with his carg fighting style) new bg, new music, intros comeback, new animation for some charas (damm look at K' almost entirely redone ) so many colors for each chara and a very well realized tag system make the game so fun and deep to play and discover

i have only to complain 2 things..game balances 'cause seems so hard to beat god tiers in this game
play against gato in XI will make you consider choi in 2k2 a very nice guy to love
and eiji and oswald are very overpowered bastards
last thing to hate shitty and stupid charas like malin or momoko
DAMMN! how in the earth someone wit QI more than 2 can create a stupid little chicken as momoko?
btw her forward walk talk made me fell from my chair and her doremi canto DM is wonderful to make your opponent laugh
BUT what this bitch does against some as Iori?or ryo?
immagine that ryo that gave his entire life to master kyokugen lose to that little singing brat

no way

please kill who drawed her :(

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
KoF XI is excellent... I love that game. It is so polished it's crazy. But, on the other hand, 3S is a beautiful game as well. I've played 3S an awful lot. So, at this point, I would pick KoF XI over it.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
is it hype or what..cause i never try kof XI yet( no arcedae in town has it:eye: ).. but 3s is on top of my fighters list
i might have to pick up the ps2 version to give it a shot