Lithy, can you make decent beer at home?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I remember my dad always had a home brew kit on the go, but that was back when beer cost something. For the last 20 years beers has been virtually free from the supermarket so nobody bothered, but it's on the rise again.

Will home brew make a reappearance?

Is it always destined to be cloudy, undrinkable piss? Or can it be done right, at home, on the cheap?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Lithy will give a proper response but even I’ve made my own beer and cider, it isn’t difficult and it didn’t taste like piss. Just avoid getting anything contaminated and follow the recipe. Find your nearest brewing shop and talk to some nerds.

Top tip, start keeping your old beer bottles, clean them, and then reuse them for your home brew.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've homebrewed on and off for 15 years. As with anything, you catch the bug and it's fun for a while until you find a new use for that time and money. Like Lithy says, it's not cost-effective compared to buying beer at the grocery store. Time is the big factor for me, though. It's hard to juggle work, family, and a hobby that solely amounts to having some extra beer around the house.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
You definitely won't save any money.

Nah once you’ve got your setup paid for you can make beer for say 50p a pint here which tastes like a £2 can from the supermarket with those beer kits in a can with yeast, and probably less if you select your own yeasts and hops.

The setup costs can be heavy though, you need to go in with some commitment to make the economics worthwhile.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Cost varies by location/distributor, beer style, and level of commitment to the process. All grain and partial mash ingredients are going to cost a lot more than your standard beer in a can kit or even brew kits put together by a local homebrew shop, but you get what you pay for -- just like at the grocery store where you can buy a $4 six pack or a $24 six pack.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just squirt some Pantene right into my 40oz. Saves time and hassle.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Six packs here even at the cheap end are like $15 and you probably wouldn't want to drink it. Homebrewing probably makes more sense here as a result but still convenience is a killer.

• Wow
Reactions: wyo

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
No home brew can match the perfect smoothness of natural light. Or miller lite.

LITE 🤣🤣🤣 wtf

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Six packs here even at the cheap end are like $15 and you probably wouldn't want to drink it. Homebrewing probably makes more sense here as a result but still convenience is a killer.
$15 for a six pack is crazy unless it's something fancy. The most expensive 6 pack here is like $12.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You beauty
4917.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
$15 USD for a six pack is bonkers. It’s like $8.99 or $9.99 for some independent brewery shit.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
$15 USD for a six pack is bonkers. It’s like $8.99 or $9.99 for some independent brewery shit.

You bought any beer lately? $12-15 is a pretty typical grocery store price.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah it literally makes no sense with slab/case prices being around $38 usd.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Will home brew make a reappearance?
Reappearance? It has been big for a long time. I know multiple beer nerds who homebrew. There are at least two local stores devoted to it. My brother can make some damn fine craft beer at home.

But yeah, the equipment is a bit of an investment, some don't have the space, I definitely don't have the time or need more of a beer gut.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You bought any beer lately? $12-15 is a pretty typical grocery store price.

I’m going to have to check. Last I remember was paying $8.99 or $9.99 for a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I guess inflation has hit beer too?