Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Nope, never a Beatty fan.
If you've never seen it, why would you say something like that? You can't compare it to something you haven't seen.

Ishtar is a brilliant film that almost no one has actually watched, and 99% of the people that comment on its failure base it on the uninformed reviews of its time.

Also, being a Beatty fan has nothing to do with it, as the character he played was completely different from his standard fare.

You should watch it. It's Infinitely quotable, and has some of Paul Williams' best work. It's a shame they never released the soundtrack.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Well, I've no intention of watching either based off of reviews, post, etc of people who wasted their money.

Apparently this isn't so bad it's good. People paid to say their opinions compared the two.

And while typing this I realized I have seen about 10 minutes of Ishtar. I woke up and watched a bit before putting on Sportscenter.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Bumblebee,just saw it recently in theaters a transformers movie done right finally.If you're a fan of "G1 transformers" then this is one to see a far more faithful adaptation compare to bayformers :p Still it's a shame this movie is set as a prequel,id rather it be a reboot to start over with.Beside the movie isn't doing well at the box office so i doubt there be another at all.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Let me put it this way, I value people's opinions pretty equally so if the majority feel there's much better films to see I typically look elsewhere.

You are someone who enjoyed Ishtar, great, I now know someone. But defending it...well...I'm sure you're just trying to trick some sucker into watching it. :rofl:

If a comedy can't hook me in 10 minutes, at any point in the film, why would I watch it?

I mentioned disliking Beatty and you are seriously underestimating how my dislike of an actor affects my movie choices.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The Blu-Ray boxset is quite nice. Worth the $15 easily.

Tombstone- Val Kilmers best perfomance. The whole movie is awesome but damn if he doesn't steal every fucking scene.
The only thing I don't like about Tombstone is the narration at the end, which they used when they realized they didn't really have an ending for the movie. So they tack that on and try to make it seem like Russel abandoning his drug addicted wife was a happy thing.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
E.T.-Watched the non fixed old school version with my 4yo. He loved it and if I'm honest I still love it too. Great tale about friendship and I love the music - it really makes the movie a lot better.

Bird Box pretty decent but I did find myself thinking how similar it is to other apocalypse films. A mix of World War Z minus the zombies and A Quiet place and another Netflix movie I cannot remember the name of.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The only thing I don't like about Tombstone is the narration at the end, which they used when they realized they didn't really have an ending for the movie. So they tack that on and try to make it seem like Russel abandoning his drug addicted wife was a happy thing.

Yeah that was an odd choice.

The Small Hours- It was okay. Fred Armistan was a nice surprise as the Pontiff.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Goosebumps 2 - Good fun, semi-creepy horror for the kids. Way more OTT than the first movie in terms of monsters and animated creatures. 2.5/5

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Aquaman:
It was OK. Id put it on the same level as Batman Veeeeeee Superman: Martha Edition. Better than Justice League, but not as good as Wonder Woman or Man of Steel. Momoa is great as the character, but for all the trying and doing to make Aquaman more than 'the guy who talks to fish,' it can only go so far. I don't know who the girl is that played Mera, but she was very wooden. No one should give Nicole Kidman anymore work, and it was nice to see Temura Morrison in something. I dont know who was in charge of music for the movie, but the "Aquaman theme" that you hear throughout the movie was kinda lame. BONG-BOOONNNGGG..... Also, so many terrible songs peppered through the film like a horrible, HORRIBLE cover of Toto's Africa. And the end credits song sounded like it was something out of a Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks re-remake of Sleepless/YouGotMail.

Black Manta was a fuckin' joke and had 5 minutes of screen time. Poorman's Kevin Hart in heels as the guy was awful. They should have let the dad become Black Manta, or maybe have the dude that voiced him and Aqualad from Young Justice play him. Hopefully he gets a better turn in the expected sequel. He was just terrible.

The Beyond:
The premise seemed interesting but really petered out and turned into something like a boring Interstellar - and that's saying something. I like the Documentary style of the film but the stuff you wanna know about, re: the aliens and the Human 2.0 suits were completely glossed over. I dont know if this is a Netflix original, but it was pretty boring.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Also, so many terrible songs peppered through the film like a horrible, HORRIBLE cover of Toto's Africa.
I don't know what the fuck WB's problem is, but this has been plaguing the DC movies for a while. Mostly in trailers, but still.

