Missouri gun murders 'rose after law repeal'

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Mr. Aize is straight up brow beating, people. No need to respond anymore.

What is a debate without debate? I apologise to anyone feeling bullied, I don't mean to do that, as I said earlier, I'm just very interested to hear your views on the issue, since they clearly dramatically differ from mine. The issue of any kind of legislation infringing on a core right and setting a dangerous precedent which could be used to damage other rights honestly hadn't occurred to me and is a very persuasive argument.

Mr whisper's point above about teaching safe firearm training and education in schools is an excellent suggestion. Of course you'd never get it past the mothers groups but it is exactly this kind of thing that I would think should be mandatory for firearm ownership. If you want a gun, you have to prove that you've been properly educated in its responsible usage. Its just a shame that you could never put it into law because it would be seen as infringing on the right to bear arms.

Anyways, props to all and thanks for the spirited debate. It was illuminating.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Your questions have been answered. There's no need to continue asking them. Goodbye.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Bullshit…you turn on a TV and see a flood of stories on racism or race issues, turn on MTV and look at the bulk of the programming, watch professional sports and see who plays them, look at channels like Bounce or BET, look at our movies and who is represented in them. If you had never visited the US, you'd swear 50% of the population was black based simply on media. I'm not saying I have a beef with television or movies aimed at black American culture…but to say they are not represented more in the media than you think a group making up less than >15% of the populous would be…you're wrong. I spend quite a bit of time with foreigners that come overseas to work here for Cat…and I'm not lying when I say this question has come up many times.

Yeah, sure if you watch BET. But that is just like going into any black neighborhood.

Sports is sports. Not so black when you throw in Hockey and Auto Racing.

I don't know what of our programming makes it over there, I guess Seinfeld doesn't show up there.

Again though..."gun culture"? No. I said it before and I'll say it again…a gun is a tool or an item, not a culture. This is a fabricated word made to sound dirty…"gun culture" implies criminal activity, hurting someone, murder . The people using terms like that cannot say "violence culture" or "murder culture" because it doesn't properly place the blame or focus on guns...
cul·ture
noun \ˈkəl-chər\

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

But anyways you have no clue about where the phrase Gun Culture started or came from.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Mr whisper's point above about teaching safe firearm training and education in schools is an excellent suggestion. Of course you'd never get it past the mothers groups but it is exactly this kind of thing that I would think should be mandatory for firearm ownership. If you want a gun, you have to prove that you've been properly educated in its responsible usage. Its just a shame that you could never put it into law because it would be seen as infringing on the right to bear arms.
Anyways, props to all and thanks for the spirited debate. It was illuminating.
no you don't, you're being facetious

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, sure if you watch BET. But that is just like going into any black neighborhood.

Sports is sports. Not so black when you throw in Hockey and Auto Racing.

I don't know what of our programming makes it over there, I guess Seinfeld doesn't show up there.

Again though..."gun culture"? No. I said it before and I'll say it again…a gun is a tool or an item, not a culture. This is a fabricated word made to sound dirty…"gun culture" implies criminal activity, hurting someone, murder . The people using terms like that cannot say "violence culture" or "murder culture" because it doesn't properly place the blame or focus on guns...
cul·ture
noun \ˈkəl-chər\

: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time

: a particular society that has its own beliefs, ways of life, art, etc.

: a way of thinking, behaving, or working that exists in a place or organization (such as a business)

But anyways you have no clue about where the phrase Gun Culture started or came from.

Do I need to know? No, it's used a certain way by certain people with certain intent, end of story.

Listen dude...(and look sharp cause now I'm going to get insulting)...if you're too dense to see word manipulation and the flat, undeniable fact that politicians and activists will never cease to blame out societies problems on a inanimate motherfucking object...then you should just steer clear of this issue, because you are ill-informed and obviously too stupid to see the forest for the trees.

I do not understand how you keep skipping over this fact....guns, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, whatever vessel of destruction human beings use to destroy themselves or each other are just tools. Blaming the problem on these things rather than human nature is absolutely absurd and utterly unproductive in terms of getting things fixed. If time/data (the very thing you so love to quote) has proven anything...its that our laws are horribly ineffective. No matter how smart we are, we cannot and will not solve anything with a pointless law, let alone a pile of them stacked on top of each other.

Honestly, I chuckle at the folly of man. Man, in our infinite wisdom, still do the EXACT same thing that has plagued man since the beginning of recorded history. War, crime, rape, murder, drugs...we will NEVER solve this no matter how smart we think we are. Idiotic, arrogant fools are the only ones that think banning some item will stop the murderous nature of the man-animal.

