Microsoft acquires ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Phil Spencer said:
Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more join Team Xbox

Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks.

Source

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Microsoft buys Zenimax (Bethesda, id, Tango, MachineGames, Alpha dog, etc)

Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Quake, Prey, Dishonored, and more now owned by Microsoft.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Good time for gamers to buy an Xbox or invest in a high end PC?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Id has been garbage for a long time now, all the original staff who made it what it was have left.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Well at least now Doom can be a first party DOS / Windows game.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Dang this might shake up the next gen a bit. I do kinda wish Bungie would give in and take the money as well.

Destiny is/has been a cluster F for so long.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Interesting for sure. Wonder if MS will put these games on the other consoles at some point. Surely they will be released on PC

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Interesting for sure. Wonder if MS will put these games on the other consoles at some point. Surely they will be released on PC

IMG-20200921-WA0027.jpg

(Sorry if the pic is too big. Uploaded from my phone)

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Still won't need an xbox if all these games still come out on PC ;)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Can Microsoft buy Bethesda a proper QA deparment?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Gamepass, gamepass, gamepass.

That’s what this is all about. Buy an Xbox, subscribe to gamepass ultimate and get games from well known and established devs for “free.”

Xbox is no different from Microsoft’s other money making services which have transitioned to the cloud and are on a service/subscription model.

For gamers with solid internet who’ve already gone digital (and maybe even stopped buying games instead being content with gamepass offerings) this is a real boon. This news plus the news that MS has lured EA in to Gamepass makes me think MS will be quite profitable for some time to come.

How this will effect or change the industry as a whole remains to be seen.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Horrible news. Fuck microsoft. Just when i thought the game industry couldn’t get worse..

Let them burn it all down. I feel that MS entering the home console market was shit from the start...I knew they'd pull some stupid stunt. Make a super mediocre console, get your ass kicked by the PS4...see what's coming with the PS5...so you buy the developers to butt fuck them over. Perfect.

Reason 1,234,468 why I don't have a modern gaming console...

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Kinda interesting but probably won’t matter much

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Gamepass is amazing, if I am a casual gamer it would be all I need.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Prepare for Skyrim HD remaster HD remake for Xbox Series X edition. Limited....

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Good, I mostly play bethesda games on modern console. Also, the ps4 had the exclusives but the xbox is better in specs and never had a framedrop on any game. Ps4 slim even has framedrops on ni no kuni 2. Besides a few rpg's I hardly play on it.
Will get a series x when available again, ps5in a year or 2 after launch.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I hold out hope that they'll finally force Bethesda to ditch their 20 year old, infinitely buggy engine that they've been making Fallout and Elder Scrolls games on.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hoping for an Obsidian Fallout :drool:

Oh lord in heaven I didn’t even think of that.

Take my money.

Prepare for Skyrim HD remaster HD remake for Xbox Series X edition. Limited....

We’ll mostly likely see a version for the Series S/X with graphical enhancements.

I doubt I’ll play it but it’s nice to know it would be on gamepass.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Microsoft had 10 Million gamepass subscribers in April of 2020. Apparently as of late September they have 15 million. That’s where the money is from.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I hold out hope that they'll finally force Bethesda to ditch their 20 year old, infinitely buggy engine that they've been making Fallout and Elder Scrolls games on.

Glitches in those games rarely effected my gameplay and I'd like to see a company making games that big and still playable. EA can't even make the simple games bug free, reason why I haven't touched eagames in years.