When Marvel/Disney wants to use an AC/DC song, a Led Zeppelin song, or whatever, they buy the rights and use the song. Liberally. But when DC/WB wants to use a famous song, they get some eye-rollingly horrible cover version. wtf

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't know what the fuck WB's problem is, but this has been plaguing the DC movies for a while. Mostly in trailers, but still.

When Marvel/Disney wants to use an AC/DC song, a Led Zeppelin song, or whatever, they buy the rights and use the song. Liberally. But when DC/WB wants to use a famous song, they get some eye-rollingly horrible cover version. wtf

Between DC/WB and Marvel Disney, it’s still hell.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah that was an odd choice.

The Small Hours- It was okay. Fred Armistan was a nice surprise as the Pontiff.

I really enjoyed this one. Something about Aubrey Plaza’s raging reminded me of the Nutrigrain bar commercial from years ago.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Saw Sherlock & Holmes. Pretty damn funny.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Saw Avengers: Infinity War and it was okay. Fun and dumb so there ya go. Had a lot more fun with Aquaman. Stellar cast, lots of action and awesome world-building. Trying to figure out my New Year's Eve movie now...need some suggestions.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Terrifier - old-school slasher taken to its extreme. Art the Clown makes a pretty good bad guy, and there were a few kills that were just, yeesh. Good if you like the genre.

Cold In July - Michael C. Hall and Don Johnson in one of the weirder revenge-type movies I've seen. The story doesn't make much sense, but the general feel is good and so's the acting. Okay, but overrated (it has a surprisingly high review average at RT).

Cam - cam girl gets her account (and face, and voice, and everything else) stolen and she tries to figure out what's going on. Really interesting premise and a good effort considering it's basically an amateur film, but the ending doesn't work well at all.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Saw Avengers: Infinity War and it was okay. Fun and dumb so there ya go. Had a lot more fun with Aquaman. Stellar cast, lots of action and awesome world-building. Trying to figure out my New Year's Eve movie now...need some suggestions.

ok, try watching Ironman 2, and tell me it's not so bad to look at that you need to bleach your eyes afterwards.

The RDJ Ironman is just a headshot in front of a greenscreen, and that's the best of it. The worst is everything outside of that headshot box.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Bad Times at the El Royale - much as I normally like Drew Goddard, this is overrated. Hemsworth adds some life to it when he finally shows up in the last act, but on the whole it's entirely too long, pretentious, and boring.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My kids has been really into Sherlock Holmes, so they been watching the tv series Sherlock.

Last night we watched
Young Sherlock Holmes & Mr. Holmes - Ian McKellen was awesome! Some similarities to Christopher Plummer in Remember. These two old dudes know how to play two really old dudes losing their memory.

Im thinking of showing them either Robert Downey version or Cushing & Rathbone but these might be too old for them.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Bird Box
One of those movies where the story itself is pretty bland, but the themes are pretty thoroughly covered. Everyone involved probably shit their pants when A Quiet Place came out. I'm wondering two things.

1) Was the antagonist supposed to be a twist on the demon that was featured in The Exorcist, a Babylonian god of the wind?

2) What grocery store sells birds?

Blade Runner
Lined this up for Roy's monologue at midnight for new year's.

ok, try watching Ironman 2, and tell me it's not so bad to look at that you need to bleach your eyes afterwards.

The RDJ Ironman is just a headshot in front of a greenscreen, and that's the best of it. The worst is everything outside of that headshot box.

At least it doesn't look nearly as bad as Ruffalo in the Hulk Buster. Woof. Focus, tracking, and lighting are off in almost every shot.

Bird Box - a lot left unexplained or unexplored and some ridiculous coincidence but decent all the same. Like the Happening but with a script. It's sad to see the scrappy bit parts John Malkovich manages to muster these days.

I think this is a choice on his part. My friend sees him once in a while and he's not hurting.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Maximum Overdrive - Hilariously awful, and also completely awesome. This was one of the first (maybe the first?) times that Stephen King directed one of his own scripts, and he was just so, so bad at it. The dialogue is amazingly bad, too, but I suppose it's closer to par for other bad 1986 stuff. And Christ there is a lot of AC/DC.

I'd never seen it before, and it lived up to its reputation.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Maximum Overdrive - Hilariously awful, and also completely awesome. This was one of the first (maybe the first?) times that Stephen King directed one of his own scripts, and he was just so, so bad at it. The dialogue is amazingly bad, too, but I suppose it's closer to par for other bad 1986 stuff. And Christ there is a lot of AC/DC.

I'd never seen it before, and it lived up to its reputation.

He was on so many drugs that he doesn't even remember creating that movie.