Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I rewatched Bodyguards and Assassins last weekend and I still love the hell out of this movie. Recommended.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Captain America: Civil War

Overrated, poorly constructed and with a stupid premise forming the backbone of the superhero showdown.

The action was fun, and the parts that were a natural follow up to The Winter Soldier were great, but Spider-Man was shoehorned into this movie in the worst way possible. He was fun to watch, but the whole thing is dumb.

Tony and Steve could have just fought over Bucky's fate. Would have been a better movie from a narrative construction standpoint.

Also, Chris Evans is now the prime player in the Marvel movies from a performance/quality perspective.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Overrated, poorly constructed and with a stupid premise forming the backbone of the superhero showdown.

The action was fun, and the parts that were a natural follow up to The Winter Soldier were great, but Spider-Man was shoehorned into this movie in the worst way possible. He was fun to watch, but the whole thing is dumb.

Tony and Steve could have just fought over Bucky's fate. Would have been a better movie from a narrative construction standpoint.

Also, Chris Evans is now the prime player in the Marvel movies from a performance/quality perspective.

This is mostly what I thought it would be.

I know "to each their own", but I'm getting tired of moron fanboys cumming all over these films. I've seen nearly all of them, both Avengers, C America 1/2, Iron Man 1/2....none of them have been all that great and not a one of them have been worthy of much praise. Their all overdone with too much CG shit and piss poor writing. Like the rest, I'll rent this new one some time much later.

I will say that I highly enjoyed Deadpool and Guardians...I have high hopes for the part 2 of both of them...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Sid and Nacy- Man Gary Oldman was young as fuck.

Terminator Genisys- Garbage.

Mission Impossible- Rouge Nation- Dumb and enjoyable. Better than the last couple Bond flicks though.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

The fight over Bucky combined with the fight over "accountability" didn't really work for me either. Felt like they were almost two separate storylines.

That said, I enjoyed the movie. Great action as you said. I love Spiderman in this. I thought he was great, though, I could see the whole "I'm a kid" schtick getting tiresome. Still I like the decision to go with a more Ultimat Spiderman vs what we've already seen. I hope his upcoming movie isn't another god damned Origin story.

Probably not my favorite MCU film. Still at the end of the day it was dumb.

I have been enjoying going to 1-2 Marvel films each year and seeing the whole thing build up. The fact that some of the MCU films are actually great (Guardians, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, etc) is just icing on the cake for me.

I'm probably one of those cumming fanboys smokehouse is ranting about :emb:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Antman was the best thing about the airport showdown. Such an inventive use of his power set to change the flow of the fight every single time. Paul Rudd is a natural in the role.

Spidey was great, but he did everything I expected him to and Marvel handled him right in terms of presence, personality and abilities. But with Antman, just like in his solo movie, they vastly exceeded my expectations.

The new Spider-Man movie will not be an origin story, by the way. They decided we all know it now so they aren't going to regurgitate it again.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Antman was the best thing about the airport showdown. Such an inventive use of his power set to change the flow of the fight every single time. Paul Rudd is a natural in the role.

Spidey was great, but he did everything I expected him to and Marvel handled him right in terms of presence, personality and abilities. But with Antman, just like in his solo movie, they vastly exceeded my expectations.

The new Spider-Man movie will not be an origin story, by the way. They decided we all know it now so they aren't going to regurgitate it again.

Agreed on everything here. I had no idea Antman was even in the film...afterwards I double checked the poster and there he was in ant form on Cap's shield. I imagine Paul Rudd wasn't pleased with that - who would? But it was great for me because it was such a surprise.

Having an actual teenager cast as Spidey is such a great move. So Disney/Marvel have the rights now, it's not going to be Sony anymore? Great news.

I really want to play Captain America and the Avengers now.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Saw Civil War as well.

Spiderman and Antman were pitch perfect. Having them just in a couple of scenes certainly helps so they don't wear out their welcome but yeah, that airport fight scene was incredible.

The rest of it? Ehh. The directors did a great job managing busy action scenes and setting up the new characters but the main story could've been about a half an hour shorter. Seriously. These movies have gotten out of control long.

Having an actual teenager cast as Spidey is such a great move. So Disney/Marvel have the rights now, it's not going to be Sony anymore? Great news.

Marvel has creative control but Sony still controls the rights and shares in the profits from anything Spiderman's in. That's at least how the deal struck me.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The Spider-Man Sony-Disney deal:

As I understand it, here's how it works.