On a long enough timeline...America will ban guns, I fully believe this will happen. When it does happen and if it is in my lifetime...I will quietly chuckle to myself when crime shoots up and murder escalates...because criminals, who will admit to only fearing guns, will turn on us. This is the fucking way of the human...the string turning on the weak is immortal and has happened before any human ever muttered the word "America".

So...if you want to argue words, or sayings or whatever...go ahead. If you want to say guns cause crime or murders...go ahead. But know this, wipe all guns off the face of the planet 100%, wait 24 hrs and watch the news story on the first homicide to happen with a knife/bat/whatever. NOTHING will stop that...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You have never heard of Guns as a way of life? Or as part of a lifestyle? That's a culture.

There are also various Drug Cultures.
Or Automobile Cultures.

I don't see why Gun Culture is such a bad thing.

I grew up around the gun culture. I had friends that would hunt and sport shoot. And would read firarms magazines. There is definitely a culture/sub culture going on here.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
"Sensible" is such a loaded term in this context. The implication is that anyone who does not agree with your "sensible" position is espousing a non-sensible, or nonsense (unreasonable/irrational) position.

What would be "sensible" gun control in America?

Are you aware there are several US States where you don't even even need a license to conceal a handgun on your person?

Should replace sensible with Pragmatic.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
And I just knew some motherfucker would step in and prove my point.

Interesting point and one I tend to agree with. Politicians always push the quick fix because it's popular, people don't want to take a long hard look at themselves, it's unpleasant, so a career minded politician is never going to push the hard route.

I am definitely divided over the issue (of guns in the States, very very glad we don't have them freely available over here). I am finding it easier to see some things from your point, but I don't think I can ever be in agreement enough to believe free access to guns is a positive thing.

I find it amazing that the pro-gun people refuse to believe, or even consider, the argument that more guns = more death. I know someone's going to come along and quote some statistic to say that they don't but I'm afraid that won't wash with me, since I have yet to see a single study that takes into account all the other mitigating factors that can skew the results. I'm really not sure it would be possible to ever manage such a study because there are so many factors to consider, changes in economics, movements of people, random nutters, politicians even what's on tv...

So, how about I explain, as clearly as I can think, my anti-gun position and why I am firm in the belief that more guns=more death.

Guns were invented, to be the most efficient way of killing things, this is a fact correct?

Now picture a scenario, someone's angry enough to kill, they've got a gun, it's a very quick process, from the moment you pick it up, you only have to point and squeeze the trigger.

Now picture a second scenario, someone's angry enough to kill, they've got a knife, granted you can kill someone very quickly with a knife but it's not as easy as with a gun. The other person could fight back, you actually have to be up close to them to do it, someone is more likely to intervene. all these things can take longer and give you longer to calm down and actually think about what you're doing.

Now picture a third scenario, you just have your fists, don't think I have to go right through this one but obviously it is much harder to kill with your fists than with a gun.

Now I'm sure someone's going to bring up the argument that the idea that other people have guns stops people from using theirs/committing violent crimes. I'm afraid I'm not convinced by this one. It is not an easy thing to shoot someone, but all accounts and interviews with serial killers say that it gets easier. Now the bad guys will know this, since they've been through it so although it might be a bit of a consideration, I don't think it's the magic wand to defuse the bad guys that the pro-gun lobby claim it is. If you've got a gang member with a gun, who has used it in the past, trying to commit a home invasion. He will most likely be far more comfortable and ready to use his gun than the home owner is to use his, so the advantage is already with the bad guy.

Now having said all that, sadly I have to agree with the most persuasive argument against a gun ban, that all the bad guys are already armed. There are simply too many guns already in circulation for an effective ban to be enforced. Without some serious draconian moves by the authorities, the guns would remain in the hands of the bad guys and no longer in the hands of people defending their homes.

What it would do, however, is make another school massacre far less likely to happen. From all that I've read about them, none of the massacres have been committed by gang members or even people with an kind of serious criminal record. If there was a gun ban in place, it would be much harder for these people to get hold of the guns, in order to commit these massacres. Yes they could use a knife, and in other countries there are occasionally times when some psychotic goes on a stabbing rampage but the casualties are generally much lower because, as I stated earlier, it's a far less efficient way of killing people.

