Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Well, this one really crept under the radar for me. I'm not the hugest MGS fan, although I do find the series pretty enjoyable. I bring this up mostly because this the best MSRP value I've seen on any game in a LONG time. I mean...three excellent games in slick new packaging for $29.99(?!). Sure, we've seen these all repackaged and resold in various forms ad nauseum by now...but damn, this is a hell of a deal.

Konami like to pull out fastballs when a system is in its twilight years...remember the
Aria/Harmony Castlevania doublepack on GBA?

This'll be the easiest $30 I've spent in a long time. And I've had an itch to replay the first one for a while now...all I need to do is find a cheap ps1 memcard.

Link:
http://www.konami.com/Konami/ctl3810/cp20110/si3163071/cl1/metal_gear_solid_the_essential_collection
img6162302.jpg

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Is MGS1 still the original PSX version, or are there changes? If it's still a PSX game, kinda sucks how you have use a PSX memory card every time you play.

I'd say this is tempting to get, but I already have MGS1: Integral and MGS2: Substance for the PC (both pretty damn good ports, granted you have a good controller), and MGS3: Subsistence. This is a good deal regardless.

dark penguin

DanAdamKOF said:
Is MGS1 still the original PSX version, or are there changes? If it's still a PSX game, kinda sucks how you have use a PSX memory card every time you play.

I'd say this is tempting to get, but I already have MGS1: Integral and MGS2: Substance for the PC (both pretty damn good ports, granted you have a good controller), and MGS3: Subsistence. This is a good deal regardless.

From what I've read, MGS1 is the original PSX game with no changes at all. The packaging in the new set even says "Playstation" instead of "Playstation 2". I'm actually kind of glad they left it this way, even though it's a little annoying I'll have to hunt down a memory card.
I don't currently own any of the games...so for me, this is a great deal. I've owned them all at one point in time, but you know how it goes.

Maybe I'll grab this tomorrow if I get a chance.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
It is the original PSX version.

There were rumors that they were going to put it on a PS2 dvd and make it so you could save on a PS2 memory card, but that turned out not to be true.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The worst part wasn't them not putting MGS1 on a DVD, it was taking MG1 and 2 out of Subsistence.

This would have gotten my money had that been left.

dark penguin

LoneSage said:
The worst part wasn't them not putting MGS1 on a DVD, it was taking MG1 and 2 out of Subsistence.

Yea, it's just a single disc. I'm guessing those were on one of the extra discs? I only had the original Snake Eater version, and it's been a while since I owned it.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Finally picked this up yesterday. Playing thru MGS2 again, it's been awhile..
First thing I did when I seen it in the store was check the back of the box for Meryl's codec number. Would have been funny if they forgot to put it on the box this time around. :cool:

So now with this I have come to realize I own 5 different copies of MGS, 4 copies of MGS2 and 3 copies of MGS3.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:

They list those as being included on EB and stuff.

Someone that has it should check, but it sounds like they put them on the first disc and just junked the joke theater and MGO.

dark penguin

Nesagwa said:
They list those as being included on EB and stuff.

Someone that has it should check, but it sounds like they put them on the first disc and just junked the joke theater and MGO.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick the set up in the next few days, so I'll take a look when I do. Did you have unlock them, or were they ready from the get-go?

Edit: nevermind, Ron Mcrae already has it. Maybe he'll clarify for us.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
dark penguin said:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick the set up in the next few days, so I'll take a look when I do. Did you have unlock them, or were they ready from the get-go?

Edit: nevermind, Ron Mcrae already has it. Maybe he'll clarify for us.

On the second disc in MSG3S it was just two menu items you could pick.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:

MGS1 is on a PS2 DVD...it was originally 2 CD's...but you still have to use the PS1 memory card though...lame...

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
smokehouse said:
MGS1 is on a PS2 DVD...it was originally 2 CD's...but you still have to use the PS1 memory card though...lame...

No, it's on 2 PS1 CD-ROMs.

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
I have all but two on the PS2. I really want it, but do I really need it? I have a feeling it's going to be rare in a couple of years!

Piratero

Street Hoop Star
15 Year Member
Will they provide any fixes or extras in any of the games?

Dammit! This makes me want to whip out my PsOne and replay Metal Gear Solid! This is what they want us to do! ahhhh!

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
metal gear solid is for sure on 2 psx disks

mgsolidscan.jpg

the insert reminds me of those fan made psx dvd case inserts with that big playstation logo going down the side of the front

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So does this set come with seperate cases with inserts for the 3 games or is it just packed into one big case?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
lachlan said:
So does this set come with seperate cases with inserts for the 3 games or is it just packed into one big case?

Three different cases in a bigger slipcase.

BIG

sony fanboy
tempting, but since i already own every installment sans mgs, i think i'll just buy the digital version via psn.

hdd saves ftw.

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
Wow, this is great. It's cool how Metal Gear Solid's on 2 PSX format discs. I would've expected Konami to stick MGS on a single DVD instead.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
AppleiDog said:
Are they the same disc artwork, or totally new?

Totally new, I believe. Almost makes me want to go out and buy this actually. I really like Shinkawa's artwork.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I got this set about a week ago and have already played through MGS, and started on MGS 3. Great stuff. Was going to make a thread on this when I got it but I couldn't be arsed to do it, I was wanting to play the games more. :p

MGS is on 2 original Playstation CD's, and is completely identical to the original release. MGS 2 is Substance version and MGS 3 is the Subsistence version. They are on 1 DVD each, so there might have been stuff cut out of MGS 3.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
In MGS3, was there:
1. MG and MG2?
2. Metal Gear Online?
3. Special Theater (parodies)?