Metal Slug Mania - Coming in March

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
MS3 would have been an absolute masterpiece as a console game.

As an arcade game, it is needlessly long.

But if you play it at home without the stress that you need to finish it all in one go and use save states it's actually a great game.
There are also some parts where, even if memorizing the stages, are incredibly difficult to the point of becoming frustrating.

It's one of those games that I've played maybe a dozen times to see all the various paths and then that was it, I never touched it again.

The first and second slug are perfect and I don't even mind the slowdown in 2 too much if playing solo.
With a friend it becomes really too much and that's when the turbo patch comes in handy and makes it actually an enjoyable experience.

I have to revisit 4 and 5 at some point, I don't really remember much about them. I definitely cleared both (credit feed) but for some reason I never got back to them.

doaal

Marked Wolf
1 is the most fair and intelligently designed, 3 has the brilliant branching paths and spectacle and is possibly the best entry, but only if you turn it off before the final mission. In that sense my overall fav is 2/X for overall balance of smart design, brisk pace and only somewhat bullshit difficulty. 4 and 6 both play alright but miss the mark aesthetically, and 5 looks the part but the levels are padded and long. Perhaps if they had time to make more content they wouldn't have stretched out what they had, but who really wants to sit through that boat ride every time you play the game?

I only briefly tried 7/XX but it didn't impress me.

ConstitutionalCommando

New Challenger
I like the original the best because there's no zombies or aliens. The game is well designed without all of the ridiculousness of the sequels. I'm not a fan of sci-fi and I like games that are designed to simulate the real world. Metal Slug 1 is only missing the laser gun.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
As a game in isolation Metal Slug 4 is ok, fun for maybe a few minutes, but overall distinctly average.

In it's place within the series it's awful. It regresses the gameplay elements built up so deftly by its predecessors, it's lazily put together (it should have been called Metal Slug 4: The Recycling), it replaces the awesome militiary inspired soundtracks with some thrash metal shit, and reduces two popular characters to cameo status.

It is the poor mans Metal Slug, a blatant cash grab, by a company still trying to get it's shit together after going bankrupt.

Metal Slug 5 is considerbly better in my opinion, it's closer to the original SNK/Nazca games, but is completely undone by the fact that it was obviously rushed to market and is kind of two-thirds finished.... why this was I'd love to know.

Anyway you slice it, Slugs 4 & 5 are the weakest of the bunch from the original Neo-Geo series.

Hans

In my bathroom I pee sitting. No splashing
Goob of the Year
3>1>X>5>4>2

4 and 5 deserve more credit for their soundtracks. 2 is the worst based solely on the slowdown.