Now my final point, is one I know is going to be very unpopular so I'll probably get flamed for it but I'm afraid I simply don't think one of your core beliefs works in reality. The idea that all men are created equal and so are entitled to equal rights and have the freedom to exercise those rights absolutely. Whilst I fully support the ideology behind it, I'm not a Nazi, elitist or any other kind of biggot/zenophobe etc but the fact is that all men are not equal. Some are considerably smarter, some are more careless and some more prone to violence. This is from birth, factor in life experiences and you end up with killers and non-killers and those who kill by accident. By firmly clinging to the idea that all men are equal and so have an equal right to bear arms, you preclude the possibility of making it harder for the bad guys and the nutters in society to get the guns. The idea of a psychological profile, training/proficiency exam (like for a driving licence) etc before being allowed to own a gun would seem to me like very sensible things to implement but they are opposed because it is seen as infringing on a freedom. The fact is though, if you look at it completely objectively, it is a freedom that some people shouldn't have and that's indisputable. Ignore for a moment, how it is decided who is deemed safe to own a fire arm and surely anyone can see that allowing someone who is prone to violence, undergoing/undergone a psychological trauma or simply a bit thick/careless to own a firearm is a bad idea.

So lets go through this real fast.

If you really believe the following, the question becomes what is your agenda and why.

" So, how about I explain, as clearly as I can think, my anti-gun position and why I am firm in the belief that more guns=more death. "

It's not because you care about human life. You can say that more of almost anything=more death. But you are only crusading against guns when there are far more pressing issues to be dealt with. You're proving you're not any form of pro human or pro life person, but rather anti rights, the question is for what reason. So for example if you gave a fuck about death in this nation maybe you should be taking action about some of the following issues, rather than trying to formulate an argument of why people should have their constitutionally given rights taken away. for example..

Cancer deaths in 2012 estimated over 500k vs firearms under 40k - Maybe you could crusade against any type of lifestyle that causes cancer - Lets just say smoking, more people die from illness related to that than firearms every year. Seems like it should be more important. Is it?

Deaths from automobile accidents are higher than gun deaths in the US, but do you give a fuck about that. Why shouldn't we all have our cars and trucks taken away and lets just let the military and law enforcement have vehicles. How many lives would that save.

You don't give a fuck about anyone, you just have an issue with firearms.

The remainder of that post is just beyond stupid. All I can say is anyone can invent a one sided scenario to support their skewed ideology.

However it is worth noting the following.

"What it would do, however, is make another school massacre far less likely to happen. From all that I've read about them, none of the massacres have been committed by gang members or even people with an kind of serious criminal record. If there was a gun ban in place, it would be much harder for these people to get hold of the guns, in order to commit these massacres. Yes they could use a knife, and in other countries there are occasionally times when some psychotic goes on a stabbing rampage but the casualties are generally much lower because, as I stated earlier, it's a far less efficient way of killing people."

It's always for the children. Anytime anyone pushing an agenda down someone's throat always has to bring in the children. The argument about helping, saving, or making things better for the children comes up in almost every political BS rant that involves taking away someone's freedoms.

If you gave a shit about the children you would be actively doing something to help problems that are far more directly impacting their lives. But you don't your agenda is to strip someone else of their rights for some reason. But giving the benefit of the doubt what of the following issues are you actively working to do something about.

In 2012, 16.1 million or approximately 22 percent of children in the U.S. lived in poverty

15.9 million children lived in food insecure households in 2012

One in 45 children experience homelessness in America each year OR over 1.6 million children.

Now just those few things. Mind you there are a lot of other issues todays children face, but lets just focus on those. What are you doing about them. Or, let me ask it this way, why are guns so much more of a threat to a child than starvation or homelessness.

How many children die, or suffer from issues related to poverty versus school shootings each year?

You don't give a fuck about children. If you did then you would be spending your energy trying to deal with something more important than the gun in my closet.

In summation.

Fuck you.

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Stuff FAT$TACKS said

SpongeBob-SquarePants-p35.jpg

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Sensible gun control is indeed a loaded term and what is sensible to one person would no doubt be deemed extreme by another. For me, sensible gun control would be laws to prevent the wrong people gaining access to firearms, be it by forcing people to keep them under lock and key, so that their depressed suicidal teenage relative can't load up and go take out a school or preventing someone with violent, aggressive anger management issues buying one and later using it to kill their wife.

I don't disagree with your concept, but the challenge is where do you draw the line? Again, I struggle with it because I am an anti-gun person, but I realize I live in a country that is not so where do I respect those different ideas?

I know many will disagree, but I'd be in favor of a similar process as getting your driver's license and registering your vehicle, but with the firearm. I think a standardized (at least state by state) training program could be beneficial in helping to reduce accidental deaths and injury.

