Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Heathers - out of any movie, this is the one I'd watch with wasabi.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
He Never Died
rented this one last night...great low budget film. Rollins is entertaining with his dry humor and violent outbursts. The movie moves along well and in the end, it makes for an decent package. Definitely worth watching if you come across it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Revenant - Leo won an Oscar, but did Tom Hardy win one too? Because he's clearly the best actor in this film. His character also did a reasonable thing, trying to give a dying man mercy instead of letting him die days later. But because this is a movie and not real life of course all his wounds are healed like a week later, despite being viciously mauled by a grizzly. So he's a bad guy, I guess.

Good movie, not great.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Big Eyes- Wow, Tim Burton actually made another good movie, not great but good. I think he does best with these smaller and more focused projects.

The Dead Girl- Interesting mix of psycho horror/thriller and mystery brought together as seemingly separate peoples lives intersect to reveal the truth behind a murder. Has kind of a True Detective feel even though it's from 06'.

Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans- Doc. about the struggles of McQueen trying to get Le Mans made. Slow but very interesting.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Steve McQueen: The Man and Le Mans- Doc. about the struggles of McQueen trying to get Le Mans made. Slow but very interesting.
Have you seen Bullitt? It's kind of a slow movie (as just about all American/Hollywood movies made before the late 60's/early 70's are, for some reason), but the car chase scene (in San Francisco) is good. Probably Towering Inferno is my favorite McQueen movie.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
10 Cloverfield Lane

So long as you don't go in expecting anything like the first movie, you'll likely enjoy it. Unfortunately I can't talk a lot about it other than to say that it's very tense, John Goodman is awesome playing a complicated character (creepy doomsday prepper/conspiracy theorist) and the end sequence lasted about 10 minutes longer than it should have.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Maze Runner

Really not a great movie.. For some reason, I could not stop watching it. It's one of those that has enough going on and keeps your attention without needing to devote 100% of your attention to it. Now I need to watch second one in the series.

Bridge of Spies

I really liked this one! Good story with enough historical reference while not allowing it to drag the movie into the documentary realm.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Maze Runner: Scorch Trials

I was looking forward to this after watching the first one. I could not get into it at all. The plot was thin, and predictable. Which was expected, but it was really bad. This was such a let down.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Batman vs Superman - 'summer superhero blockbuster released in March' about sums it up.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Just watched Creed yesterday, I liked it. He's no Action Jackson though...

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
THX 1138

Wow! I really liked this one a lot! I watched it this morning, and then watched the "making of" on youtube. I was really surprised by just how much I liked this.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The Hateful Eight - Tarantino is a huge faggot. Could've done without the white guy sucking a big black dick. Could've done without Zoe Bell. Could've done without the second worst Tarantino self-insertion into his own film. On the plus side, lots of great acting, especially from the bitch, the sheriff and Kurt. The old general was good, too. Not a great film, but good. Misogynistic? No. This movie treated the woman as an equal.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The Revenant - Leo won an Oscar, but did Tom Hardy win one too? Because he's clearly the best actor in this film. His character also did a reasonable thing, trying to give a dying man mercy instead of letting him die days later. But because this is a movie and not real life of course all his wounds are healed like a week later, despite being viciously mauled by a grizzly. So he's a bad guy, I guess.

Good movie, not great.

glad i read the thread before posting an identical comment. so yeah, hardy was the better actor of the two. dicaprio was good, but has done better roles. loved the visuals, good movie but not oscar worthy. probably won't watch again.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Watched The Last Dragon at the theater. It was pretty cool reliving the 80s for a little bit. Also got to meet Taimak a.k.a. Bruce Leroy, its too bad shonuff & vanity had to die, would love to have met them too.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Kingsman - Secrect Service

Watched it via HBO Go I was truly really impressed by the fight scenes from the last half of the film they were a complete surprise and blew me away, the story is explained in any commercial or trailer so I wasn't surprised by any twists or turns but the the actors involved were a bit of a shock and they all did very well outside there known genres or typecasting. I was familiar with the source material and Mark Millars comics and they're various screen adaptations so I figured it would be atleast mildly entertaining but I wish I had seen it in the theater only to show box office support to Millars projects.
Recommend

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Watched The Last Dragon at the theater. It was pretty cool reliving the 80s for a little bit. Also got to meet Taimak a.k.a. Bruce Leroy, its too bad shonuff & vanity had to die, would love to have met them too.

