Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
The only thing stripped down is MGS3 and thats only because they cant sell people MGO if the servers dont exist anymore.

MGS1 in better packaging and MGS2S in a new case for a reasonable price? Sign me the fuck up.

But yeah, not for people that own everything already unless you like completion.

Fish_Monger

Another Striker
Nesagwa said:
The only thing stripped down is MGS3 and thats only because they cant sell people MGO if the servers dont exist anymore.

MGS1 in better packaging and MGS2S in a new case for a reasonable price? Sign me the fuck up.

But yeah, not for people that own everything already unless you like completion.

I guess it isn't really stripped down. It's really just more of a re-hash. They should've put something "collectable" with it besides just new packaging.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Fish_Monger said:
I guess it isn't really stripped down. It's really just more of a re-hash. They should've put something "collectable" with it besides just new packaging.

They did this sort of thing at the end of th PSX's life too. Tomb Raider, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Syphon Filter all got "Collection" packs for 30 bucks or less.

Just kind of a last ditch effort to get a few bucks while they can.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
dark penguin said:
I played through some of part 1 last night, then got too frustrated because of the memory card issue. I think I'll just crack and order one off ebay or something.

So, as of right now, I'm replaying pt 2. I'd forgotten what a quality(if bizarre) game it is. It still looks and plays very nicely. The graphics definitely don't look too dated yet.

MGS 2 hasn't aged bad at all... I remember drooling over the graphics when it first came out, and when I popped it back in recently I was reminded of how awesome it still is. Silky smooth.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
ki_atsushi said:
MGS 2 hasn't aged bad at all... I remember drooling over the graphics when it first came out, and when I popped it back in recently I was reminded of how awesome it still is. Silky smooth.

I agree 100%. MGS2 is an amazing acheivement, no matter how you slice it. I think it'll continue to age well over the years.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
HeartlessNinny said:
I agree 100%. MGS2 is an amazing acheivement, no matter how you slice it. I think it'll continue to age well over the years.

I'm really enjoying re-playing it. In fact, this game has such top-notch production values that I think the impending MGS movie may be redundant...especially considering Kojima didn't exactly lose any steam on MGS3.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I have a question for this set

Does metal gear solid play on PS1s? I know its been said they appear to be ps1 disc's but would like to know if they'll play on ps?

BIG

sony fanboy
IcBlUsCrN said:
Does metal gear solid play on PS1s? I know its been said they appear to be ps1 disc's but would like to know if they'll play on ps?

i don't see why not.

it *is* a psx disc after all...

HeartlessNinny

IcBlUsCrN said:

My PS2 is all boxed up in a closet, and my PS3 was upstairs at a TV in use, so I fired up MGS1 from the Essential Collection on my PS1. It works fine.

Hell, they even used the same icons about stuff like memory blocks and whatnot on the back of the box. And the discs are that weird purply black colour that PS1 games are.

For all intents and purposes, it's a PS1 game in a PS2-style DVD case.

Anyways, having just beaten it for maybe the seventh or eighth time the other night, I think I can officially say that the original MGS is better than Twin Snakes. I like the graphical style and slightly-off accents better, not to mention the cutscenes — the Twin Snakes cutscene nonsense reminds me of the Star Wars rerelease shit. Kinda unecessary, and unwelcome.

On to MGS2 tomorrow. Man, I never thought I'd be so excited to play a 7 year old game that I've already beaten about five times. Don't forget to play the Snake Tales too, people. They're awesome —especially the zany last one. :)

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Has anyone finished the original two Metal Gear games? As big a fan as I am of the MGS series, I've never really bothered to play them since they came packed with Subsistence a couple years ago. I started the first MG, but didn't really care enough to try to finish it. It's not as if they tell you anything about the storyline that isn't explained to death in the other games and the gameplay hasn't exactly aged well.

I would like to track down a copy of the Gameboy Color MGS game. I bought a used copy some years ago at EB but the cartridge stopped working in the middle of the game.

HeartlessNinny

genjiglove said:
Has anyone finished the original two Metal Gear games? As big a fan as I am of the MGS series, I've never really bothered to play them since they came packed with Subsistence a couple years ago. I started the first MG, but didn't really care enough to try to finish it. It's not as if they tell you anything about the storyline that isn't explained to death in the other games and the gameplay hasn't exactly aged well.

I would like to track down a copy of the Gameboy Color MGS game. I bought a used copy some years ago at EB but the cartridge stopped working in the middle of the game.

Man, I did exactly the same thing. I probably played Metal Gear 1 for a couple hours, then never went back to it.

I'm thinking I'll give them another go when I'm done with MGS 1, 2 and 3.

And I actually bought Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (as I like to call it) for the GBC years ago, boxed and everything. But when I got it home, I found that the manual was from a Zelda game. When I took it back, they didn't have any more MG GBCs left, so I was stuck with it. Fucking EB Games... That's bugged the shit out of me ever since.

Anyways, I played through most of it, but there's an annoying section where you ride conveyor belts, and I kind of just gave up on it. Maybe I'll get to it someday, but ultimately, the game is good... But not great, if you catch my drift.

As a final side note, I'm such a Metal Gear fanatic I got the Document of Metal Gear Solid 2... And I've probably watched all the trailers and shit on there a half dozen times. If I'm a fanboy for any series... Well. This'd be it. :D

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
HeartlessNinny said:
so I fired up MGS1 from the Essential Collection on my PS1. It works fine.

Hell, they even used the same icons about stuff like memory blocks and whatnot on the back of the box. And the discs are that weird purply black colour that PS1 games are.

For all intents and purposes, it's a PS1 game in a PS2-style DVD case.

Anyways, having just beaten it for maybe the seventh or eighth time the other night, I think I can officially say that the original MGS is better than Twin Snakes. I like the graphical style and slightly-off accents better, not to mention the cutscenes — the Twin Snakes cutscene nonsense reminds me of the Star Wars rerelease shit. Kinda unecessary, and unwelcome.

Thanks thats good news, I want to play it on my dreamcast, maybe i will actually finish it this time , only played it once and could not beat the metal gear at the end.
I was going to get the twin snakes but since there is so much hype about mgs4 there going for a little more then i want to pay for and for the same price i can get the collection

HeartlessNinny

So I've been playing MGS3: Subsitence (not the essential one, the two-disc one), and man oh man, this game is even better than I remember. I'm utterly addicted...

Anyways, I'll save everyone a protracted monologue about why it's so awesome and just say this: This game might just make the top three for my favourite games ever (and I've played a few). Awesome.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
HeartlessNinny said:
So I've been playing MGS3: Subsitence (not the essential one, the two-disc one), and man oh man, this game is even better than I remember. I'm utterly addicted...

Anyways, I'll save everyone a protracted monologue about why it's so awesome and just say this: This game might just make the top three for my favourite games ever (and I've played a few). Awesome.

Yea. The look, the style, the atmosphere. It's basically got everything in spades.

PS, there's a great game in there too.