Sony retains the rights to distribute the films and gets ALL of the profits from the movie's take.

However...

Disney gets ALL merchandising profits. So all those Spider-Man: Homecoming toys that are coming? Sony won't get a single penny of any of that. It's all the Mouse.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Saw Civil War as well, walked away wanting to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther movies

Also saw Dear White People
-I regret not seeing it sooner, really good ensemble piece

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Saw Civil War as well, walked away wanting to see Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther movies

Also saw Dear White People
-I regret not seeing it sooner, really good ensemble piece

Heard a lot of good things about "Dear White People." Did you see Dope? I thought it was great!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member

More overrated and poorly-constructed than the first one? Ugh, that's hard to believe.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Watched Sicario the other night and was very disappointed. It pretends to be so much more, than it actually is. I only liked Deakins' shots and the early shootout on the border. Everything else was either borrowed from better movies or simply unnecessary. I can elaborate on this, if needed.

I can highly recommend "Zulu" with Forest Whitaker, though. It's was not liked by critics, so it doesn't have to pretend anything. Not a flawless, yet a very engaging journey to South Africa with some stark storytelling to offer.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I recommend Zulu with Michael Caine. A good movie with a terrific John Barry score.

That, too ;). Young Michael Caine & Barry's music is a clear win/win. The Twilight Time Limited Edition blu-ray offers it even as an isolated M&E track. Tho as usual, it's US-only.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
More overrated and poorly-constructed than the first one? Ugh, that's hard to believe.

The first one was incredibly underrated. It made only a bit more than the Incredible Hulk, which was the worst selling Marvel Movie to date.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The first one was incredibly underrated. It made only a bit more than the Incredible Hulk, which was the worst selling Marvel Movie to date.

Wait. You're saying Sicario was poorly done...but calling the pile of tripe that was Captain America "incredibly underrated"?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Super hero movies bore me now. It was cool a decade ago, but its so played out now. There needs to be more sports movies, like A League of Their Own, or Major League. Or at least something non sport related with some damn meaning that doesnt try to sell you on special effects or "epicness".

I pretty much just watch foreign and independant movies these days. At least they have an original plot, and normally try and portray some sort of feeling other than "wow! Thats cool".

Im not even a sports fan, but i miss those good sport movies from the 80's and 90's. The last good sport movie I can recall was "Sugar" and that was a long time ago now.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

It fucken sucked balls, dont believe me?

go watch it

i've always had a dislike towards the avengers movies. it's as if i'm the only person who could see how cheesy, and at times, cringing the editing and acting can be. my biggest complaint is scarlett johansson and her stunt double. i haven't seen stunt double transitions this bad since low budget action movies from the early 90's. it's so obvious when the short and chubby scarlett is on screen to when she's replaced with a stunt double who is taller and thinner. and not to mention the monotone and lifeless dialogue of robert downey jr, highest paid actor in hollywood my ass. i just can't seem to take this "highest grossing movie of all time" seriously.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Super hero movies bore me now. It was cool a decade ago, but its so played out now. There needs to be more sports movies, like A League of Their Own, or Major League. Or at least something non sport related with some damn meaning that doesnt try to sell you on special effects or "epicness".

I pretty much just watch foreign and independant movies these days. At least they have an original plot, and normally try and portray some sort of feeling other than "wow! Thats cool".

Im not even a sports fan, but i miss those good sport movies from the 80's and 90's. The last good sport movie I can recall was "Sugar" and that was a long time ago now.

Have you seen "Goon"?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Have you seen "Goon"?

No, but i will look it up after work.

Some of my favorite foreign movies are city of god, sin nombre, pans labyrinth, and turtles can fly. Which are all old now. I really need to start researching again and checking out some new foreign flicks.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The first Captain America is a chunk of shit. The first part with Evans as skinny Steve is not bad, but everything after is so incredibly by-the-numbers and soulless. The "human" story between Captain America and whatshername is pathetically afterthought-style superficial to a level we didn't see again until Ant-Man. The entire movie plays out like a checklist, with each item getting ticked off in a completely workmanlike manner. Joe Johnson: great special effects guy, terrible director, and Marvel replacing him for the sequel was possibly the single smartest decision they've made since they started these movies.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
And don't get me started on that musical theater number that drags on forever. Yeah, that's exactly what I want in my super-hero movies: an extended Andrew Lloyd Webber singing and dancing routine.