Mad Catz is Dead

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
They came a ways from the garbage they made in the 16-bit generation, but if it was the current and late last gen Rock Band instruments that killed them, they should've known it was too soon for that to make a successful comeback.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Yup, knew it was coming when their stock price went down to $0.15 cents a share and were delisted from NYSE. They lost $11 million, laid off 37% of their staff and sold off their Saitek division to stay afloat. Consoles are dropping and they're probably tanking with them.

Last edited:

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
They came a ways from the garbage they made in the 16-bit generation, but if it was the current and late last gen Rock Band instruments that killed them, they should've known it was too soon for that to make a successful comeback.

Seriously, how did they not go out of business years ago when they were selling some of the worst controllers made?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
And nothing of value was lost.

Nyko sucks too but at least they make good battery peripherals. I've got their Vita battery grip, their Wii U gamepad battery grip, and the original 3DS battery extender and they're all ace.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
d910ca03e161394386188c0230800cd5_angry-cat-good-meme-05jpg-meme-cat-good_400-400.jpeg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Them MC sticks were pretty decent, they did bring more interest into the field and other companies started bringing in more quality products like Hori and such. Sucks that they took a dive but that was just a dumb decision diving into RB like that.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
They will be back in some form just making sticks im sure. Declaring bankruptcy doesnt mean your company is dead forever.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Good riddance. The only thing I ever bought from them was the Chun-Li stick. Pelican/PDP sucks. Nyko sucks. The only third party accessory maker I trust is Hori.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Shit company w terrible quality control. Responsible for high price sticks. Glad they are gonem

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Good riddance. The only thing I ever bought from them was the Chun-Li stick. Pelican/PDP sucks. Nyko sucks. The only third party accessory maker I trust is Hori.

Thread winner. Why is this even a thread. They made shit products, they went out of business, they'll be back someday as a brand name for some other shit products. Stupid thread.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've said it before, but the only reason their sticks were decent was because they got parts from Sanwa. All of their own stuff was garbage. Probably the only decent thing I've used of theirs was the sf4 pad, which still wasn't great.

Pasky

Thread winner. Why is this even a thread. They made shit products, they went out of business, they'll be back someday as a brand name for some other shit products. Stupid thread.

As much as you may hate them, they are basically responsible for allowing consumers easy access to 'off the shelf' quality fight sticks. Before 2009 you had to go through custom builders or import from Japan. If anything, they got the competition and market going for easy access fight sticks.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
besides a shitty mad catz sf4 pad i bought, i thought they were all right. because i love my mad catz fight stick. not the best fight sticks out there. but for the price, they are sweet.

Pasky

besides a shitty mad catz sf4 pad i bought, i thought they were all right. because i love my mad catz fight stick. not the best fight sticks out there. but for the price, they are sweet.

Only their "Tournament Edition" sticks were worth a damn, and that's mostly cus it was all Sanwa parts aside from their PCB and case.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
yeah, i have the tournament edition. never used any of their other ones.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I am definitely a HORI guy but it really really hate to seem them go. They made really great sticks and it was HUGE turn around from what they were in their pre arcade stick days. I still remember the day Capcom announced their partnership with them and thinking it would be a disaster. I dont have it anymore but my Madcatz SF4 TE RD2 was my main stick through 2009-2011 and an alternate stick until i sold it last year. Also the Madcatz SE are my absolute favorites for playing everything but fighters (sometimes i still i do use them for fighters) to this very day.

Well even with them going bankrupt its not like there will ever be a shortage of their sticks on the market as they made fucking shit load of em.

hmm...honestly its probably the collectard in me but i kind of want one of each now lol DEFINITELY dont need to be thinking that shit

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
The stick market overall took a big leap forward in quality due to their TE sticks. Hori's were always just alright but didn't bring home that arcade feel until the TE sticks forced them to up their game. I don't think we would have so many offerings of console sticks using arcade quality parts if it wasn't for MC.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I still use a Madcatz #8002 digital controller for my PlayStation. $8 on Amazon. Copyright date says 2003. Love it.

Third-party controllers mostly get their analog sticks all wrong (i.e. blown-out deadzones at both center and limit), so digital-only third-party controllers have a shot at being OK.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Your TE sticks are outdated. Mail them to me I'll take care of it. Thanks in advance.

Nah but for real, they really managed to put out a good series of products with their sticks (obviously starting with the TE and SE series), and their 6 button pads werent too bad either (nice PCBs at least! heh). They'll be missed.

I've modded plenty of TE and a few SE sticks with PCB swaps/dual mods/replacement parts (most of that I'd hardly call "mods" but whatever) and I'm convinced they consciously designed the TE to have convenient places for a lot of mods. The center plastic is crucial, you can use some ziptie mounts or drill a few holes through it for zipties (what I do), and that makes it a lot easier to go nuts with dual mods and light addons and shit like that than your typical Hori. Tons of aftermarket stuff designed to drop into TE sticks as well. They're like the Honda Civic of sticks with how much you can tweak them (and how common they are). I've got like 6 at this point (I snag them when I see people selling them real cheap typically), I'm a big fan.

Last edited:

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
I bought their first generation SFIV stick. I had to mail it to them TWICE to get it fixed. Their customer service guy was very rude to me. The stick finally broke AGAIN in 2014.

Good riddance.