That's awesome!

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Saw hardcore henry last night and really enjoyed it. Don't expect any depth of story or character development coz you'll not find it here.
If you want some over the top gory action and you leave you're rational thought outside the cinema buckle up for a wild ride.
Some may not like the first person perspective but i loved it, it's like the FPS part of the doom film but with a COD flavour.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Saw hardcore henry last night and really enjoyed it. Don't expect any depth of story or character development coz you'll not find it here.
If you want some over the top gory action and you leave you're rational thought outside the cinema buckle up for a wild ride.
Some may not like the first person perspective but i loved it, it's like the FPS part of the doom film but with a COD flavour.

I want to watch this but I'm concerned I'll get sick of the First Person POV. Did you get sick or anything during the movie because of that?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I actually liked Batman vs Superman, for the most part. Could have done without the dream sequences and the final scene really dragged. It's essentially a very good Batman movie duct taped to a very mediocre Superman movie. Affleck is easily the best live action Batman. His fight scenes were extremely well done. I thought it was better than any live action Batman or Superman except Batman 66, Batman 89, and Superman the Movie. I'm not a fan of Returns, TDK Trilogy, or any of the subsequent Reeve Superman films. Or Schumaker Batman, obviously.

I just want Aquaman, The Flash, and Batman to get good solo films out of this universe. They can fuck up Green Lantern Corps, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Superman, etc all they want. And of course Justice League has to deliver; it's the whole point.

I really liked Creed. Probably on par with Rocky II and Rocky Balboa. Not as good as Rocky but better than III and IV and leagues ahead of V. Overall I still love 6/7 Rocky films, so that's a pretty good batting average for a big film franchise.

Going to watch Justice League vs Teen Titans tonight. Hopefully it's as good as Bad Blood. Not really a fan of Damien Wayne though. Plus his two movies were easily the weakest of the DC Animated Originals.

Also waiting on the Blu Ray for Deadpool. Never made it to the theaters so I'm excited to see it.

Still so many comic films coming out later this year. X-Men Apocalypse, Civil War, Suicide Squad, The Killing Joke, Doctor Strange, another Batman Unlimited and another LEGO JL. Really nice variety after we've already gotten Deadpool, JL vs Titans, Bad Blood, LEGO JL Cosmic Clash, and BvS.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Chappie- Eh, I've been able to enjoy this more with a couple of viewing since I first saw it last year or whenever. Technically amazing, I'd say it's worth watching once just to see the robots and action.

From Hell- Jonny Depp figures out who Jack the Ripper is and that he was sanctioned by the royal family. LOL. I should read the comic one of these days.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Everest - White people climbing mountains & dying...White people always want to be on top smh. I still enjoyed it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 2.

Wow...ok, so this was a giant pile of shit. I'll gladly admit that since I saw the first one back in 2013, I've actually enjoyed these films. No, they're not masterpieces, but they have been entertaining. Looking at the scores over at RT, they fall this way:

Pt 1- 84%
Pt 2- 89%
Pt 3- 65%
Pt 4- 70%

Seeing that, I guess I expected Pt 4 to be better than 3...boy was I wrong. Possibly it's just me, but Pt 4 was just a huge fucking mess. It comes across as a giant cluster-fuck or pieced together scenes with giant time jumps in between...then one more HUGE time jump and THE END, how this one scored higher than Pt 3 is beyond me. What's odd is all of this hopping around still manages to take up 137min...WAY too long for such little content.

In the end, I really enjoyed the series...but 4 is pretty shitty...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
My Vinyl Weighs A Ton: This is Stones Throw Records- Pretty good doc about the history of west coast underground hip-hop record label Stones Throw. Lots of good interviews, performance footage and early/obscure music.

Recommended.