Illinois is allowing concealed carry now under the pretense that you attend a class, but the classes are so all over the place in terms of content and how stringent they are. At least have the owners be educated, because while I get the point of the gun, it is a very dangerous tool if used irresponsibly, much like a car

No you can't prevent all gun deaths from illegal firearms, much like you can't prevent deaths from people driving on no license or a suspended one, but that doesn't mean you can't develop some regulatory system. Rules are always going to be broken, but that does not allow for us to go "Well we can't have rules because not everyone is going to play along." That is why we have the corrective system. Even those that start by the rules don't always end that way, just think of how many people adhered to the rules of the neostore and were honest sellers who just turned face at some point. Bad parallel I know, but my point is the "most people are good natured and law abiding" argument only goes so far, because we all fuck up and there needs to be a system of checks and balances to encourage our playing along.

I agree with the points made about reducing poverty and improving education. I am curious (and I think the data is out there) about the distribution of firearms in relation to SES. Heck you might see fewer firearm purchases if more people are pulled into the middle class from the lower end of the spectrum.

Less gun violence will occur if there are fewer environments for it to be a necessity.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Deaths from automobile accidents are higher than gun deaths in the US, but do you give a fuck about that. Why shouldn't we all have our cars and trucks taken away and lets just let the military and law enforcement have vehicles. How many lives would that save.

Automobiles are one of the most regulated commodities (Tools) in the US.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'll be a bit boring and throw out some more statistics that I think are quite interesting. Of the circa 30,000 gun deaths in the US each year two thirds of them are suicides. The suicide rate in the US is very marginally higher, but marginal enough to be irrelevant, than in the UK. I think this pretty much shows that if someone is planning on killing themselves then they are going to do it whether they have access to a gun or not.

So that leaves 10,000 "real" gun deaths. The UK has about 600 gun deaths a year, and one fifth of the population. Inflate that population to the size of the US and the UK would have around 3,000 gun deaths a year. Obviously there are a lot of other factors involved here but if you wanted to make an anti-gun argument generalisation from that to say that the US attitude to gun control costs 7,000 lives a year, it is an argument that could be made.

So by forming the numbers into pretty much as gun negative an outlook as I could, the cost is 7,000 lives a year. Personally, I don't think it's worth watering down the rights of the US people and changing the constitution to save those 7,000 lives, all lives have to have a price, and I think that's too high. Plus people get enjoyment from guns too, there is a lot of talk of rights and self defence etc but simply enjoying something has a value of it's own.

Of those 7,000 probably 90% are gangbangers anyway.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I don't disagree with your concept, but the challenge is where do you draw the line? Again, I struggle with it because I am an anti-gun person, but I realize I live in a country that is not so where do I respect those different ideas?

I know many will disagree, but I'd be in favor of a similar process as getting your driver's license and registering your vehicle, but with the firearm. I think a standardized (at least state by state) training program could be beneficial in helping to reduce accidental deaths and injury.

Illinois is allowing concealed carry now under the pretense that you attend a class, but the classes are so all over the place in terms of content and how stringent they are. At least have the owners be educated, because while I get the point of the gun, it is a very dangerous tool if used irresponsibly, much like a car

Registration of firearms might be constitutional but I'm uncertain of its efficacy in actually reducing gun violence. That'd be a hard one to study.

Any kind of burden on the right with regard to simply keeping arms is most likely unconstitutional. I don't think you were purporting to say you'd like to see a person take a test/safety class simply to own a firearm.

Licensing of the carrying of arms in public is probably constitutional (or - will probably be found constitutional) if that the process is objective and doesn't present itself as a burden to the exercising of the right. To clarify, I imagine the process to get the permit must be relatively speedy (it must be accomplished within a certain legally defined time frame), is not too costly, and all who apply will be issued a permit so long as they meet a set of criteria. The criteria being that they are not a prohibited person and they have passed the mandated safety/training course (and possible live fire course) if the state deems such a course necessary (most do.)

Regardless I think we'll see SCOTUS pick up a "bear arms" case soon.

With the United States 9th Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruling that San Diego (and thus the state of CA) can't make citizens show "good cause" (that is show a reason why the need a permit) for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed firearm. Some other circuit courts have ruled differently, but even from the Heller decision it's pretty clear SCOTUS' interpretation is that the state must allow carry in some form (open or concealed.)

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Registration of firearms might be constitutional but I'm uncertain of its efficacy in actually reducing gun violence. That'd be a hard one to study.

Any kind of burden on the right with regard to simply keeping arms is most likely unconstitutional. I don't think you were purporting to say you'd like to see a person take a test/safety class simply to own a firearm.

