march hw sales, nintendo owns japan!?!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The PS3 and Wii sales will even out shortly enough.

Seeing that the Japanese still don't give a shit about X-Box (although they do seem to care a bit more this time around...), it's really only down to the Wii and the PS3 for next-gen console stuff.

I still can't believe the DS is selling that well.

Christ... half of Japan must own one of those things by now.

Can't even imagine what's it's going to be like after DQIX gets released.

Crazy stuff.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i'm actually just surprised that the psp outsold the ps3s.

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
DS sales still amaze me to this day. 500k units per month is unbelievable. People have to be buying multiple units of this thing.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Yep they might as well rename in nintendoland. When they sell out of DS systems they start jacking prices and selling used etc. its crazy how much they love the DS

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Average Joe said:
The PS3 and Wii sales will even out shortly enough.

Seeing that the Japanese still don't give a shit about X-Box (although they do seem to care a bit more this time around...), it's really only down to the Wii and the PS3 for next-gen console stuff.

Can't even imagine what's it's going to be like after DQIX gets released.

Crazy stuff.

PS3 and Wii sales may even out eventually, but it will be awhile.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Average Joe said:

I teach English classes at a culture center to (mostly retired) adults. Four of my students have DS's - not for gaming, but for the learning software. The two "brain-training" games, and the two "learning English" games are huge hits. There's also a "improve your polite Japanese / improve your etiquette" game, and a "cooking / cook book" game that are selling well. And all of these are published by Nintendo.

Every moring when the wife and I watch the news round up we see at least one Nintendo commercial for either the DS or the learning software.

And in terms of gaming - every time I get on the train I see at least one person playing some RPG on their DS. Sometimes two or three people. The DS is everywhere.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
NDS Lite - 133,325 [2,172,975] units
Wii - 75,759 [1,170,317] units
PSP - 24,850 [740,904] units
PlayStation 2 - 12,872 [285,807] units
PlayStation 3 - 11,948 [380,291] units
Xbox 360 - 2,900 [84,876] units
GBA SP - 654 [14,691] units
GB Micro - 617 [16,931] units
GameCube - 167 [5,936] units
NDS - 146 [1,722] units
GBA - 26 [543] units
- Here are the latest Japanese console software

Last week sales. ps3 falls under 12 000. Just wow.

Wii outsold them over 6 to 1

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
tsukaesugi said:
I teach English classes at a culture center to (mostly retired) adults. Four of my students have DS's - not for gaming, but for the learning software. The two "brain-training" games, and the two "learning English" games are huge hits. There's also a "improve your polite Japanese / improve your etiquette" game, and a "cooking / cook book" game that are selling well. And all of these are published by Nintendo.

Every moring when the wife and I watch the news round up we see at least one Nintendo commercial for either the DS or the learning software.

And in terms of gaming - every time I get on the train I see at least one person playing some RPG on their DS. Sometimes two or three people. The DS is everywhere.

That's amazing to see that the DS can be used to educate old people. Is this cooking game similar to that of Cooking Mama?

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
NDS Lite - 133,325 [2,172,975] units
Wii - 75,759 [1,170,317] units
PSP - 24,850 [740,904] units
PlayStation 2 - 12,872 [285,807] units
PlayStation 3 - 11,948 [380,291] units
Xbox 360 - 2,900 [84,876] units
GBA SP - 654 [14,691] units
GB Micro - 617 [16,931] units
GameCube - 167 [5,936] units
NDS - 146 [1,722] units
GBA - 26 [543] units
- Here are the latest Japanese console software

Last week sales. ps3 falls under 12 000. Just wow.

Wii outsold them over 6 to 1

What are the "[xxx]" year to date?

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Actually although the PSP falls behind the Wii it seems like it's selling quite well. I would guess it would not be selling well, but it's sellilng better than I expected it would.

Im just surprised not to see the Wii outsell the DS.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
jeff bogard said:
Actually although the PSP falls behind the Wii it seems like it's selling quite well. I would guess it would not be selling well, but it's sellilng better than I expected it would.

Im just surprised not to see the Wii outsell the DS.

Well, in and around Tokyo, I'm seeing way more PSPs out and about than DSs.

This has never ever been the case before, but over the last few months I will always see more people playing PSPs on their commute than DSs. Of course, I'm talking about my journey to and from work here. I'm sure the situation is different under other circumstances.

I think Portable Ops was the start of this, but then Monster Hunter Portable 2 has been huge. Especially with teenage boys. I see groups of schoolboys hanging out on the benches at railway stations all playing ad-hoc MHP2.

Just the other day I say one kid on the train playing 2 PSPs! Switching between them every minute or so. Crazy. I don't see much that surprises me in Japan these days, but that was a first.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Well, in and around Tokyo, I'm seeing way more PSPs out and about than DSs.

This has never ever been the case before, but over the last few months I will always see more people playing PSPs on their commute than DSs. Of course, I'm talking about my journey to and from work here. I'm sure the situation is different under other circumstances.

I think Portable Ops was the start of this, but then Monster Hunter Portable 2 has been huge. Especially with teenage boys. I see groups of schoolboys hanging out on the benches at railway stations all playing ad-hoc MHP2.

Just the other day I say one kid on the train playing 2 PSPs! Switching between them every minute or so. Crazy. I don't see much that surprises me in Japan these days, but that was a first.

me too, just the other day i decided to count how many ppl i saw in a day playing psp. i clocked something like 297 people and that was on a monday!

wow, sony has really turned things around, their awesome upcoming games list for
may and june is more proof of that!

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
170k+ DS units sold this past week in Japan. Truly amazes me to this day. Who's buying these things......

Last edited:

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:
me too, just the other day i decided to count how many ppl i saw in a day playing psp. i clocked something like 297 people and that was on a monday!

wow, sony has really turned things around, their awesome upcoming games list for
may and june is more proof of that!

wtf, 297, the most I have ever counted is 4-5 tops.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
wtf, 297, the most I have ever counted is 4-5 tops.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Average Joe said:

Crazy indeed.

Top Ten Japan Software Sales: 4/23 - 4/29

* 1. Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings (DS)
* 2. Super Paper Mario (Wii)
* 3. Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (DS)
* 4. Wii Sports (Wii)
* 5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Wii)
* 6. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (DS)
* 7. One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Wii)
* 8. Panel de Pon DS (DS)
* 9. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (DS)
* 10. Wii Play (Wii)

ALL NINTENDO, no exceptions.:eek:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Weevus said:
PS3 and Wii sales may even out eventually, but it will be awhile.
As in, once everyone owns a Wii.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
beelzebubble said:

Actually its great news! Nintendo is murdering the 360 in sales! Both in Japan and here in the states! There just might be a god afterall! Japanese make the best products anyways so this is no real surprise to me. Even the PS3 is killing the 360 in Japan. Fantastic!