Licensing of the carrying of arms in public is probably constitutional (or - will probably be found constitutional) if that the process is objective and doesn't present itself as a burden to the exercising of the right. To clarify, I imagine the process to get the permit must be relatively speedy (it must be accomplished within a certain legally defined time frame), is not too costly, and all who apply will be issued a permit so long as they meet a set of criteria. The criteria being that they are not a prohibited person and they have passed the mandated safety/training course (and possible live fire course) if the state deems such a course necessary (most do.)

Regardless I think we'll see SCOTUS pick up a "bear arms" case soon.

With the United States 9th Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruling that San Diego (and thus the state of CA) can't make citizens show "good cause" (that is show a reason why the need a permit) for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed firearm. Some other circuit courts have ruled differently, but even from the Heller decision it's pretty clear SCOTUS' interpretation is that the state must allow carry in some form (open or concealed.)

I'm not sure how much it would significantly curtail gun violence, but perhaps it could lead to finding people who commit gun violence quicker. I am not sure, but I am personally oppose to the idea.

I am curious how you view the changing of the definition as history has progressed. I've been looking a bit into the logistics of why the amendment was put in place anyway and it seems that some of the goals have definitely changed or are simply gone.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Gotta say I love Fat $tack's response.

Yup.

I've focused on humanitarian issues in the past but for this tired conversation, I decided to focus on gun owners rights.

As usual, we focus on the tiny sliver in our right finger rather than the giant board sticking clean through our left arm.

People, armed with prejudice, want to ban something. Like stacks said...if someone would just say "I fucking hate guns and I want your taken away...I have no real reason why, go fuck yourself." It would be a much easier pill to swallow rather than the statistically irrelevant "facts" they try to blame their prejudice on.

Like stacks said (and points I touched on myself)...we have MAJOR social issues here in America and guns are such a small part of that, they should be item 177 on a list of 200 rather than in the top 5 like so many chose to place it.

But...they are easy targets...and prejudice people love easy targets.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm not sure how much it would significantly curtail gun violence, but perhaps it could lead to finding people who commit gun violence quicker. I am not sure, but I am personally oppose to the idea.

I am curious how you view the changing of the definition as history has progressed. I've been looking a bit into the logistics of why the amendment was put in place anyway and it seems that some of the goals have definitely changed or are simply gone.

Well I'm certain the intent of the amendment was to allow free men to maintain arms as a means to resist an oppressive state. "Experience hath shewn" and all that. In the 18th and early 19th century I'm certain a firearm was also a means to secure a livelihood out on the frontier, with a secondary consideration being self defense (probably against Native Americans.)

Today the Supreme Court interprets the core purpose of the Second Amendment as allowing the keeping and/or bearing of arms for lawful self defense.

Which I would agree with. While ultimately private ownership of arms can and does serve as a check against a state monopoly on arms in modern society it's probably more relevant for defensive purposes.

Even if the majority of all shooters are recreational or sportsman.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well I'm certain the intent of the amendment was to allow free men to maintain arms as a means to resist an oppressive state. "Experience hath shewn" and all that. In the 18th and early 19th century I'm certain a firearm was also a means to secure a livelihood out on the frontier, with a secondary consideration being self defense (probably against Native Americans.)

A lot of people say that the well regulated militia part was due to Jefferson's disdain for a standing army. The idea that an armed citizenry could defend the state from all threats. Foreign and domestic. Didn't work out so well during the battle of 1812.

But it really doesn't' matter why. Just like it doesn't matter why we give automatic citizenship to every person born on US soil.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
One reason I'm a big skeptic of arms control is because a lot of gun control legislation banning firearms and the carrying of arms in public in the late 19th and early 20th century were enacted specifically to disarm blacks and other minorities. The banning of firearms is a means of control whose end is often simply control. Not safety. Well, maybe safety for the status quo white power structure. In California's early history the legislature sought to disarm freed blacks, Chinese, Japanese, and Mexicans. In the 1960s the legislature banned the open carrying of loaded firearms as mean to punish and weaken dissident groups such as the Blank Panthers.

EDIT: As well as to disarm politically unsavory groups such as communists, marxists, bolsheviks, anarchists, etc.

A lot of people say that the well regulated militia part was due to Jefferson's disdain for a standing army. The idea that an armed citizenry could defend the state from all threats. Foreign and domestic. Didn't work out so well during the battle of 1812.

But it really doesn't' matter why. Just like it doesn't matter why we give automatic citizenship to every person born on US soil.

I have no great love of a standing army. But any student of history can tell you that a professional army will 9.9 times out 10 beat a citizen-militia defense force.

Last edited: